- What is the youtube addiction?
- What is considered youtube addiction?
- How much youtube is too much?
- Some alarming youtube addiction statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the youtube addiction
- Symptoms & Signs of youtube addiction
- Possible causes of youtube dependency
- Why is youtube so addictive?
- Problem, bad effects & consequences of youtube
- creating general health problems
- affecting your brain & mental health
- affecting your relationships
- How to stop your youtube addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the youtube addiction
- Best youtube blocker apps & software
- Best books to quit youtube
- where to seek extra help?
Am I Addicted To youtube?
Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions to Fortnite, Facebook, Instagram, porn, Netflix, Youtube, Tinder… (find them all here).
Today, let’s talk about the youtube addiction.
YouTube is a website where users can upload, share, and view videos.
youtube, a “real” addiction?
Officialy an addiction?
Let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes youtube addiction?
There is no formal diagnosis of “youtube addiction” in the DSM-5, but there are diagnoses that could potentially be associated with excessive youtube use, such as internet gaming disorder or internet use disorder.
So what is the youtube addiction?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is not an official diagnosis. However, some experts suggest that youtube addiction may refer to a person’s excessive use of the website and/or video content to the point where it negatively impacts their daily life. This may include neglecting responsibilities, social interactions, and/or physical activity in favor of watching youtube videos. In severe cases, youtube addiction may lead to financial, relationship, and/or health problems.
What is considered youtube addiction?
- 1. You spend more time watching YouTube videos than you do interacting with other people in person.
- 2. You find yourself getting irritated or even angry when you can’t watch YouTube videos.
- 3. You neglect your responsibilities in favor of watching YouTube videos.
- 4. You have trouble concentrate on anything else besides YouTube videos.
- 5. You find yourself losing track of time when you’re watching YouTube videos.
How much youtube is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the individual. Some people may be able to spend hours on YouTube without any negative effects, while others may find that even a short amount of time browsing can be detrimental to their productivity. If you find that you are spending more time on YouTube than you would like, or that it is impacting your ability to complete tasks, it may be best to limit your time on the site.
Some alarming youtube addiction statistics
There is no definitive research on the statistics of YouTube addiction, as the condition is not formally recognized as a disorder. However, a recent study found that 8.2% of American adults reported feeling addicted to the internet, and a further 5.8% reported feeling addicted to social media. It is likely that a significant proportion of these individuals are also addicted to YouTube.
Symptoms & Causes of the youtube addiction
Why is youtube so addictive?
There is no one answer to this question as people can be addicted to YouTube for different reasons. Some people may find YouTube addicting because it provides a never-ending stream of content to watch, while others may be drawn to the site because it allows them to connect with other people who share their interests.
Additionally, some people may find the platform addicting because it offers a sense of escapism from their everyday lives.
Possible causes of youtube dependency
There are many possible causes of YouTube addiction. Some people may be addicted to the platform because it provides a never-ending stream of content that can be consumed for hours at a time. Others may be addicted to the social interaction that YouTube provides, or the sense of community that can be found on the site.
Additionally, some people may be addicted to the attention and validation that they receive from others in the form of likes, comments, and views.
Signs & Symptoms of youtube addiction
- 1. You can’t go more than a few hours without watching a YouTube video.
- 2. You have multiple YouTube channels that you watch regularly.
- 3. You have commented on a YouTube video.
- 4. You have liked or disliked a YouTube video.
- 5. You have uploaded a YouTube video.
- 6. You have subscribed to a YouTube channel.
- 7. You have checked your YouTube analytics.
Problem, consequences & bad effects of youtube
What are some benefits of youtube
There are many pros and advantages to YouTube. Some of these include:
-YouTube is a great way to keep up with current events and news.
-You can watch your favorite shows and movies on YouTube.
-YouTube is a great way to learn new things.
-You can find just about anything you’re looking for on YouTube.
-YouTube is a great way to connect with friends and family.
But at the opposite, what can be some youtube addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is no definitive answer to this question as the effects of YouTube on health can vary depending on the individual. Some people may find that watching YouTube videos helps them relax and destress, while others may find that it increases their anxiety levels. There is also the potential for YouTube addiction, which can lead to a number of negative consequences including sleep deprivation, social isolation, and poor mental health. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether the benefits of YouTube outweigh the risks.
affecting your brain & mental health
- 1. You may become less productive.
- 2. You may become addicted to youtube.
- 3. You may become less active.
- 4. You may become less social.
Is youtube bad for your mental health?
- 1. Increased anxiety and stress: Watching videos on YouTube can sometimes trigger anxiety and stress, especially if the videos are graphic or disturbing.
- 2. Depression: Some people may become depressed after watching videos on YouTube, especially if they are sad, sentimental, or depressing in nature.
- 3. Social isolation: YouTube can sometimes lead to social isolation if people spend too much time watching videos and not interacting with others.
- 4. Negative body image: Some people may develop negative body image issues after watching videos on YouTube that feature thin or perfect-looking people.
- 5. Addiction: Some people may become addicted to watching YouTube videos, which can lead to problems with work, school, and personal relationships.
affecting your relationship
There is no definitive answer to this question as the effects of YouTube on relationships can vary greatly depending on the individuals involved and how they use the platform. Some people may find that YouTube brings them closer together as a couple by providing a shared interest or activity, while others may find that it leads to arguments and conflict. Ultimately, it is up to each couple to decide how they want to use YouTube in their relationship.
How To Stop Your youtube Addiction
So you think you are addicted to youtube and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for youtube ?
Here are the best solutions, steps, ressources and help you can get to treat your youtube addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the youtube addiction
- 1. Find the root cause of the addiction.
- 2. Set realistic goals for quitting.
- 3. Create a support system.
- 4. Avoid triggers.
- 5. Seek professional help if needed.
That’s what most documentation outhere is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including youtube:
1. Purge temptations
Cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your youtube accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up:
Click here if you want to see more of the Digital Purge!
2. Spot & Reveal your emotional triggers
There are some reasons, often hidden ones, that your brain and your heart love so much youtube. Those reasons act as triggers to pull your cravings. Rather than chasing the addiction, it’s a more efficient strategy to look at the feelings driving you toward it. That way you can cure and heal the feeling. You’ll feel better and the cravings will magically disapear.
3. Rewire to life
An addiction FOMO (fear of missing out) can be huge and really painful to resist, especally if it was here for a long time. However learning to live with it is necessary to build a life full of peace and joy. Strategies to fight FOMO and rewire to life include meditation, nature activities, social interraction, intellectual and creative projects, meaningful adventures… basicaly anything that fill your soul.
4. How to not relapse and fully recover?
It may takes days, weeks, months or even years. You may relapse a few times, but the most important is that you keep engaging less and less with youtube. Each day you resist to it is a day weakening your brain connections with youtube. From your patience and discipline will arise incredible mind strength, hope and wisdom.
Best youtube blocker apps & functionnalities
Additionally, you can limit or block access to youtube using those apps:
- 1. parental controls for youtube
- 2. youtube kids
- 3. blocktube
- 4. youtubeblocker
- 5. safeyoutube
Best books around youtube
- 1. “How to Quit YouTube” by Chris Koster
- 2. “The YouTube Addict’s Handbook” by James McQuivey
- 3. “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to YouTube” by Jeremy Miller
- 4. “YouTube for Dummies” by Doug Sahlin
- 5. “The Newbie’s Guide to YouTube” by John W. Rhodes
where to seek extra help?
Do you need some support and help to stop and overcome your youtube addiction? If you or someone you know is struggling with youtube addiction, there are a few places to seek help.
First, check our course The Digital Purge. This course has already helped many digital addicts to rewire to what matter. But other options also exist.
There is no one definitive answer to this question. Some people may seek help from a therapist or counselor, while others may find support groups or online communities helpful.
If you find that you can’t go more than a few hours without watching YouTube, or if you find yourself feeling anxious or restless when you can’t watch YouTube, then it’s time to take a break. Just like any other addiction, overcoming a YouTube addiction will take time and effort. But it’s definitely possible to do it.
Start by setting some limits for yourself. Decide how much time you’re going to allow yourself to spend on YouTube each day, and then stick to it. It might be hard at first, but it will get easier with time.
Also, try to find other things to do when you’re not watching YouTube. Spend time with friends and family, go outside, read a book, or anything else that you enjoy. The more you can distract yourself from YouTube, the easier it will be to break the habit.
It takes time and effort to overcome any addiction, but it’s definitely possible to do it. If you’re struggling with a YouTube addiction, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. There are many resources available to help you overcome this problem.
To go further, please check our course The Digital Purge.