Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the wow addiction.
- What’s the wow addiction?
- Addiction to wow, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered wow addiction
- How much wow is too much?
- Some Online entertainment addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the wow addiction
- Why is wow so addictive?
- Possible causes of wow dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of wow addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of wow
- Some benefits of wow
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your wow addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the wow addiction
- Best wow blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with wow addiction
- Best books about Online entertainment addiction
- Research about Online entertainment addiction
What is the wow addiction?
World of Warcraft is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game released in 2004 by Blizzard Entertainment. It is the fourth released game set in the Warcraft fantasy universe.
Addiction to wow, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes wow addiction?
No, wow addiction is not listed in the DSM-5.
So what means “wow addiction”?
While there is no formal diagnosis for wow addiction, it is generally used to describe someone who is excessively obsessed with the game World of Warcraft. This can manifest in a number of ways, including neglecting real-life responsibilities in favor of playing the game, being unable to stop playing even when it is causing problems, and feeling withdrawal symptoms when not playing. Some people may also spend large amounts of money on in-game purchases, which can lead to financial difficulties.
What is considered wow addiction?
- 1. Preoccupation with World of Warcraft. This may be evident in excessive game play, thinking about the game when not playing, or feeling restless or irritable when unable to play.
- 2. Neglecting important life activities. A person with a World of Warcraft addiction may forego work, school, or important social engagements in order to play the game.
- 3. Lying about game play. A person with a World of Warcraft addiction may try to hide the extent of their playing from others, or may lie about playing altogether.
- 4. Game play interfering with relationships. World of Warcraft addiction may cause tension or conflict in personal relationships, as well as difficulty maintaining healthy boundaries with the game.
- 5. Unable to stop playing. A person with a World of Warcraft addiction may find it difficult to cut back or stop playing altogether, despite negative consequences.
How much wow is too much?
This is a difficult question to answer as it depends on the person. Some people might consider any time spent on WoW to be too much, while others may be able to balance their game time with other responsibilities. It ultimately comes down to how the individual views their time spent on WoW.
Some Online entertainment addiction facts & statistics
Online entertainment addiction is a growing concern as more and more people spend their time on the internet for entertainment purposes. Here are some statistics related to online entertainment addiction:
1. According to a 2018 study by the Pew Research Center, 26% of adults in the United States say they are “almost constantly” online.
2. A 2019 survey by Common Sense Media found that 50% of teens feel addicted to their mobile devices.
3. A 2019 study published in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions found that 14% of college students in China were addicted to online entertainment.
4. A 2020 survey by the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that 10% of American adults had experienced internet addiction at some point in their lives.
5. A 2021 study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research found that social media use was associated with increased risk of depression and anxiety among young adults.
Overall, these statistics suggest that online entertainment addiction is a growing concern, especially among young people, and may have negative effects on mental health.
Is the wow addiction widespread?
According to a study published in the Journal of Addiction Medicine in 2015, approximately 10% of players meet the criteria for addiction. However, it’s worth noting that not all players who spend a lot of time playing WoW are necessarily addicted. It’s important to seek help if you or someone you know is struggling with addiction.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of wow addiction
Why is wow so addictive?
Wow is an online game that is extremely addictive because it is very social and interactive. Players can communicate with each other through the game, and they can also join guilds and participate in raids and other activities. The game is also very visually appealing, and it has a lot of content to keep players engaged.
Possible causes of wow dependency
There are many possible causes of wow addiction, including a desire to escape from reality, a need for social interaction, and a need for achievement.
Signs & Symptoms of wow addiction
Now let’s see if you have the wow addiction problem.
- 1. You think about playing WoW constantly, even when you’re not playing.
- 2. You plan your day around when you can play WoW.
- 3. You have trouble focusing on anything else when you’re not playing WoW.
- 4. You play WoW for longer than you intended to every time you sit down to play.
- 5. You spend more money on WoW than you can afford.
- 6. You neglect your real life responsibilities in favor of playing WoW.
- 7. You would rather play WoW than spend time with family and friends.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of wow: should you quit?
What are some benefits of wow
Some people may find the following reasons why World of Warcraft is great:
-The community is very supportive and friendly
-The game is very well designed and polished
-The game is constantly updated with new content
-The game is very easy to get into and start playingBut at the opposite, what can be some wow addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is not enough research to determine the long-term effects of playing World of Warcraft on health. However, some potential risks include:
– neck and back pain from sitting in the same position for long periods of time;
– repetitive strain injuries from clicking the mouse and typing on the keyboard;
– eye strain from staring at a computer screen for long periods of time;
– social isolation from spending more time playing the game than interacting with family and friends;
– obesity from a sedentary lifestyle;
– financial problems from spending too much money on in-game purchases.
wow and sleep disorder
There is no direct evidence that playing World of Warcraft (WoW) can cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, excessive gaming, especially close to bedtime, can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to sleep deprivation. This can cause a variety of symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
Additionally, some players may become so absorbed in the game that they neglect their sleep hygiene, such as maintaining a regular sleep schedule, avoiding stimulating activities before bed, and creating a comfortable sleep environment. Therefore, it is important to maintain a healthy balance between gaming and other activities, and to prioritize adequate sleep for overall health and well-being.
wow affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of wow on your brain
It is possible to experience negative effects from playing World of Warcraft, especially if you play for long periods of time. These effects can include:
-Loss of appetite
Some effects of wow on your mental health
Some people may experience negative effects on their mental health while playing World of Warcraft. These can include:
– Increased anxiety
– Social isolation
– Obsessive thoughts and behaviors
If you or someone you know is exhibiting any of these signs, it is important to seek professional help.
Does wow cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing World of Warcraft (WoW) can cause stress or anxiety in some players. This can happen if the player feels overwhelmed by the complexity of the game, has difficulty completing tasks or quests, or feels pressure to perform well in group activities such as raids or dungeons.
Additionally, playing for long periods of time or becoming too invested in the game can lead to neglecting other important aspects of life, such as work or relationships, which can also contribute to stress and anxiety. It’s important for players to take breaks, set boundaries, and prioritize self-care to avoid these negative effects.
Can wow addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, playing World of Warcraft (WoW) excessively and becoming addicted to it can lead to sadness and depression. This is because spending an excessive amount of time playing the game can lead to neglecting other important areas of life, such as social relationships, work, or school. This can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness, and low self-esteem.
Additionally, the intense focus and immersion in the game can lead to a decrease in real-life experiences and accomplishments, which can further contribute to feelings of sadness and depression. It is important for individuals who are struggling with WoW addiction to seek help and support in order to address their underlying issues and improve their overall well-being.
Dopamine and wow
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in the brain’s reward system. It is often associated with pleasure, motivation, and reinforcement of behavior. When we experience something pleasurable, such as playing a video game like World of Warcraft (WoW), dopamine is released in the brain, which can create a sense of satisfaction and enjoyment.
In WoW, dopamine can be released through various activities, such as completing quests, defeating enemies, and acquiring new gear or items. These rewards can motivate players to continue playing and achieving more in the game.
However, excessive gaming and addiction to WoW can also lead to an overstimulation of the dopamine system, resulting in negative consequences such as neglecting other responsibilities and withdrawal symptoms when not playing. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and moderate use of gaming to avoid these potential negative effects.
wow effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
World of Warcraft (WoW) can have both positive and negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance, depending on how it is played and how it affects an individual’s lifestyle and habits.
– Improved cognitive skills: WoW involves problem-solving, critical thinking, strategy, and decision-making, which can enhance cognitive skills and mental flexibility.
– Social interaction: WoW can provide social interaction with other players, which can improve social skills and reduce loneliness and social isolation.
– Stress relief: Playing WoW can be a form of stress relief and relaxation, which can improve mental health and well-being.
– Addiction: WoW can be highly addictive, leading to excessive gameplay and neglect of other responsibilities and activities.
– Distraction: WoW can be a distraction from work or academic responsibilities, leading to decreased productivity and focus.
– Sedentary lifestyle: Playing WoW for extended periods can lead to a sedentary lifestyle, which can have negative health effects such as weight gain and poor cardiovascular health.
– Sleep disruption: Playing WoW late into the night can disrupt sleep patterns, leading to fatigue and decreased academic performance.
Overall, it is important to balance WoW gameplay with other activities and responsibilities, maintain healthy habits, and monitor for signs of addiction or negative effects on academic performance and overall well-being.
A word about ADHD and wow
People with ADHD may interact with World of Warcraft (WoW) differently than those without ADHD. ADHD can affect a person’s ability to focus and sustain attention, which can impact their gameplay in WoW. They may struggle with completing quests or staying engaged during long raids. On the other hand, people with ADHD may also find the fast-paced action and constant stimulation in WoW to be engaging and rewarding, which can help them stay focused and motivated.
Additionally, WoW can provide a sense of structure and routine that can be helpful for individuals with ADHD. Overall, the way people with ADHD interact with WoW can vary depending on their individual needs and preferences.
affecting your relationships
wow and self-esteem
World of Warcraft (WoW) can affect self-esteem in both positive and negative ways:
- 1. Achievement: WoW provides a sense of achievement through completing quests, leveling up, and obtaining rare items. This can boost self-esteem and provide a sense of accomplishment.
- 2. Socialization: WoW is a social game that allows players to interact with others from around the world. This can help players develop social skills and build friendships, which can lead to increased self-esteem.
- 3. Role-playing: WoW allows players to create a character and take on a specific role. This can help players explore different aspects of their personality and feel confident in their abilities.
- 1. Addiction: WoW can become addictive, leading to a loss of control and negative consequences such as neglecting responsibilities, which can lower self-esteem.
- 2. Comparison: Players may compare themselves to others in terms of level, gear, or accomplishments, which can lead to feelings of inadequacy and lower self-esteem.
- 3. Bullying: Like any online community, WoW can have instances of bullying and harassment, which can lower self-esteem and cause emotional distress.
Overall, the effects of WoW on self-esteem can vary depending on the individual and their relationship with the game. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between playing and other aspects of life to ensure that WoW does not negatively impact self-esteem.
wow addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, it is possible for World of Warcraft addiction to lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to the game, they may spend excessive amounts of time playing it, neglecting other aspects of their life such as socializing with friends and family. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation as they become more disconnected from the outside world.
Additionally, the social interactions in the game can sometimes substitute for real-life relationships, leading to further isolation. It’s important for individuals who are struggling with addiction to seek help and support to maintain a healthy balance in their lives.
Effects of wow on your relationship
Positive effects of WoW on your relationship:
- 1. Shared interest: Playing WoW together can create a shared interest and can help strengthen your bond.
- 2. Communication: Playing WoW together requires communication and teamwork, which can improve your communication skills as a couple.
- 3. Time together: Playing WoW together can provide quality time to spend together, which can improve your relationship.
- 4. Fun and enjoyment: Playing WoW together can bring fun and enjoyment to your relationship, making it more exciting and adventurous.
Negative effects of WoW on your relationship:
- 1. Time management: Playing WoW can be time-consuming, which can lead to neglecting other important aspects of your relationship.
- 2. Addiction: Playing WoW excessively can lead to addiction, which can negatively impact your relationship.
- 3. Isolation: Playing WoW can lead to isolation from the outside world and other social activities, leading to a lack of socialization for you and your partner.
- 4. Financial strain: Playing WoW can require a financial investment, which can cause strain on your budget and potentially cause financial stress in your relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your wow Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to wow and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for wow?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your wow addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the wow addiction
- 1. Admit that you have a problem.
- 2. Talk to someone who can help you understand your addiction.
- 3. Make a plan to quit playing Wow.
- 4. Stick to your plan.
- 5. Seek help if you feel you can’t do it on your own.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including wow:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of wow
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your wow accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: