Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the twitch addiction.
- What’s the twitch addiction?
- Addiction to twitch, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered twitch addiction
- How much twitch is too much?
- Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the twitch addiction
- Why is twitch so addictive?
- Possible causes of twitch dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of twitch addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of twitch
- Some benefits of twitch
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your twitch addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the twitch addiction
- Best twitch blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with twitch addiction
- Best books about Video games addiction
- Research about Video games addiction
What is the twitch addiction?
Twitch is a live streaming platform for gamers.
Addiction to twitch, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes twitch addiction?
As of the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5., there is not a listing for twitch addiction. However, this does not mean that the condition does not exist or that it cannot be addressed through treatment.
So what means “twitch addiction”?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is different for everyone. Some people may feel that they are addicted to twitch if they spend a large amount of time watching twitch streams, while others may only feel addicted if they are spending money on twitch related activities. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they believe they are addicted to twitch.
What is considered twitch addiction?
- 1. You spend more time thinking about or doing twitch than anything else.
- 2. You feel twitch is necessary for your happiness or well-being.
- 3. You feel twitch is the only thing that can relieve your boredom or stress.
- 4. You have unsuccessfully tried to cut back on your twitch use.
- 5. You continue to twitch even though it is causing problems in your life.
How much twitch is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the individual. Some people may find that they are able to spend a lot of time on Twitch without any negative effects, while others may find that it starts to interfere with their daily life. If you find that you are spending more time on Twitch than you would like, or if it is impacting your life in a negative way, it may be time to cut back.
Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the twitch addiction widespread?
Yes, there are many people who are addicted to Twitch. Twitch is a popular platform for live streaming video games, and it has a large and dedicated user base. Many people spend hours each day watching their favorite streamers, and some even go so far as to prioritize Twitch over other aspects of their life, such as work or socializing. While not everyone who uses Twitch is addicted, there are certainly many who struggle with compulsive use of the platform.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of twitch addiction
Why is twitch so addictive?
There is no one answer to this question as it can be different for each person. Some possible reasons why someone might find Twitch addictive could include the feeling of community and belonging that comes from being a part of the Twitch community, the excitement that comes from watching others play games or do creative things, or simply because Twitch provides a never-ending stream of entertainment that can be easily accessed at any time.
Possible causes of twitch dependency
The causes of twitch addiction are not fully understood, but it is thought to be related to the pleasure and satisfaction that people get from watching others play video games.
Signs & Symptoms of twitch addiction
Now let’s see if you have the twitch addiction problem.
- 1. You spend more time watching streams than you do sleeping.
- 2. You know the names, faces, and usernames of more streamers than you do real life celebrities.
- 3. You can quote popular streamers verbatim.
- 4. You have strong opinions on which games are “streamable” and which ones are not.
- 5. You have more than one Twitch account.
- 6. You have a Twitch prime account.
- 7. You have donated to a streamer.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of twitch: should you quit?
What are some benefits of twitch
Some of the pros of Twitch include that it is a great platform for gamers to connect with each other, it is a great way to build an audience for your gaming content, and it can be a great source of income for gamers who are able to build a large following. Some of the advantages of Twitch include that it is a very popular platform with a large user base, it is easy to use and navigate, and it provides a great way for gamers to connect with each other.But at the opposite, what can be some twitch addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is no definitive answer to this question as the effects of twitch depend on the individual’s health and fitness levels. However, some potential effects of twitch include increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, and increased respiration.
twitch and sleep disorder
Yes, excessive use of Twitch or any other form of screen time can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to sleep disorders or problems. The blue light emitted by screens can suppress the production of melatonin, the hormone that helps regulate sleep.
Additionally, watching stimulating content before bed can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. It is recommended to limit screen time before bed and practice good sleep hygiene to promote healthy sleep habits.
twitch affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of twitch on your brain
There is not enough scientific research to know the full extent of the effects of twitch on the brain. However, some studies suggest that twitch can cause changes in brain activity, including in the areas responsible for attention and focus. It is also possible that twitch can lead to changes in mood and emotions.
Some effects of twitch on your mental health
There is not much research on the negative effects of twitch on mental health, but it is possible that some people may experience anxiety or depression as a result of using the site. Some people may also find that their social life suffers because they spend so much time on Twitch.
Does twitch cause stress and anxiety?
Excessive use of Twitch or any other form of social media can contribute to stress and anxiety. Spending too much time on Twitch can lead to neglecting other important activities and responsibilities, which can cause stress and anxiety.
Additionally, the pressure to perform or gain followers on Twitch can also contribute to stress and anxiety. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance and limit screen time to prevent negative effects on mental health.
Can twitch addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, excessive use of Twitch can lead to sadness and depression. When someone becomes addicted to Twitch, they may spend excessive amounts of time on the platform, isolating themselves from friends and family. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and social isolation, which are known risk factors for depression.
Additionally, watching Twitch streamers for hours on end can lead to feelings of dissatisfaction with one’s own life and a lack of motivation to pursue other interests or hobbies. Ultimately, excessive Twitch use can contribute to a negative spiral of poor mental health, as it becomes increasingly difficult to break away from the platform and engage in healthy behaviors.
Dopamine and twitch
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is involved in many brain functions, including motivation, reward, and pleasure. Twitch is a live streaming platform that allows users to stream and watch video games, creative content, and other types of media.
There is a strong connection between dopamine and Twitch, as the platform is designed to trigger the release of dopamine in viewers’ brains. Watching a live stream of a favorite game or content creator can be highly engaging and rewarding, leading to a rush of dopamine that can keep viewers coming back for more.
In addition, Twitch’s chat feature allows viewers to interact with streamers and other viewers, creating a sense of community and social connection that can also trigger the release of dopamine.
For some individuals, the constant stimulation and reward-seeking behavior associated with Twitch can lead to addiction or problematic use. It is important to use the platform in moderation and seek help if it begins to interfere with daily life.
twitch effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Twitch can affect focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance if it is used excessively and without moderation. Excessive use of Twitch can lead to distractions, procrastination, and a lack of motivation to complete other tasks. It can also lead to difficulty concentrating on academic work and studying.
However, if used in moderation, Twitch can be a source of entertainment and relaxation, which can help individuals recharge and increase their productivity. It can also be a way to connect with others and build a community, which can have positive social benefits.
Overall, the impact of Twitch on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance depends on how it is used and in what amounts. It is important to balance entertainment and leisure activities with academic and work responsibilities.
A word about ADHD and twitch
People with ADHD may interact with Twitch differently than those without ADHD. Twitch is a platform that allows users to watch live streams of video games, music, and other activities. People with ADHD may be drawn to the fast-paced and interactive nature of Twitch, as it provides constant stimulation and engagement.
However, people with ADHD may also struggle with maintaining focus and attention on a single stream or activity for an extended period of time. They may find themselves easily distracted by other streams or activities on the platform, or may struggle with tuning out background noise and distractions while watching a stream.
Additionally, people with ADHD may be more likely to engage in impulsive behaviors on Twitch, such as impulsively clicking on links or participating in chat discussions without fully considering the consequences.
Overall, while people with ADHD may be drawn to the engaging and interactive nature of Twitch, they may also face unique challenges in managing their attention and impulsivity while using the platform.
affecting your relationships
twitch and self-esteem
Twitch can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem. On one hand, Twitch can provide a platform for individuals to showcase their skills and talents, which can lead to a sense of accomplishment and pride. When viewers appreciate and engage with their content, it can also bolster their self-esteem and sense of validation.
On the other hand, Twitch can also contribute to negative self-esteem. The pressure to constantly perform and entertain viewers can be overwhelming, and negative comments or lack of engagement can be discouraging.
Additionally, comparing oneself to other successful streamers can lead to feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt.
Overall, the impact of Twitch on self-esteem can vary depending on individual experiences and perceptions. It is important for streamers to prioritize their mental health and well-being, and to remember that their self-worth is not solely determined by their success on the platform.
twitch addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, Twitch addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness. Spending excessive amounts of time on Twitch can lead to neglecting important social relationships and responsibilities outside of the platform. This can result in feelings of loneliness and isolation as the individual becomes more disconnected from their real-life relationships and activities.
Additionally, Twitch addiction can also lead to social anxiety and difficulty interacting with others in real-life situations. It is important for individuals to balance their time on Twitch with other activities and prioritizing their social relationships.
Effects of twitch on your relationship
- 1. Shared interest: Twitch can be a great way for couples to bond over a shared interest in gaming, streaming, or watching live streams of their favorite games.
- 2. Increased communication: If both partners are interested in Twitch, it can provide a platform for them to communicate and discuss their favorite streamers, games or other aspects of the platform.
- 3. Entertainment: Twitch can provide a fun and entertaining way for couples to spend time together, especially if they enjoy watching live streams or playing games together.
- 4. Social support: Being part of a Twitch community can provide a sense of social support and connectedness, which can be beneficial for couples who may feel isolated or disconnected from others.
- 1. Time-consuming: Twitch can be incredibly time-consuming, and if one partner spends too much time on the platform, it can lead to neglect of the relationship, causing resentment and conflict.
- 2. Distraction: Twitch can be a distraction and can take away from quality time that couples could be spending together.
- 3. Addiction: Twitch can be addictive, and if one partner becomes overly obsessed with the platform, it can lead to neglect of other responsibilities, including relationship commitments.
- 4. Jealousy: Twitch streamers often have a large following, and jealousy can arise if one partner feels that their significant other is too invested in the streamer or community.
How To Stop & quit Your twitch Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to twitch and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for twitch?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your twitch addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the twitch addiction
The main steps to get rid of twitch addiction are to first identify that you have a problem, and then to seek help from a professional. If you are not able to get help from a professional, then you may need to consider going to a 12-step program or something similar.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including twitch:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of twitch
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your twitch accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: