- What is the tiktok addiction?
- What is considered tiktok addiction?
- How much tiktok is too much?
- Some alarming tiktok addiction statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the tiktok addiction
- Symptoms & Signs of tiktok addiction
- Possible causes of tiktok dependency
- Why is tiktok so addictive?
- Problem, bad effects & consequences of tiktok
- creating general health problems
- affecting your brain & mental health
- affecting your relationships
- How to stop your tiktok addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the tiktok addiction
- Best tiktok blocker apps & software
- Best books to quit tiktok
- where to seek extra help?
Am I Addicted To tiktok?
Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions to Fortnite, Facebook, Instagram, porn, Netflix, Youtube, Tinder… (find them all here).
Today, let’s talk about the tiktok addiction.
A video-sharing social networking service owned by Chinese company ByteDance. The social media platform is used to make a variety of short-form videos, from genres like dance, comedy, and education, that have a duration from fifteen seconds to one minute (three minutes for some users). TikTok is an international version of Douyin, which was originally released in the Chinese market in September 2016. Since its launch in 2016, TikTok/Douyin rapidly gained popularity in East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, the United States, Turkey, Russia, and other parts of the world.
tiktok, a “real” addiction?
Officialy an addiction?
Let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes tiktok addiction?
There is no mention of TikTok addiction in the DSM-5.
So what is the tiktok addiction?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is different for everyone. Some people may feel like they are addicted to TikTok if they spend a lot of time on the app and feel like they can’t go without it. Others may not feel like they are addicted but may still spend a lot of time on the app. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they feel like they are addicted to TikTok.
What is considered tiktok addiction?
- 1. You spend more time on TikTok than you do on any other social media platform.
- 2. You find yourself mindlessly scrolling through your feed for hours at a time.
- 3. You often watch TikToks when you should be doing something else, like homework or chores.
- 4. You feel anxious or stressed when you’re not able to use TikTok.
- 5. You’ve started neglecting your real-life friends in favor of your online TikTok friends.
How much tiktok is too much?
There isn’t really a definitive answer to this question since it varies from person to person. Some people might be able to spend hours on TikTok without any issues, while others may start to feel negative effects after only a few minutes. If you find that you can’t focus on anything else or that your mood starts to decline after spending time on TikTok, it might be a good idea to take a break.
Some alarming tiktok addiction statistics
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is difficult to accurately measure the prevalence of TikTok addiction. However, a recent study found that TikTok users tend to spend more time on the app than users of other social media platforms, with the average user spending 52 minutes on the app each day. This suggests that TikTok addiction is a real and serious problem for many people.
Symptoms & Causes of the tiktok addiction
Why is tiktok so addictive?
There are a number of reasons that TikTok is so addictive. First, the app is designed to be highly engaging, with a simple interface and short, easy-to-consume videos. TikTok also offers a sense of social validation, as users can see how many likes and comments their videos receive. Finally, the app is constantly introducing new features and challenges to keep users coming back.
Possible causes of tiktok dependency
There is no one answer to this question as everyone experiences addiction differently. However, some possible causes of tiktok addiction could include a need for validation, escapism, or a desire to be part of a community.
Additionally, people who are struggling with mental health issues or who have a history of addiction may be more susceptible to developing an addiction to tiktok.
Signs & Symptoms of tiktok addiction
- 1. You spend more time on TikTok than on any other social media platform.
- 2. You have a TikTok profile and post regularly.
- 3. You often watch other people’s TikTok videos.
- 4. You frequently comment on other people’s TikTok videos.
- 5. You sometimes post your own TikTok videos.
- 6. You have a large number of followers on TikTok.
- 7. You frequently check your TikTok notifications.
Problem, consequences & bad effects of tiktok
What are some benefits of tiktok
There are many pros and advantages to TikTok. Some of the reasons why TikTok is so great include:
-It allows users to be creative and have fun with their videos.
-It is a great platform for connecting with others and building a community.
-It is a great way to discover new music and trends.
-It is a great way to stay entertained and informed.
But at the opposite, what can be some tiktok addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. TikTok can be addictive.
- 2. TikTok can lead to social isolation.
- 3. TikTok can cause anxiety and depression.
- 4. TikTok can negatively affect your sleep.
- 5. TikTok can increase your risk of cyberbullying.
affecting your brain & mental health
- 1. TikTok can cause you to become addicted to using the app and spending too much time on it.
- 2. TikTok can lead to you procrastinating on other tasks and activities.
- 3. TikTok can make you more impulsive and less able to concentrate on tasks.
- 4. TikTok can make you more likely to engage in risky behaviors.
- 5. TikTok can negatively impact your mental health.
Is tiktok bad for your mental health?
There is a growing body of evidence that suggests that TikTok can have negative effects on mental health, particularly for young people. The platform has been linked to increased anxiety, depression, and loneliness. TikTok can also lead to negative body image issues, as users compare themselves to the often perfect-looking content creators on the app.
Additionally, the app’s addictive nature can lead to users spending too much time on it, which can impact other areas of their life.
affecting your relationship
There is no definitive answer to this question as the effects of TikTok on relationships can vary greatly depending on the couple in question. Some couples may find that using TikTok helps to add some fun and excitement to their relationship, while others may find that it causes more arguments and conflict. Ultimately, it is up to each couple to decide whether or not they feel that TikTok has a positive or negative impact on their relationship.
How To Stop Your tiktok Addiction
So you think you are addicted to tiktok and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for tiktok ?
Here are the best solutions, steps, ressources and help you can get to treat your tiktok addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the tiktok addiction
- 1. Identify that you have a problem with TikTok addiction.
- 2. Set realistic goals for yourself regarding your use of TikTok.
- 3. Find an alternative activity that you can do instead of using TikTok.
- 4. Tell your friends and family about your goals and ask for their support.
That’s what most documentation outhere is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including tiktok:
1. Purge temptations
Cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your tiktok accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up:
Click here if you want to see more of the Digital Purge!
2. Spot & Reveal your emotional triggers
There are some reasons, often hidden ones, that your brain and your heart love so much tiktok. Those reasons act as triggers to pull your cravings. Rather than chasing the addiction, it’s a more efficient strategy to look at the feelings driving you toward it. That way you can cure and heal the feeling. You’ll feel better and the cravings will magically disapear.
3. Rewire to life
An addiction FOMO (fear of missing out) can be huge and really painful to resist, especally if it was here for a long time. However learning to live with it is necessary to build a life full of peace and joy. Strategies to fight FOMO and rewire to life include meditation, nature activities, social interraction, intellectual and creative projects, meaningful adventures… basicaly anything that fill your soul.
4. How to not relapse and fully recover?
It may takes days, weeks, months or even years. You may relapse a few times, but the most important is that you keep engaging less and less with tiktok. Each day you resist to it is a day weakening your brain connections with tiktok. From your patience and discipline will arise incredible mind strength, hope and wisdom.
Best tiktok blocker apps & functionnalities
Additionally, you can limit or block access to tiktok using those apps:
- 1. TikTok Blocker
- 2. TikTok Censor
- 3. TikTok parental controls
- 4. TikTok Pro
- 5. TikTok for Schools
Best books around tiktok
- 1. “TikTok: How to Use TikTok to Stop Your Addiction” by Dr. Richard Graham
- 2. “TikTok: How to Use TikTok to Get Your Life Back” by Dr. Robert L. Johnson
- 3. “TikTok: How to Use TikTok to Take Control of Your Life” by Dr. William R. Miller
- 4. “TikTok: How to Use TikTok to Heal Your Addiction” by Dr. David J. Powell
- 5. “TikTok: How to Use TikTok to End Your Addiction” by Dr. James W. Roberts
where to seek extra help?
Do you need some support and help to stop and overcome your tiktok addiction? If you or someone you know is struggling with tiktok addiction, there are a few places to seek help.
First, check our course The Digital Purge. This course has already helped many digital addicts to rewire to what matter. But other options also exist.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best place to seek help for TikTok addiction will vary depending on the individual’s unique situation. However, some places to consider seeking help for TikTok addiction include therapy, support groups, and 12-step programs.
If you’re one of the many people who are addicted to TikTok, don’t worry, there is hope. There are a number of things you can do to overcome your addiction and get your life back on track.
One of the first things you need to do is to identify why you’re addicted to TikTok in the first place. Once you know the reasons behind your addiction, you can start to work on overcoming it.
One of the best ways to overcome an addiction is to find a replacement activity that you can focus your attention on. This could be something like reading, playing a musical instrument, or even taking up a new hobby.
Another great way to overcome your TikTok addiction is to set some limits on how much time you spend on the app each day. This will help you to focus your attention on other things and will make it easier to stick to your goals.
Finally, make sure to get plenty of rest and exercise. Both of these things will help to reduce stress and will make it easier for you to resist the urge to go back to TikTok.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to overcome your TikTok addiction and get your life back on track.
To go further, please check our course The Digital Purge.