Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the tetris addiction.
- What’s the tetris addiction?
- Addiction to tetris, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered tetris addiction
- How much tetris is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the tetris addiction
- Why is tetris so addictive?
- Possible causes of tetris dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of tetris addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of tetris
- Some benefits of tetris
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your tetris addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the tetris addiction
- Best tetris blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with tetris addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the tetris addiction?
Tetris is a tile-matching puzzle video game where the player arranges falling blocks to form complete rows.
Addiction to tetris, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes tetris addiction?
No, Tetris addiction is not listed in the DSM-5. However, the DSM-5 does list a condition called “Internet Gaming Disorder,” which may be related to certain types of video game addiction, such as Tetris addiction.
So what means “tetris addiction”?
Tetris addiction is a term used to describe an obsession with the video game Tetris. People with this type of addiction may spend hours playing the game, neglecting other activities or responsibilities, and feeling a need to play the game, even to the point of obsession. This type of addiction is not recognized by the medical community as a diagnosable disorder, but it can still have serious consequences for a person’s life.
What is considered tetris addiction?
- 1. Spending an excessive amount of time playing Tetris.
- 2. Feeling withdrawal symptoms when not playing Tetris.
- 3. Neglecting social, occupational, and academic activities due to excessive Tetris playing.
- 4. Continuing to play Tetris despite negative consequences in personal, professional, and/or social life.
- 5. Experiencing a feeling of euphoria or intense satisfaction when playing Tetris.
- 6. Finding it difficult to stop playing Tetris even when you want to.
- 7. Having difficulty concentrating on anything else besides Tetris.
- 8. Feeling preoccupied with Tetris when not playing.
- 9. Becoming irritable or anxious when not playing Tetris.
- 10. Lying about the amount of time spent playing Tetris.
How much tetris is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it will vary from person to person. Some people may enjoy playing a few hours a week and find it to be a relaxing and enjoyable activity. Others may become addicted and play for much longer periods of time, which can be unhealthy. It is important to remember to take breaks, limit playing time, and to always prioritize other activities in life.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the tetris addiction widespread?
It is difficult to determine an exact number of people addicted to Tetris, but it is known that the game has a large and dedicated fan base. According to a study published in the journal Addictive Behaviors, playing Tetris can trigger the release of dopamine in the brain, which can create a pleasurable sensation and potentially lead to addiction in some individuals. However, it is important to note that not everyone who plays Tetris will become addicted to it.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of tetris addiction
Why is tetris so addictive?
Tetris is so addictive because it provides a challenge that is easy to understand yet difficult to master. It is also fast-paced, visually stimulating, and has an element of luck that keeps players coming back for more.
Additionally, the game is designed to be highly replayable, with endless levels and no definitive end. Finally, the music and sound effects of the game can be very catchy and add to the addictive nature of the game.
Possible causes of tetris dependency
- 1. Challenging Gameplay: Tetris is a challenging game that requires quick thinking and problem solving skills. The more you play, the better you get and the more rewarding it becomes.
- 2. Easy to Access: Tetris is available on many platforms, including smartphones and computers. This makes it easy to access and play whenever you want.
- 3. High Scores: The challenge of setting high scores and trying to beat them can be addictive for some people.
- 4. Social Interaction: Some people enjoy playing with friends or family members, which can make the game even more addictive.
- 5. Visual Stimulation: The bright colors and shapes in Tetris can be stimulating and captivating.
- 6. Stress Relief: For some people, playing Tetris can be a way to relieve stress or anxiety.
Signs & Symptoms of tetris addiction
Now let’s see if you have the tetris addiction problem.
- 1. You find yourself humming the Tetris theme song randomly.
- 2. You can’t help but try to fit Tetris pieces into everyday objects.
- 3. You have a dream about playing Tetris.
- 4. You have a Tetris game or app on all of your devices.
- 5. You’re always trying to beat your previous high score.
- 6. You find yourself playing Tetris instead of doing your homework or chores.
- 7. You can’t seem to get enough of it and will play it for hours at a time.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of tetris: should you quit?
What are some benefits of tetris
Pros and Advantages of Tetris:
- 1. Tetris is an iconic classic game that has remained popular for decades. Its timelessness is a testament to its quality and entertainment value.
- 2. Tetris is a great way to pass the time and exercise your brain. It’s an easy game to pick up and play, but it can offer a challenge for more experienced players.
- 3. Tetris is a great game for both casual and competitive players. It’s easy to learn, but there are strategies and techniques that can be used to gain an edge over other players.
- 4. Tetris is a great game for single players or groups. It’s easy to find other people to play with online or in person.
- 5. Tetris is visually pleasing, with its colorful blocks and simple graphics. It’s a great game to look at, and can even be relaxing to play.
- 6. Tetris is a great way to improve your spatial reasoning skills. As you play, you must solve puzzles and think ahead to figure out the best way to move the pieces around the board.
- 7. Tetris can inspire creativity. There are many different ways to play the game, and players must think outside the box to come up with the best strategies.
- 8. Tetris is a great game for all ages. It’s easily accessible and can be enjoyed by players of all skill levels.
But at the opposite, what can be some tetris addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There are some potential positive and negative effects of playing Tetris on your health.
-Improves Cognitive Performance: Tetris has been found to increase cognitive skills such as planning and problem solving, as well as enhancing reaction time and spatial awareness.
-Increases Brain Plasticity: Tetris has been found to increase brain plasticity, the ability of the brain to change and adapt.
-Improves Visual Perception: Tetris has been found to improve visual perception and the ability to identify patterns.
-Addictive Nature: Tetris can be addictive and can lead to over-playing, which can lead to fatigue, headaches, and other physical symptoms.
-Eye Strain: Tetris requires intense concentration, which can lead to eye strain and tired eyes.
-Impaired Coordination: Playing Tetris can impair coordination and reaction time, as well as cause hand-eye coordination issues.
tetris and sleep disorder
There is no evidence to suggest that playing Tetris can directly cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, playing video games in general before bed can disrupt sleep by stimulating the brain and delaying the release of the sleep hormone melatonin. It is generally recommended to avoid screen time for at least an hour before bedtime to promote healthy sleep patterns.
Additionally, playing Tetris or any other stimulating activity close to bedtime may also cause excitement or heightened alertness, making it more difficult to fall asleep.
tetris affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of tetris on your brain
- 1. Increased Anxiety: Playing Tetris can increase anxiety levels due to the fast-paced and challenging nature of the game.
- 2. Sleep Disturbance: Studies have shown that the bright and energetic visuals of Tetris can interfere with the natural process of sleep.
- 3. Reduced Concentration: Playing Tetris can reduce concentration and focus, due to the fact that it requires fast-paced decision making in order to succeed.
- 4. Cognitive Impairment: Prolonged Tetris playing can lead to cognitive impairment, due to the fact that the game can lead to over-stimulation of certain parts of the brain.
- 5. Addiction: Tetris has been found to be one of the most addictive video games due to its engaging and challenging nature. This can lead to an unhealthy obsession with the game, which can lead to other problems in life.
Some effects of tetris on your mental health
- 1. Addiction: Tetris can become highly addictive, leading to an unhealthy preoccupation with the game and difficulty focusing on other activities.
- 2. Stress: Playing Tetris can be a frustrating experience, leading to increased levels of stress and anxiety.
- 3. Lack of Concentration: Excessive Tetris playing can lead to difficulty concentrating on tasks that require sustained attention.
- 4. Sleep Problems: Staying up late to play Tetris can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to fatigue, irritability, and other negative consequences.
- 5. Anxiety: The fast-paced nature of Tetris can trigger anxiety and panic attacks in some players.
Does tetris cause stress and anxiety?
Tetris itself is not necessarily a cause of stress or anxiety, but it may contribute to these feelings if played excessively or in a competitive setting. Some people may also experience frustration or disappointment if they are not able to progress in the game or achieve a high score. It is important to practice moderation and take breaks when playing any video game to avoid negative impacts on mental health.
Additionally, if someone already experiences symptoms of anxiety or stress, playing Tetris may exacerbate these feelings.
Can tetris addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for tetris addiction to lead to sadness and depression. While playing tetris in moderation can be a fun and enjoyable activity, excessive playing can lead to negative consequences. Tetris addiction can cause individuals to neglect other important aspects of their life, such as work, relationships, and self-care. This can ultimately lead to feelings of sadness, loneliness, and depression.
Additionally, excessive gaming can disrupt sleep patterns, which can also contribute to feelings of fatigue, irritability, and depression. It is important for individuals to practice moderation and seek help if they feel unable to control their gaming habits.
Dopamine and tetris
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is released in the brain in response to pleasurable experiences, such as playing video games like Tetris. Tetris has been shown to increase dopamine levels in the brain, which contributes to the enjoyable and rewarding experience of the game. The fast-paced, repetitive nature of Tetris gameplay triggers the release of dopamine, leading to a feeling of satisfaction and motivation to continue playing. This is one reason why Tetris is considered a highly addictive game.
tetris effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Tetris can have both positive and negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance, depending on how it is used.
- 1. Improves cognitive skills: Tetris requires players to use their visual-spatial skills, attention, and working memory. Playing Tetris regularly can improve these cognitive skills, which can in turn improve focus and productivity.
- 2. Reduces anxiety: Tetris has been found to reduce anxiety levels in players. This can help improve focus and productivity, especially in high-stress situations.
- 3. Increases creativity: Some studies have found that playing Tetris can increase creativity and problem-solving abilities. This can help in academic performance and other areas that require creative thinking.
- 1. Addiction: Tetris can be addictive, and excessive playing can lead to a decrease in productivity and attention span.
- 2. Distraction: Playing Tetris during work or study can be distracting and decrease productivity.
- 3. Time consumption: Spending too much time playing Tetris can lead to a decrease in academic performance and other important tasks.
Overall, if played in moderation, Tetris can have positive effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. However, excessive playing should be avoided.
A word about ADHD and tetris
People with ADHD may interact differently with Tetris compared to individuals without ADHD. Tetris has been found to be an effective tool for improving attention and working memory in individuals with ADHD. Studies have shown that playing Tetris can increase activity in the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for attention and working memory.
However, individuals with ADHD may also experience difficulties with impulsivity and poor inhibition control. This can lead to impulsive playing and difficulty in focusing on the game. As a result, individuals with ADHD may need more structure and guidance when playing Tetris to help them stay focused and engaged.
Overall, while individuals with ADHD may interact differently with Tetris, it can still be a helpful tool for improving attention and working memory.
affecting your relationships
tetris and self-esteem
Tetris can have a positive impact on self-esteem in several ways:
- 1. Accomplishment: Successfully completing a level or beating a high score in Tetris can give a sense of accomplishment and boost self-esteem.
- 2. Focus and concentration: Playing Tetris requires focus and concentration, which can help build self-esteem by giving a sense of control and competence.
- 3. Self-improvement: As players get better at Tetris, they can see improvement in their performance, which can lead to a sense of mastery and confidence.
- 4. Stress relief: Playing Tetris can be a form of stress relief, which can have a positive impact on overall mood and self-esteem.
Overall, the sense of achievement, control, and improvement that Tetris can provide can help boost self-esteem and confidence.
tetris addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, it is possible for Tetris addiction to lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to Tetris, they may prioritize playing the game over engaging in social activities and spending time with friends and family. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation as they withdraw from social connections.
Additionally, excessive gaming can lead to a lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and neglect of other responsibilities, which can also contribute to feelings of isolation and loneliness. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between gaming and social activities to avoid the negative consequences of addiction.
Effects of tetris on your relationship
Positive effects of Tetris on relationships:
- 1. Improves communication: Playing Tetris together can improve communication within a relationship as it requires players to coordinate and communicate in order to be successful.
- 2. Enhances teamwork: Tetris requires players to work together towards a common goal, which can help foster a sense of teamwork and collaboration within a relationship.
- 3. Reduces stress: Playing Tetris can help reduce stress levels and create a more relaxed environment for couples to spend time together.
- 4. Builds trust: Playing Tetris together can help build trust between partners as they rely on each other to make strategic moves and work towards a common goal.
Negative effects of Tetris on relationships:
- 1. Can lead to frustration: If one partner is significantly better at Tetris than the other, it can lead to frustration and tension in the relationship.
- 2. Adds pressure: Playing Tetris can add pressure to a relationship as partners may feel the need to perform well in order to impress each other.
- 3. Can be a distraction: If one partner is overly focused on playing Tetris, it can become a distraction and take away from quality time spent together.
- 4. May cause conflict: If partners have differing opinions on how to play Tetris, it can lead to conflict and disagreements.
How To Stop & quit Your tetris Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to tetris and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for tetris?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your tetris addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the tetris addiction
- 1. Recognize the signs of Tetris addiction. Signs may include excessive time spent playing the game, neglecting other activities and responsibilities, and an inability to stop playing despite wanting to.
- 2. Set limits on how much time you spend playing Tetris. Set a timer to limit yourself to only playing for a certain amount of time each day, and stick to it.
- 3. Take a break from Tetris. Take at least one day off each week and find something else to do.
- 4. Find alternatives to Tetris. Spend time doing activities that you enjoy, such as reading, writing, playing sports, or spending time with friends and family.
- 5. Seek professional help if needed. If you find that you are unable to stop playing Tetris despite your best efforts, seek help from a mental health professional.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including tetris:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of tetris
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your tetris accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: