Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addiction to Roblox, all the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the subway surfers addiction.
- What’s the subway surfers addiction?
- Addiction to subway surfers, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered subway surfers addiction
- How much subway surfers is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the subway surfers addiction
- Why is subway surfers so addictive?
- Possible causes of subway surfers dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of subway surfers addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of subway surfers
- Some benefits of subway surfers
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your subway surfers addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the subway surfers addiction
- Best subway surfers blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with subway surfers addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the subway surfers addiction?
About subway surfers
Subway Surfers is a mobile game where players control characters who run on train tracks, avoiding obstacles and collecting coins and power-ups. The game is known for its colorful graphics and fast-paced gameplay.
Addiction to subway surfers, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes subway surfers addiction?
No, Subway Surfers addiction is not listed in the DSM-5, which is the manual used by mental health professionals to diagnose mental health disorders. However, excessive and compulsive use of video games and the internet can be classified under Internet Gaming Disorder or Internet Addiction Disorder, which are not yet officially recognized as mental health disorders in the DSM-5, but are currently being researched and studied by mental health professionals.
So what means “subway surfers addiction”?
Subway Surfers addiction refers to the strong desire or compulsion to play the mobile game Subway Surfers for extended periods of time. This addiction is often characterized by a persistent need to achieve higher scores, unlock new characters, and progress through the game’s various levels. Players may find themselves spending hours playing the game, neglecting other responsibilities, and experiencing withdrawal symptoms when unable to play. The game’s addictive nature is attributed to its fast-paced gameplay, colorful graphics, and the satisfaction of achieving new goals and rewards.
What is considered subway surfers addiction?
- 1. Preoccupation: A person addicted to Subway Surfers will constantly think about the game, even when they’re not playing it. They may think about strategies to improve their score, new characters to unlock or new challenges to complete.
- 2. Loss of Control: A person addicted to Subway Surfers will find it difficult to stop playing, even when they know they should. They may spend more time playing than they intended to, or play at times when they should be doing other things.
- 3. Tolerance: Over time, a person addicted to Subway Surfers may find that they need to play the game for longer periods of time or more frequently in order to feel satisfied.
- 4. Withdrawal Symptoms: When a person addicted to Subway Surfers is unable to play the game, they may experience withdrawal symptoms such as irritability, restlessness, and anxiety.
- 5. Interference with Daily Life: If a person’s addiction to Subway Surfers begins to impact their daily life, such as neglecting responsibilities, relationships, or work, it may be a sign that they have a problem.
- 6. Continued Use Despite Negative Consequences: Even when a person addicted to Subway Surfers experiences negative consequences such as financial problems, relationship issues, or health problems, they may continue to play the game compulsively.
How much subway surfers is too much?
It is important to maintain a balance between playing games and other important activities such as work, study, exercise, and socializing. It is recommended that individuals limit their screen time to a maximum of 2 hours per day and take frequent breaks to avoid eye strain, headaches, and other health issues. Ultimately, the amount of time spent playing Subway Surfers or any other game is a personal choice that should be made based on individual priorities and responsibilities.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the subway surfers addiction widespread?
It is difficult to determine the exact number of people addicted to Subway Surfers, but the game has been downloaded over 2 billion times worldwide since its release in 2012, indicating that it has a large and dedicated player base.
Additionally, the game’s addictive gameplay mechanics and frequent updates may contribute to some players becoming addicted to it. However, it is important to note that addiction is a serious issue and should be addressed with professional help if necessary.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of subway surfers addiction
Why is subway surfers so addictive?
Subway Surfers is addictive for several reasons:
- 1. Simple gameplay: The gameplay is straightforward, easy to understand, and easy to play. The player has to swipe left, right, up, and down to avoid obstacles and collect coins.
- 2. Endless runner: The game is an endless runner, which means that there is no end to the game, and the player can keep playing as long as they want. This gives the player a sense of achievement and progress.
- 3. Rewards: The game provides rewards in the form of coins, keys, and other items that the player can use to upgrade their characters and power-ups.
- 4. Competitive: The game has a leaderboard, which allows players to compete with each other and see who can get the highest score.
- 5. Engaging graphics: The graphics are colorful, vibrant, and engaging, which keeps the player hooked to the game.
Possible causes of subway surfers dependency
Here are some potential reasons why people may become addicted to playing Subway Surfers:
- 1. Easy to play: Subway Surfers is a simple game that can be played by anyone regardless of age or gaming experience.
- 2. Competitive nature: the game allows players to compete with friends and people all over the world, which increases the desire to keep playing to improve their scores.
- 3. Rewards and challenges: The game offers rewards and challenges that keep players engaged and motivated to keep playing.
- 4. Sense of accomplishment: The feeling of accomplishment that comes with achieving a high score or completing a difficult challenge can be addictive.
- 5. Social influence: Seeing friends and family members playing the game can encourage others to join in and become addicted as well.
It is important to note that addiction can be a serious concern and seeking professional help may be necessary for individuals who are struggling with controlling their gaming habits.
Signs & Symptoms of subway surfers addiction
Now let’s see if you have the subway surfers addiction problem.
- 1. You dream about playing Subway Surfers: If you find yourself dreaming about playing Subway Surfers, or even dreaming about the game’s characters, you are likely addicted.
- 2. You play Subway Surfers every day: If you play Subway Surfers every day, or multiple times a day, you are likely addicted.
- 3. You prioritize playing Subway Surfers over other activities: If you find yourself canceling plans with friends or family in order to play Subway Surfers, you are likely addicted.
- 4. You spend money on Subway Surfers: If you regularly spend money on in-app purchases for Subway Surfers, you are likely addicted.
- 5. You get anxious when you can’t play Subway Surfers: If you feel anxious or irritable when you can’t play Subway Surfers, you are likely addicted.
- 6. You know all the tricks and secrets: If you know all the tricks and secrets to winning Subway Surfers, you are likely addicted and have spent a lot of time researching and playing the game.
- 7. You talk about Subway Surfers all the time: If you find yourself talking about Subway Surfers to everyone you meet, you are likely addicted and may need to find a new hobby or interest.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of subway surfers: should you quit?
What are some benefits of subway surfers
We can provide some advantages and features of Subway Surfers that make it a popular game:
- 1. Simple Gameplay: Subway Surfers has a straightforward gameplay that is easy to understand and play. The game is designed in a way that anyone, irrespective of age, can play and enjoy.
- 2. Great Graphics: The game has colorful and vibrant graphics that are visually appealing. The characters and surroundings are well-designed, making the game more immersive.
- 3. Continuous Updates: The game developers release regular updates, adding new characters, locations, and challenges, keeping the game fresh and exciting.
- 4. Addictive: Subway Surfers is a highly addictive game that keeps players engaged for hours. The game’s scoring system and leaderboards motivate players to keep playing, trying to beat their own high scores or those of their friends.
- 5. Free-to-Play: The game is free to download and play, making it accessible to a wide audience.
Additionally, the in-game purchases are optional and do not affect the gameplay, making it a fair game for all players.
Overall, Subway Surfers is a fun and engaging game that has a lot to offer. Its simple gameplay, great graphics, and regular updates make it a popular choice among gamers.But at the opposite, what can be some subway surfers addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Subway Surfers is a popular mobile game that involves running and jumping through a train station while avoiding obstacles and collecting coins. While the game can be enjoyable and entertaining, it is important to consider the potential effects it may have on your health.
- 1. Eye Strain: Playing Subway Surfers for extended periods of time can cause eye strain, which may lead to headaches, blurred vision, and fatigue.
- 2. Poor Posture: Playing for prolonged periods may also cause poor posture, which can lead to back, neck, and shoulder pain.
- 3. Reduced Physical Activity: Playing Subway Surfers may result in less physical activity, which can contribute to an unhealthy lifestyle and increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.
- 4. Addiction: Like other video games, Subway Surfers can be addictive, leading to excessive screen time and neglecting other important aspects of life such as work, study, and social interactions.
Overall, playing Subway Surfers in moderation is unlikely to have significant negative impacts on your health, but it is important to be aware of the potential effects and balance your gameplay with other healthy activities.
subway surfers and sleep disorder
It is possible for excessive use of Subway Surfers or any electronic device before bedtime to disrupt sleep patterns and cause sleep problems. The blue light emitted by electronic devices can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. This can make it more difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep, leading to sleep deprivation and other related issues. It is recommended to limit electronic device use before bedtime to promote healthy sleep habits.
subway surfers affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of subway surfers on your brain
Excessive or addictive gaming can lead to negative impacts on mental health and cognitive function. Here are some potential bad effects of Subway Surfers on your brain:
- 1. Addiction: Playing Subway Surfers for extended periods can lead to addiction, which may cause anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.
- 2. Decreased Attention Span: Constant exposure to fast-paced action in the game can decrease your attention span and make it challenging to focus on other tasks.
- 3. Reduced Productivity: Spending too much time playing Subway Surfers can lead to procrastination and a lack of productivity in other areas of your life.
- 4. Poor Memory Retention: Gaming can interfere with the brain’s ability to retain information, which can cause problems in school or work.
- 5. Increased Aggression: Some studies suggest that violent video games can increase aggression in players, leading to negative behavior and social interactions.
It is essential to set healthy boundaries and limit your exposure to video games to prevent these negative effects.
Some effects of subway surfers on your mental health
There is limited research on the specific effects of Subway Surfers on mental health. However, excessive gaming or screen time in general can lead to negative effects on mental health. Some potential impacts may include:
- 1. Addiction: Like many other video games, Subway Surfers can be addictive, and excessive playing can lead to a dependence on the game.
- 2. Anxiety: Playing games like Subway Surfers can be stressful, particularly if the player is attempting to beat their high score or complete levels.
- 3. Social isolation: Spending too much time playing games can lead to social isolation and a lack of face-to-face interaction with others.
- 4. Decreased attention span: Playing Subway Surfers for extended periods may lead to a decrease in attention span, which can impact academic or work performance.
- 5. Sleep problems: Playing video games before bed can lead to difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, which can impact mental health.
Overall, moderation is key when it comes to playing Subway Surfers or any other video game. If you feel that your gaming habits are affecting your mental health negatively, it may be helpful to take a break or seek support from a mental health professional.
Does subway surfers cause stress and anxiety?
It is possible that playing Subway Surfers could cause stress or anxiety in some individuals. Factors such as high-pressure gameplay, competitive leaderboards, and the need to constantly improve one’s skills can contribute to feelings of stress or anxiety.
Additionally, spending excessive amounts of time playing the game could lead to neglect of other responsibilities or social activities, which could also contribute to stress or anxiety. However, it is important to note that not everyone will experience these negative effects from playing Subway Surfers, and some individuals may find the game to be a fun and enjoyable way to pass the time.
Can subway surfers addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, an addiction to Subway Surfers can potentially lead to sadness and depression. This is because excessive gaming can lead to a decrease in physical activity, social isolation, and neglect of important responsibilities such as school or work.
Additionally, constantly striving for a high score or unlocking new achievements can become frustrating and lead to feelings of disappointment and failure. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between gaming and other aspects of life to avoid negative consequences such as sadness and depression.
Dopamine and subway surfers
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. Subway Surfers is a popular mobile game that involves running and jumping through subway systems while collecting coins and power-ups. The game is designed to trigger the release of dopamine in the brain by providing players with a sense of achievement and satisfaction for completing challenges, earning rewards, and progressing through the game’s levels. The dopamine release can lead to increased motivation, focus, and enjoyment while playing Subway Surfers.
subway surfers effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Yes, playing Subway Surfers (or any video game) for extended periods of time can negatively affect focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. Studies have shown that excessive screen time can lead to decreased attention span and poorer academic performance, as well as increased impulsivity and distractibility.
Additionally, playing video games can be addictive, leading to a decrease in productivity as more time is spent playing the game instead of completing tasks or studying. It is important to set limits on screen time and prioritize academic and work responsibilities.
A word about ADHD and subway surfers
It is difficult to make a generalization about how people with ADHD interact with Subway Surfers as everyone with ADHD experiences the condition differently. However, some individuals with ADHD may find it more challenging to focus on the game for extended periods of time, which may impact their ability to achieve high scores or progress quickly through the game.
Additionally, some individuals with ADHD may find the fast-paced, visually stimulating nature of the game appealing and may enjoy the challenge of trying to improve their performance. Ultimately, the way in which an individual with ADHD interacts with Subway Surfers will depend on their unique experience with the condition and their personal interests and preferences.
affecting your relationships
subway surfers and self-esteem
Subway Surfers can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem, depending on how the game is played and perceived by the individual.
– Achievement: As the player progresses through the game, they may feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in their success, which can boost self-esteem.
– Competence: Mastering the game’s mechanics and improving one’s high score can also give players a sense of competence and confidence in their abilities.
– Social Connection: If the player is part of a community of Subway Surfers players, they may feel a sense of belonging and connectedness, which can enhance self-esteem.
– Comparison: If the player constantly compares their score or progress to others, they may feel inferior or inadequate, which can lower self-esteem.
– Frustration: Failing to achieve a desired score or level can lead to frustration and disappointment, which can negatively impact self-esteem.
– Addiction: Playing Subway Surfers excessively can lead to neglect of other responsibilities, which can lower self-esteem due to perceived failure or lack of productivity.
Overall, the impact of Subway Surfers on self-esteem varies depending on the individual’s mindset, motivation, and habits.
subway surfers addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, subway surfers addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to subway surfers, they may spend excessive amounts of time playing the game, which can cause them to neglect their social relationships and activities outside of the game. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation, as the person may miss out on social events or spend less time with friends and family.
Additionally, if the addiction becomes severe, the person may prioritize playing subway surfers over other responsibilities, including work or school, which can further isolate them from others. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between playing games and engaging in social activities to avoid the negative consequences of addiction.
Effects of subway surfers on your relationship
Here are some possible positive and negative effects of playing Subway Surfers on a relationship:
- 1. It can be a fun activity to do together, which may help strengthen your bond.
- 2. Playing the game may provide an opportunity for friendly competition, encouraging you to support and motivate each other.
- 3. Sharing high scores and achievements can create a sense of shared accomplishment and pride.
- 4. Playing together can be a way to relax and de-stress, which can improve overall mood and reduce tension in the relationship.
- 1. If one partner becomes obsessed with the game, it may cause neglect of the relationship or other responsibilities.
- 2. Constant interruptions during quality time together can be annoying and may lead to conflicts or feelings of neglect.
- 3. If one partner is significantly better at the game, it may create feelings of jealousy or resentment.
- 4. If playing the game becomes a source of disagreement or arguments, it can create tension and strain on the relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your subway surfers Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to subway surfers and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for subway surfers?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your subway surfers addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the subway surfers addiction
- 1. Acknowledge the addiction: The first step towards getting rid of an addiction is to acknowledge that you have one. Accepting that playing Subway Surfers is causing negative effects on your life is essential to move forward.
- 2. Set goals: Setting specific and achievable goals can help you stay focused on your path to recovery. For example, you may set a goal to limit your gameplay time to a certain amount per day or week.
- 3. Find a replacement activity: Find a new activity that can replace your Subway Surfers gameplay. Engage in physical activities, read books, or learn a new skill to keep your mind and body occupied.
- 4. Seek support: Reach out to friends and family for support. Join a support group or find a counselor who can provide you with the tools to overcome your addiction.
- 5. Take a break: Take a break from playing Subway Surfers. This may help reduce your cravings for the game and give you a chance to focus on other areas of your life.
Remember, addiction is a serious issue, and it may require professional help to overcome. It is important to seek help if you are struggling to get rid of your addiction.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including subway surfers:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of subway surfers
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your subway surfers accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: