Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the splatoon addiction.
- What’s the splatoon addiction?
- Addiction to splatoon, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered splatoon addiction
- How much splatoon is too much?
- Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the splatoon addiction
- Why is splatoon so addictive?
- Possible causes of splatoon dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of splatoon addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of splatoon
- Some benefits of splatoon
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your splatoon addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the splatoon addiction
- Best splatoon blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with splatoon addiction
- Best books about Video games addiction
- Research about Video games addiction
What is the splatoon addiction?
Splatoon is a third person shooter video game in which players compete to cover the playing area with their team’s ink.
Addiction to splatoon, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes splatoon addiction?
No, splatoon addiction is not listed in the DSM-5.
So what means “splatoon addiction”?
Splatoon addiction is a term used to describe the intense attraction that some players have towards the Splatoon video game series. It can manifest itself in the form of frequent and extended gameplay, the accumulation of in-game items, and an obsession with playing the game.
What is considered splatoon addiction?
- 1. Playing Splatoon excessively, to the exclusion of other activities.
- 2. Feeling irritable or agitated when unable to play Splatoon.
- 3. Spending large amounts of money on Splatoon-related items and activities.
- 4. Preoccupation with Splatoon, thinking about it constantly.
- 5. Neglecting responsibilities, such as work, school, or family obligations.
- 6. Continuing to play Splatoon despite negative consequences, such as relationship problems or financial difficulties.
- 7. Becoming defensive or hostile when confronted about the amount of time spent playing Splatoon.
- 8. Lying about the amount of time spent playing Splatoon.
- 9. Feeling the need to increase the amount of time playing Splatoon in order to achieve satisfaction.
How much splatoon is too much?
It is ultimately up to the individual to decide how much time is too much to spend playing Splatoon. However, it is important to maintain a healthy balance between playing the game and other activities. Playing too much could lead to physical and mental health issues such as fatigue, depression, and insomnia. It is important to take regular breaks from the game and engage in other activities as well.
Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the splatoon addiction widespread?
It is possible for some individuals to become addicted to video games, and it is important for players to maintain a healthy balance between gaming and other aspects of their lives. It’s always a good idea to take breaks, exercise, and engage in other activities to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of splatoon addiction
Why is splatoon so addictive?
Splatoon is so addictive because it combines the thrill of a shooter game with the fun of a team-based game. It has a unique and vibrant art style, a catchy soundtrack, and a variety of weapons, maps, and game modes. Splatoon also offers a variety of deep strategies and team-based tactics. The game is fast-paced and constantly evolving, which keeps players coming back for more.
Possible causes of splatoon dependency
- 1. The game’s highly competitive nature: Splatoon is a fast-paced, highly competitive shooter game that rewards skill and strategy. The thrill of winning a round or earning a high score can be addictive for some players.
- 2. The bright, colorful visuals: Splatoon’s vibrant and vibrant visuals are an attractive feature for many players. The game’s bright colors and whimsical characters add to its appeal.
- 3. The customization options: Players can customize their characters, weapons, and gear to make them their own. This allows them to create a unique experience and gives them a sense of ownership and accomplishment.
- 4. The community: Splatoon has a thriving online community of players who can compete against each other in ranked battles and tournaments. This can be an attractive feature for those looking for a sense of belonging and camaraderie.
Signs & Symptoms of splatoon addiction
Now let’s see if you have the splatoon addiction problem.
- 1. You can’t stop talking about it.
- 2. You have memorized all the weapons and their stats.
- 3. You have a favorite map and love to play it.
- 4. You have a special outfit for each mode and map.
- 5. You have tried to recreate the music from the game.
- 6. You have a favorite weapon that you use every game.
- 7. You spend more time playing Splatoon than other games.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of splatoon: should you quit?
What are some benefits of splatoon
- 1. Fun and Strategic Gameplay: Splatoon is a unique and fun game that combines strategy with action. It is easy to learn, but also has a level of depth that makes it challenging for experienced players. The game offers several different weapons and strategies to choose from, which allows players to customize their playstyle and come up with creative strategies.
- 2. Unique Visual Style: Splatoon has a colorful and vibrant art style, with a unique aesthetic that stands out from other shooters. The game’s visuals are also crisp and vibrant, making it easy to pick out enemies and objectives on the battlefield.
- 3. Variety of Modes: Splatoon has several different modes, from the traditional Turf War to the new Salmon Run, which adds an extra layer of challenge and fun. The game also has a single-player campaign, which is great for players that prefer to play alone.
- 4. Social Aspect: Splatoon is a great game for playing with friends. It’s easy to join an online lobby with your friends and play together. You can also join global tournaments to test your skills against other players.
- 5. Challenges: Splatoon also offers daily and weekly challenges to keep players engaged. These challenges are a great way to practice and hone your skills, as well as earn rewards.
But at the opposite, what can be some splatoon addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Splatoon is considered a relatively safe game for people of all ages, and it can have a positive effect on your health. Splatoon is a team-based shooter game that encourages players to be active and use their brains to strategize. It can help with hand-eye coordination and motor skills, as well as improve problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
Additionally, playing Splatoon can help relieve stress and anxiety, and can even help with depression. Overall, playing Splatoon can be good for your health.
splatoon and sleep disorder
There is no evidence to suggest that playing Splatoon, or any video game, can directly cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, excessive screen time before bedtime can disrupt the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle and make it harder to fall asleep. It is recommended to limit screen time before bed and establish a consistent sleep routine to promote healthy sleep habits.
Additionally, it is important to take breaks during gameplay and engage in other activities to prevent eye strain and promote overall health.
splatoon affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of splatoon on your brain
- 1. Reduced Concentration: Playing Splatoon may reduce your ability to concentrate on other tasks. It may cause distraction and difficulty in focusing on important tasks.
- 2. Decreased Cognitive Flexibility: Splatoon may decrease your cognitive flexibility, or your ability to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions.
- 3. Increased Stress: Playing Splatoon can increase stress levels, which can lead to irritability, fatigue, and other negative mental health symptoms.
- 4. Sleep Disturbances: Splatoon may interfere with your sleep patterns, which can lead to fatigue and irritability during the day.
- 5. Poor Social Skills: Splatoon can lead to a decrease in communication and social skills, as players may become too engrossed in the game to interact with others.
Some effects of splatoon on your mental health
- 1. Increased Stress: Splatoon can be a highly competitive game, which can lead to increased stress levels among players. This can be especially true if players are competing against each other in a tournament.
- 2. Sleep Deprivation: Splatoon can be a very addictive game, and players can often find themselves playing for hours at a time. This can lead to a lack of sleep, which can have a negative impact on mental health.
- 3. Loss of Concentration: Splatoon can be a very fast-paced game, and players can often find themselves losing concentration when trying to keep up with the action. This can lead to decreased mental focus and can have a negative impact on performance.
- 4. Reduced Social Interaction: Splatoon is typically a single-player game, and can thus lead to reduced social interaction for players. This can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness, which can have a negative impact on mental health.
Does splatoon cause stress and anxiety?
This can be due to the competitive nature of the game, the high-paced action, and the pressure to perform well.
Additionally, if someone is prone to anxiety or has a history of anxiety, playing Splatoon or any other video game can trigger anxiety symptoms. It is important to take breaks and practice self-care while gaming to prevent or manage any potential stress or anxiety.
Can splatoon addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for addiction to any activity, including Splatoon, to lead to sadness and depression. Addiction can cause individuals to prioritize the activity over other important aspects of their life, such as relationships, work, and self-care. This can lead to feelings of isolation, guilt, and low self-esteem, which can contribute to depression.
Additionally, excessive gaming can disrupt normal sleep patterns, which can also contribute to depression. If someone is experiencing sadness or depression related to their Splatoon addiction, it is important for them to seek help from a mental health professional.
Dopamine and splatoon
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in the brain’s reward system. It is responsible for feelings of pleasure, motivation, and reinforcement.
Splatoon is a popular video game that was released in 2015 for the Nintendo Wii U and has since been ported to the Nintendo Switch. In the game, players control characters called Inklings who can transform into squids and cover the game environment with ink.
When playing Splatoon, dopamine is released in the brain as a result of the game’s rewarding mechanics. For example, when a player successfully covers more of the map with their ink than the opposing team, they receive points and rewards, which can trigger a release of dopamine in the brain. This can lead to feelings of pleasure, motivation, and reinforcement, which can make the player want to continue playing the game.
Overall, dopamine plays a significant role in the enjoyment and addiction of playing Splatoon, as it is released as a result of the game’s rewarding mechanics.
splatoon effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Excessive gaming, in general, can have negative impacts on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. It is important to balance gaming with other activities and responsibilities to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Additionally, it is crucial to limit screen time before bedtime to promote good sleep hygiene.
A word about ADHD and splatoon
There is no clear evidence that people with ADHD interact differently with Splatoon than people without ADHD. However, some studies have shown that people with ADHD may experience difficulties with attention and executive functioning, which may affect their performance in video games like Splatoon. For example, they may have difficulty focusing on the game objectives, staying organized, and making quick decisions.
Additionally, people with ADHD may also be more impulsive, which could result in them taking risks that may not be beneficial for their team in Splatoon. However, it is important to note that each person with ADHD is unique, and their experience with Splatoon may vary.
affecting your relationships
splatoon and self-esteem
Splatoon is a video game that involves players taking on the role of a squid-like character and engaging in battles with other players. The game can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem, depending on how it is played and perceived by the player.
- 1. Sense of Achievement: Winning battles, completing challenges, and leveling up in the game can give players a sense of accomplishment and boost their self-esteem.
- 2. Social Connection: Playing with friends or joining online communities can provide players with a sense of belonging and social connection, which can improve their self-esteem.
- 3. Creative Expression: The game allows players to customize their characters and weapons, which can provide an outlet for creative expression and boost self-esteem.
- 1. Comparison with Others: Players may compare their skills and achievements with others, leading to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem.
- 2. Online Harassment: Some players may experience online harassment or bullying, which can negatively impact their self-esteem and mental health.
- 3. Addiction: Excessive gaming can lead to addiction, which can negatively impact self-esteem as a person may feel like they are losing control of their behavior.
Overall, Splatoon can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem, and it is important for players to be mindful of how they play the game and how it affects their mental health.
splatoon addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive addiction to Splatoon or any other video game can lead to isolation and loneliness. When individuals spend too much time playing video games, they may neglect their social life and relationships with family and friends. They may also lose interest in activities that they used to enjoy, leading to further isolation.
Additionally, excessive gaming can lead to poor physical health, which can also contribute to feelings of loneliness and isolation. It is important for individuals to have a healthy balance between gaming and other aspects of their life to avoid the negative consequences of addiction.
Effects of splatoon on your relationship
– Splatoon can be a fun and engaging activity that you and your partner can enjoy together, which can strengthen your bond and create shared experiences.
– Playing Splatoon together can help you develop teamwork skills and communication, as you work together to complete objectives and defeat opponents.
– The game can also provide a healthy outlet for competition, allowing you to engage in friendly competition with your partner and improve your skills.
– If one partner is more skilled at the game than the other, it can create frustration and tension in the relationship, as the less skilled partner may feel left behind or inadequate.
– Playing Splatoon for long periods of time can take away from quality time that could be spent engaging in other activities or building intimacy in the relationship.
– If one partner becomes overly obsessed with the game, it can lead to neglect of other responsibilities and strain the relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your splatoon Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to splatoon and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for splatoon?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your splatoon addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the splatoon addiction
- 1. Recognize that you have a Splatoon addiction. Acknowledge that your behavior is causing harm and that it needs to be changed.
- 2. Set a goal for reducing or eliminating your Splatoon playtime. Make a plan for how much time is acceptable and stick to it.
- 3. Take steps to reduce your playtime. Spend less time playing the game and more time engaging in other activities such as sports, hobbies, or socializing with family and friends.
- 4. Find alternate activities to replace Splatoon. Find healthier ways to satisfy your need for entertainment such as reading, exercising, or doing something creative.
- 5. Seek help if necessary. If you find that you are unable to reduce your Splatoon playtime on your own, consider seeking professional help.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including splatoon:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of splatoon
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your splatoon accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: