Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the pokemon addiction.
- What’s the pokemon addiction?
- Addiction to pokemon, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered pokemon addiction
- How much pokemon is too much?
- Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the pokemon addiction
- Why is pokemon so addictive?
- Possible causes of pokemon dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of pokemon addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of pokemon
- Some benefits of pokemon
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your pokemon addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the pokemon addiction
- Best pokemon blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with pokemon addiction
- Best books about Video games addiction
- Research about Video games addiction
What is the pokemon addiction?
Pokemon is a media franchise owned by Japanese video game company Nintendo and created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1996. Pokemon is short for “Pocket Monsters,” and refers to the creatures that players, called “trainers,” collect and train. The original Pokemon games were released for the Nintendo Game Boy, and the franchise has since grown to include video games, trading card games, animated television shows and movies, and toys.
Addiction to pokemon, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes pokemon addiction?
There is no mention of Pokemon addiction in the DSM-5.
So what means “pokemon addiction”?
There is no official diagnosis for pokemon addiction, but it could be described as an obsession with the pokemon franchise. This could manifest as spending excessive amounts of time playing pokemon games, collecting pokemon merchandise, or watching pokemon cartoons. Some people may feel like they need to constantly be involved with pokemon in some way in order to feel happy or fulfilled. In severe cases, pokemon addiction can interfere with a person’s ability to function in everyday life.
What is considered pokemon addiction?
- 1. A preoccupation with Pokémon, such as thinking about Pokémon characters and spending a lot of time playing Pokémon-related games.
- 2. A loss of interest in other activities that used to be enjoyable, such as playing outside or spending time with friends.
- 3. A need to spend more and more time playing Pokémon in order to feel satisfied.
- 4. withdrawing from family and friends in order to spend more time playing Pokémon.
- 5. continuing to play Pokémon despite negative consequences, such as poor grades or losing friends.
- 6. feeling irritable, anxious, or depressed when not playing Pokémon.
- 7. using Pokémon as a way to escape from problems or negative emotions.
- 8. lying about how much time is spent playing Pokémon.
- 9. stealing Pokémon games or trading cards in order to get more.
- 10. feeling unable to control one’s Pokémon playing.
How much pokemon is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it varies from person to person. Some people may find that spending a few hours a day on Pokémon is perfectly fine, while others may feel that this is too much time and prefer to limit their Pokémon-related activities to a few minutes or even seconds per day. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide how much time is too much.
Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the pokemon addiction widespread?
The franchise has been popular for over two decades and has a dedicated fan base. However, it’s important to note that enjoying a hobby or interest is not the same as being addicted to it. Addiction involves compulsive behavior that interferes with daily life and can have negative consequences.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of pokemon addiction
Why is pokemon so addictive?
There are many possible explanations for why Pokemon may be addictive to some people. These include the fact that it is a collectible game with many different characters to collect, the competitive element of trying to become the best trainer, and the social element of trading and battle with friends.
Possible causes of pokemon dependency
There is no one answer to this question as different people can be addicted to Pokémon for different reasons. Some might be addicted to the game itself, while others might be addicted to the characters or the competitive aspect of the franchise.
Signs & Symptoms of pokemon addiction
Now let’s see if you have the pokemon addiction problem.
- 1. You can’t stop thinking about pokemon.
- 2. You daydream about being a pokemon trainer.
- 3. You spend hours playing pokemon games.
- 4. You have a collection of pokemon merchandise.
- 5. You dress up as pokemon characters for Halloween or other occasions.
- 6. You know all the pokemon characters and can recite their names and stats.
- 7. You are always on the lookout for new pokemon games and information.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of pokemon: should you quit?
What are some benefits of pokemon
There are many pros and advantages to playing the Pokemon game. It is a great game for people of all ages and it can be played alone or with friends. Pokemon is also a great way to relieve stress and have fun.But at the opposite, what can be some pokemon addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is no definitive answer to this question as everyone experiences different health effects from playing Pokémon. Some people may find that Pokémon helps them stay active and healthy, while others may become more sedentary and develop health problems as a result. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to make sure they are staying healthy while playing Pokémon.
pokemon and sleep disorder
There is currently no evidence to suggest that playing Pokemon or interacting with Pokemon in any way can cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, like with any form of electronic entertainment, it is important to practice good sleep hygiene by limiting screen time before bedtime and creating a relaxing bedtime routine to ensure a good night’s sleep.
Additionally, if playing Pokemon or any other electronic game is causing significant disruption to one’s sleep, it may be worth considering reducing the amount of time spent playing or seeking guidance from a healthcare professional.
pokemon affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of pokemon on your brain
The potential negative effects of Pokémon on the brain are largely unknown. However, some experts believe that Pokémon can have a negative impact on short-term memory, attention span, and problem-solving skills.
Additionally, some parents and experts worry that the violence in Pokémon games and movies may desensitize children to real-world violence.
Some effects of pokemon on your mental health
It is possible that playing Pokémon can lead to some negative mental health effects, especially if the game is played obsessively.Pokémon can lead to social isolation and withdrawal, as well as anxiety and depression. It is also possible that Pokémon can be used as a tool to cope with negative emotions or escape from reality. If Pokémon is impacting your mental health negatively, it is important to talk to a trusted adult or mental health professional.
Does pokemon cause stress and anxiety?
Additionally, the competitive nature of some Pokemon games may also contribute to feelings of stress or anxiety. However, for many people, playing Pokemon can be a fun and relaxing activity. If you are experiencing stress or anxiety related to playing Pokemon or any other activity, it may be helpful to take a break or speak with a mental health professional.
Can pokemon addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for excessive involvement in any activity, including playing Pokemon, to lead to sadness and depression. If playing Pokemon becomes the sole focus of a person’s life and interferes with their daily responsibilities and relationships, it can lead to feelings of loneliness, isolation, and hopelessness.
Additionally, if a person experiences negative feedback or criticism from others about their Pokemon addiction, it can further contribute to feelings of sadness and depression. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and seek help if Pokemon or any other activity begins to negatively impact one’s mental health.
Dopamine and pokemon
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter in the brain that is associated with pleasure, reward, and motivation. In the case of Pokemon, it has been suggested that the game can increase dopamine levels in the brain due to its reward system, which includes catching new Pokemon, leveling up, and winning battles. When players achieve these goals, dopamine is released in the brain, providing a sense of satisfaction and pleasure. This can lead to addictive behavior and a desire to continue playing the game in order to experience the same pleasurable sensation again.
pokemon effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
There is limited research on the direct effects of playing Pokemon on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. However, some studies suggest that playing video games in general can have both positive and negative impacts on these areas.
On one hand, playing video games can enhance certain cognitive skills, such as spatial awareness, problem-solving, and decision-making. These skills may translate to improved focus, productivity, and academic performance.
On the other hand, excessive gaming can lead to decreased attention span, lower academic achievement, and poorer time management skills.
Additionally, playing video games can be a distraction and lead to decreased productivity if done during work or study time.
Overall, it is important to maintain a balance between playing video games and other activities, such as studying and physical exercise, to ensure optimal academic and cognitive performance.
A word about ADHD and pokemon
There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on the individual with ADHD and their specific symptoms and experiences. However, some research suggests that individuals with ADHD may have a heightened interest in video games, including Pokemon, due to the novelty and stimulation they provide.
Additionally, individuals with ADHD may have difficulty with sustained attention and may struggle with long-term goals in the game, such as completing the Pokedex or training a team of powerful Pokemon. However, they may excel in other areas, such as quickly adapting to new challenges or developing creative strategies. Overall, it is important to remember that each person with ADHD is unique and may have different experiences with Pokemon and video games in general.
affecting your relationships
pokemon and self-esteem
Pokemon can have a positive impact on self-esteem in several ways. First, catching and training Pokemon can provide a sense of accomplishment and mastery, which can boost self-confidence. As players progress through the game and overcome challenges, they may feel a sense of pride in their achievements.
Additionally, Pokemon can provide a sense of belonging and community. Playing the game with others who share the same interests can create a sense of camaraderie and validation. This can be especially important for individuals who may feel marginalized or alone in other areas of their life.
Finally, the positive and uplifting messages often found in the Pokemon games, such as the importance of friendship and teamwork, can reinforce positive values and beliefs about oneself.
Of course, it is important to note that self-esteem is a complex issue and should not be solely dependent on external factors such as video games. However, Pokemon can certainly be a positive influence on self-esteem for many individuals.
pokemon addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive engagement in any activity, including playing Pokemon, can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to playing Pokemon, they may spend excessive amounts of time playing the game, neglecting other important aspects of their life such as socializing with friends and family. This can lead to social isolation and feelings of loneliness.
Additionally, if the addiction becomes severe, it can affect a person’s mental health, leading to depression and anxiety, which can further exacerbate feelings of loneliness. Therefore, it is important to maintain a healthy balance and seek help if you or someone you know is struggling with addiction or feelings of loneliness.
Effects of pokemon on your relationship
- 1. Shared Interest: Playing Pokémon together can be a fun shared interest that can strengthen your relationship. It can lead to more quality time spent together and create a bonding experience.
- 2. Nostalgia: For many people, Pokémon is a nostalgic game that brings back memories from their childhood. Sharing this experience with your partner can create a sense of nostalgia and a shared history.
- 3. Communication: Playing Pokémon together can improve communication skills. It requires discussing strategies, sharing ideas, and working together towards a common goal.
- 1. Addiction: Pokémon can be addictive, and if one partner becomes too obsessed with the game, it can cause a strain on the relationship.
- 2. Time-consuming: Playing Pokémon can take up a lot of time, and if one partner spends too much time playing, it can lead to neglecting the relationship.
- 3. Competitive: Pokémon can be a competitive game, and if one partner takes it too seriously, it can lead to arguments and tension in the relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your pokemon Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to pokemon and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for pokemon?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your pokemon addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the pokemon addiction
If you or someone you know has a Pokémon addiction, there are a few steps that can be taken to get rid of it.
- 1. Understand why you’re addicted. This is the first and most important step. If you don’t know why you’re addicted, it’ll be very difficult to overcome the addiction.
- 2. Cut back on your Pokémon consumption. This may mean playing less, or stopping altogether.
- 3. Find a new hobby or activity to focus on. This will help take your mind off of Pokémon and give you something else to focus on.
- 4. Seek professional help if necessary. If you can’t seem to overcome your addiction on your own, professional help may be necessary.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including pokemon:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of pokemon
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your pokemon accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: