- What is the mobile games addiction?
- What is considered mobile games addiction?
- How much mobile games is too much?
- Some alarming mobile games addiction statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the mobile games addiction
- Symptoms & Signs of mobile games addiction
- Possible causes of mobile games dependency
- Why is mobile games so addictive?
- Problem, bad effects & consequences of mobile games
- creating general health problems
- affecting your brain & mental health
- affecting your relationships
- How to stop your mobile games addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the mobile games addiction
- Best mobile games blocker apps & software
- Best books to quit mobile games
- where to seek extra help?
Am I Addicted To mobile games?
Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions to Fortnite, Facebook, Instagram, porn, Netflix, Youtube, Tinder… (find them all here).
Today, let’s talk about the mobile games addiction.
About mobile games
A mobile game is a video game played on a feature phone, smartphone/tablet, smartwatch, PDA, portable media player or graphing calculator.
mobile games, a “real” addiction?
Officialy an addiction?
Let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes mobile games addiction?
There is no official diagnosis of “mobile games addiction,” but some experts believe that it may be classified as a type of impulse control disorder.
So what is the mobile games addiction?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it can vary from person to person. Some people may become addicted to mobile games because they provide a sense of escapism from everyday life, while others may become addicted due to the competitive nature of some games. Whatever the reason, addiction to mobile games can lead to negative consequences such as neglect of other important activities, social isolation, and financial problems.
What is considered mobile games addiction?
How much mobile games is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as it depends on the individual. Some people may find that spending an hour or two per day on mobile games is perfectly fine, while others may feel that this is too much time. It is generally advisable to strike a balance between playing mobile games and other activities, such as spending time with family and friends, studying, or working.
Some alarming mobile games addiction statistics
There is no definitive answer to this question as it is difficult to measure addiction to mobile games. However, some estimates suggest that around 5% of people who play mobile games may be addicted. This figure may be higher for certain groups, such as young people and those who play a lot of mobile games.
Symptoms & Causes of the mobile games addiction
Why is mobile games so addictive?
There are many reasons why people might find mobile games addictive. Some games are designed to be addictive, incorporating features that keep players hooked. Other games may be less intentionally addictive but still provide a dopamine rush that encourages continued play. Some people may be more susceptible to addiction than others, and mobile games can be a way to escape from real-world problems.
Possible causes of mobile games dependency
There is no one answer to this question as there can be many different reasons why someone might become addicted to playing mobile games. Some possible causes could include trying to escape from reality, filling a void in one’s life, or simply becoming addicted to the feeling of winning or being successful at something.
Additionally, mobile games can be very addictive due to their quick and easy gameplay which can often lead to people spending hours on their devices without even realizing it.
Signs & Symptoms of mobile games addiction
- 1. You can’t put your phone down – even when you’re sleeping, you’re still playing games on it.
- 2. You always have your phone in your hand, no matter what you’re doing.
- 3. You’ve missed important events because you were too busy playing games.
- 4. You get irritable or anxious when you can’t play your games.
- 5. You spend more money on in-game purchases than you’d like to admit.
- 6. You’ve considered quitting your job to play games full-time.
- 7. You can’t imagine life without mobile games.
Problem, consequences & bad effects of mobile games
What are some benefits of mobile games
There are many pros and advantages to mobile games. They are convenient, affordable, and offer a great way to pass the time. Mobile games are also a great way to stay connected with friends and family.
But at the opposite, what can be some mobile games addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Neck and back pain: Prolonged use of mobile devices can lead to neck and back pain.
- 2. Eye strain: Looking at a screen for extended periods of time can cause eye strain.
- 3. Headaches: Headaches are a common side effect of mobile game use.
- 4. Repetitive strain injuries: Repeating the same motions over and over can lead to repetitive strain injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
- 5. Sleep problems: The bright screens of mobile devices can interfere with sleep patterns, leading to insomnia and other sleep problems.
- 6. Anxiety and depression: Some people may develop anxiety or depression as a result of mobile game use.
affecting your brain & mental health
- 1. Mobile games can cause your brain to become less active.
- 2. Mobile games can cause you to become less focused.
- 3. Mobile games can cause you to become less social.
- 4. Mobile games can cause you to become more addicted.
Is mobile games bad for your mental health?
- 1. Mobile games can cause you to become addicted to your phone and neglect your real-life relationships.
- 2. Mobile games can cause you to become isolated and withdrawn from the people around you.
- 3. Mobile games can cause you to lose touch with reality and escape into a fantasy world.
- 4. Mobile games can cause you to become aggressive and violent.
- 5. Mobile games can cause you to neglect your personal hygiene and appearance.
affecting your relationship
When people play mobile games, it can have a positive effect on their relationships. The games can help people bond with their partners and friends, and they can also provide a way to relieve stress and tension. However, there are some potential downsides to consider. Mobile games can sometimes be addictive, and they can also lead to arguments and conflict if people get too competitive.
How To Stop Your mobile games Addiction
So you think you are addicted to mobile games and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for mobile games ?
Here are the best solutions, steps, ressources and help you can get to treat your mobile games addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the mobile games addiction
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to get rid of mobile games addiction may vary depending on the individual. However, some tips to get rid of mobile games addiction include setting limits on game time, making sure to take breaks from gaming, and avoiding playing during times when focus is needed for other tasks.
Additionally, it may be helpful to find other activities to do that can serve as a replacement for mobile gaming. That’s what most documentation outhere is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including mobile games:
1. Purge temptations
Cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your mobile games accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up:
Click here if you want to see more of the Digital Purge!
2. Spot & Reveal your emotional triggers
There are some reasons, often hidden ones, that your brain and your heart love so much mobile games. Those reasons act as triggers to pull your cravings. Rather than chasing the addiction, it’s a more efficient strategy to look at the feelings driving you toward it. That way you can cure and heal the feeling. You’ll feel better and the cravings will magically disapear.
3. Rewire to life
An addiction FOMO (fear of missing out) can be huge and really painful to resist, especally if it was here for a long time. However learning to live with it is necessary to build a life full of peace and joy. Strategies to fight FOMO and rewire to life include meditation, nature activities, social interraction, intellectual and creative projects, meaningful adventures… basicaly anything that fill your soul.
4. How to not relapse and fully recover?
It may takes days, weeks, months or even years. You may relapse a few times, but the most important is that you keep engaging less and less with mobile games. Each day you resist to it is a day weakening your brain connections with mobile games. From your patience and discipline will arise incredible mind strength, hope and wisdom.
Best mobile games blocker apps & functionnalities
Additionally, you can limit or block access to mobile games using those apps:
- 1. parental control app
- 2. app blocker
- 3. game addiction helper
- 4. game limiting app
- 5. game time management app
Best books around mobile games
- 1. “The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg
- 2. “The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get It” by Kelly McGonigal
- 3. “Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products” by Nir Eyal
- 4. “Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life” by Nir Eyal
- 5. “The Addiction Cure: Overcoming Any Addiction with Effective, Natural Treatments” by Charles Gant
where to seek extra help?
Do you need some support and help to stop and overcome your mobile games addiction? If you or someone you know is struggling with mobile games addiction, there are a few places to seek help.
First, check our course The Digital Purge. This course has already helped many digital addicts to rewire to what matter. But other options also exist.
There are a number of places to seek help for mobile games addiction. There are hotlines available, such as the National Problem Gambling Helpline, as well as online support groups and forums. Treatment centers specializing in gaming addiction are also available.
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution to overcoming mobile game addiction, but there are a few things you can try. First, set some limits for yourself. Decide how much time you’re going to allow yourself to play each day, and stick to it. Secondly, try to find other activities to fill your time. If you’re used to playing games for hours on end, you’ll need to find something else to do to occupy your time. Finally, talk to someone who can help you understand and overcome your addiction. Whether it’s a friend, family member, or therapist, talking to someone can help you get to the root of your addiction and find a way to overcome it.
To go further, please check our course The Digital Purge.