Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the just dance addiction.
- What’s the just dance addiction?
- Addiction to just dance, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered just dance addiction
- How much just dance is too much?
- Some Online entertainment addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the just dance addiction
- Why is just dance so addictive?
- Possible causes of just dance dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of just dance addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of just dance
- Some benefits of just dance
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your just dance addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the just dance addiction
- Best just dance blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with just dance addiction
- Best books about Online entertainment addiction
- Research about Online entertainment addiction
What is the just dance addiction?
About just dance
Just Dance is a video game series that involves players copying dance moves displayed on screen to popular songs. It is designed to be a fun and engaging way to exercise and dance along with friends or family.
Addiction to just dance, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes just dance addiction?
No, Just Dance addiction is not listed as a specific disorder in the DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition), which is the standard classification of mental health disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States. However, excessive gaming or internet use can be classified as internet gaming disorder or other specific substance or behavioral addictions. It is important to note that addiction to any activity or substance can have negative impacts on an individual’s mental and physical health.
So what means “just dance addiction”?
Just Dance addiction refers to the excessive and compulsive desire to play the video game Just Dance. People with this addiction may spend long hours playing the game, neglecting other responsibilities, and may experience withdrawal symptoms when they are unable to play. This addiction is not officially recognized by the medical community as a separate disorder, but it can have negative effects on an individual’s physical and mental health, as well as their social life and relationships.
What is considered just dance addiction?
Some warning signs that a person may be excessively playing Just Dance could include:
- 1. Spending excessive amounts of time playing the game, to the point of neglecting other responsibilities such as work, school, or relationships.
- 2. Losing interest in other hobbies or activities and only wanting to play Just Dance.
- 3. Feeling irritable or moody when prevented from playing the game.
- 4. Prioritizing playing Just Dance over basic needs such as eating, sleeping, or personal hygiene.
- 5. Spending excessive amounts of money on Just Dance-related merchandise, such as additional songs or dance mats.
- 6. Neglecting social interactions or relationships in favor of playing Just Dance.
- 7. Experiencing physical symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, or eye strain from playing the game for long periods of time.
It’s important to note that enjoying playing Just Dance is not inherently harmful or problematic. However, if someone’s love for the game begins to interfere with their daily life and responsibilities, it may be worth seeking help or support.
How much just dance is too much?
Spending too much time on any activity, including Just Dance, can have negative effects on a person’s physical and mental health. It is recommended to balance physical activity with other activities and to take breaks frequently to avoid overexertion and fatigue. Ultimately, the amount of time spent on Just Dance should depend on individual factors such as age, fitness level, and overall health.
Some Online entertainment addiction facts & statistics
Online entertainment addiction is a growing concern as more and more people spend their time on the internet for entertainment purposes. Here are some statistics related to online entertainment addiction:
1. According to a 2018 study by the Pew Research Center, 26% of adults in the United States say they are “almost constantly” online.
2. A 2019 survey by Common Sense Media found that 50% of teens feel addicted to their mobile devices.
3. A 2019 study published in the Journal of Behavioral Addictions found that 14% of college students in China were addicted to online entertainment.
4. A 2020 survey by the National Institute on Drug Abuse found that 10% of American adults had experienced internet addiction at some point in their lives.
5. A 2021 study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research found that social media use was associated with increased risk of depression and anxiety among young adults.
Overall, these statistics suggest that online entertainment addiction is a growing concern, especially among young people, and may have negative effects on mental health.
Is the just dance addiction widespread?
Just Dance is a popular video game that has a large fan base and a strong following among casual and serious gamers alike. It is possible that some individuals may become addicted to playing the game, as with any form of entertainment or activity. It is important for individuals to prioritize their health and wellbeing, and to maintain a balanced lifestyle that includes a variety of activities and interests.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of just dance addiction
Why is just dance so addictive?
There are several reasons why Just Dance is so addictive:
- 1. Catchy Music: Just Dance features popular songs with catchy beats and rhythms that make you want to move and dance along.
- 2. Fun Choreography: The dance routines are designed to be fun and easy to follow, which makes dancing along more enjoyable.
- 3. Competition: Just Dance allows you to compete with friends or online players, which adds a competitive element to the game and motivates you to improve your score.
- 4. Exercise: Just Dance is a form of exercise that is fun and enjoyable, which makes it easier to stick to a fitness routine.
- 5. Social Interaction: Just Dance can be played with friends and family, which makes it a fun activity to do together and strengthens social bonds.
Overall, Just Dance is addictive because it combines fun music, easy-to-follow choreography, competition, exercise, and social interaction, making it an enjoyable and engaging activity.
Possible causes of just dance dependency
The causes of Just Dance addiction can vary from person to person. Some possible causes may include:
- 1. Enjoyment of dancing: Just Dance is a fun and interactive way to dance to popular songs, which can be enjoyable and satisfying for some people.
- 2. Social connections: Just Dance can be played with friends or family, which can create a sense of camaraderie and social connection.
- 3. Competition: Just Dance has a scoring system that allows players to compete against each other, which can be a motivating factor for some individuals.
- 4. Stress relief: Dancing can be a form of stress relief and a way to escape from daily pressures.
- 5. Dopamine release: The game can stimulate the release of dopamine, a feel-good neurotransmitter, which can lead to feelings of pleasure and satisfaction.
It’s worth noting that while Just Dance can be a fun and healthy activity, excessive gameplay can lead to addiction and negative consequences. If you or someone you know is struggling with Just Dance addiction, seeking professional help may be necessary.
Signs & Symptoms of just dance addiction
Now let’s see if you have the just dance addiction problem.
- 1. You find yourself constantly singing the Just Dance songs even when you’re not playing the game.
- 2. You have memorized all the dance moves and can perform them even without the game.
- 3. You spend hours playing Just Dance and lose track of time.
- 4. You get excited every time a new Just Dance game is released.
- 5. You have a favorite Just Dance dancer or song and you always choose them when playing.
- 6. You have a group of friends who also love playing Just Dance and you often have dance parties.
- 7. You have purchased Just Dance merchandise, such as t-shirts or phone cases, to show your love for the game.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of just dance: should you quit?
What are some benefits of just dance
Just Dance is a popular video game that offers numerous benefits and advantages, including:
- 1. Fun and engaging: The game is designed to be enjoyable and entertaining, making it an excellent way to spend time with friends and family.
- 2. Exercise: Just Dance is a great way to get moving and burn calories without feeling like you are exercising.
- 3. Improves coordination: The game requires players to follow dance moves, which can improve coordination and balance.
- 4. Suitable for all ages: Just Dance is suitable for people of all ages, making it a perfect game for families to play together.
- 5. Offers variety: There are many different songs and dance styles to choose from, providing players with a wide range of options.
- 6. Multiplayer mode: Just Dance has a multiplayer mode, allowing players to compete against each other and making the game more social.
- 7. Easy to learn: The game is easy to learn, and players can quickly pick up the dance moves and start playing.
Overall, Just Dance is an excellent game that offers a fun and engaging way to exercise, improve coordination, and spend time with friends and family.But at the opposite, what can be some just dance addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Just Dance is a popular video game that involves dancing to various songs and routines. It can have several positive effects on your health including:
- 1. Improves cardiovascular health: Just Dance involves aerobic exercise which helps to improve your heart and lung health by increasing your heart rate and breathing.
- 2. Burns calories: Dancing is a form of physical activity that can help you burn calories and lose weight. Just Dance can be an enjoyable way to get moving and burn calories.
- 3. Boosts mood: Dancing is a fun activity that can boost your mood and reduce stress levels. Just Dance can also help to improve your confidence and self-esteem.
- 4. Enhances coordination and balance: Just Dance involves various dance routines that require coordination and balance. Regular playing can help improve these skills over time.
- 5. Improves flexibility and muscle strength: Dancing can help to improve your flexibility and muscle strength, particularly in your legs and core muscles.
Overall, Just Dance can be an enjoyable and effective way to improve your physical and mental health.
just dance and sleep disorder
It is highly unlikely that playing Just Dance would directly cause sleep disorders or problems. However, playing the game late at night and engaging in physical activity could increase your heart rate and make it more difficult to fall asleep immediately after playing. It is recommended to avoid playing video games or engaging in other stimulating activities at least an hour before bedtime to promote better sleep.
just dance affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of just dance on your brain
- 1. Risk of injury: Just Dance involves physical movements that require coordination and balance. If not performed correctly, these movements can lead to injuries, especially if you have pre-existing conditions.
- 2. Addiction: Like any other video game, Just Dance can be addictive. Spending too much time playing the game can lead to a lack of productivity, neglect of other responsibilities, and social isolation.
- 3. Overstimulation: The fast-paced music, flashing lights, and intense gameplay can be overstimulating for some individuals, leading to feelings of anxiety and stress.
- 4. Lack of cognitive stimulation: Although Just Dance requires physical movement, it may not provide enough cognitive stimulation. Playing the game may not challenge your brain in the same way that other activities, such as reading or solving puzzles, can.
- 5. Unrealistic body image expectations: Just Dance features dancers with idealized body types, which can contribute to unrealistic body image expectations and low self-esteem in some individuals.
Some effects of just dance on your mental health
Just Dance is generally considered a fun and engaging way to exercise and improve physical health. However, there are potential negative effects on mental health that could occur in certain situations. Here are a few possible examples:
1. Obsessive behavior: Some individuals may become overly obsessed with the game and spend excessive amounts of time playing it. This could lead to neglect of other areas of life, such as social relationships, work, or self-care.
2. Negative self-image: If a person is particularly self-conscious about their physical appearance or dancing abilities, playing Just Dance could potentially worsen their negative self-image. This could lead to feelings of inadequacy or low self-esteem.
3. Comparison and competition: The game features leaderboards and scores that encourage players to compete against each other. For some individuals, this could lead to feelings of inadequacy or anxiety if they are not performing as well as others.
Overall, while Just Dance is generally considered a fun and harmless activity, individuals should be mindful of their own mental health and well-being while playing. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between physical activity, social relationships, work, and other areas of life.
Does just dance cause stress and anxiety?
No, Just Dance is a form of physical exercise and can actually help reduce stress and anxiety by releasing endorphins and promoting relaxation. However, if a person has performance anxiety or social anxiety related to dancing in front of others, playing Just Dance in a group setting may cause stress or anxiety.
Can just dance addiction lead to sadness and depression?
It is not common for just dance addiction to lead to sadness and depression. However, if a person becomes excessively obsessed with playing just dance and neglects other important aspects of their life such as work, relationships, and self-care, it can lead to feelings of guilt, anxiety, and sadness.
Additionally, if a person uses just dance as a coping mechanism for underlying emotional issues, it may not provide a long-term solution and can contribute to feelings of depression. It is important to maintain a balance in life and seek help if necessary.
Dopamine and just dance
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in reward-motivated behavior and is released in response to pleasurable experiences. Just Dance is a video game that involves dancing to popular songs and encourages physical activity. Research has shown that physical activity can increase dopamine levels in the brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and reward. Therefore, playing Just Dance can potentially increase dopamine release and contribute to a positive emotional response.
just dance effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Research has shown that physical activity can have a positive impact on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. Just Dance involves physical movement and can therefore contribute to these benefits. A study published in the Journal of Educational Psychology found that children who participated in daily physical activity showed improved cognitive performance, including attention and memory. Another study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health found that physical activity, including dancing, can improve academic performance in children and adolescents. However, it is important to note that the effects of Just Dance on these areas may vary depending on the individual and other factors such as frequency and duration of gameplay.
A word about ADHD and just dance
It is possible that people with ADHD may interact differently with Just Dance due to their hyperactivity and impulsivity. They may be more prone to moving quickly and spontaneously, making it easier for them to keep up with the fast-paced dance movements in the game. However, they may also struggle with sustained attention and focus, which could make it more challenging for them to follow the choreography and stay engaged in the game for extended periods of time.
Additionally, the high sensory input and stimulation provided by the game may be overwhelming for some individuals with ADHD. Overall, the experience may vary depending on the individual and their specific symptoms and coping strategies.
affecting your relationships
just dance and self-esteem
Just Dance can have a positive impact on self-esteem in several ways:
- 1. Encourages physical activity: Just Dance is a fun and engaging way to get moving, which can lead to improved physical health and fitness. This, in turn, can boost self-esteem by helping individuals feel better about their bodies and abilities.
- 2. Boosts mood: Dancing has been shown to release endorphins, which are feel-good hormones that can help improve mood and reduce stress and anxiety. By promoting positivity and happiness, Just Dance can help individuals feel better about themselves and their lives.
- 3. Provides a sense of accomplishment: Just Dance is a game that rewards players for their performance, which can give individuals a sense of achievement and pride. By mastering new dance moves and improving their scores, players can feel a sense of accomplishment that can improve their self-esteem.
- 4. Fosters social connections: Just Dance can be played alone or with friends and family, providing an opportunity for social interaction and connection. This can help individuals feel a sense of belonging and acceptance, which can also boost self-esteem.
just dance addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
It is possible for excessive involvement in any activity, including Just Dance, to lead to isolation and loneliness. If someone becomes so addicted to playing Just Dance that they begin to neglect their social relationships, stop participating in other activities, and spend most of their time alone playing the game, it can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation.
Additionally, if someone becomes so focused on improving their performance in the game that they ignore other aspects of their life, such as work or school, it could also lead to social isolation and loneliness. However, it is important to note that not everyone who plays Just Dance will develop an addiction, and those who do can seek help and support to overcome it.
Effects of just dance on your relationship
- 1. Improved communication: Just Dance requires coordination and communication between partners, which can improve communication skills between couples.
- 2. Increased physical intimacy: Dancing together can increase physical intimacy and improve the bond between partners.
- 3. Enhanced fun and enjoyment: Just Dance is an enjoyable and entertaining activity that can add fun and excitement to a relationship, helping couples bond over shared interests.
- 4. Boost in confidence: Dancing can boost self-esteem and confidence, which can translate into improved confidence in other areas of life, including relationships.
- 1. Frustration and tension: If one partner is not as skilled at dancing as the other, it can create frustration and tension in the relationship.
- 2. Competition: Just Dance can become competitive, which may negatively impact the relationship if one partner becomes overly competitive or critical.
- 3. Time-consuming: Spending too much time playing Just Dance can lead to neglect of other important aspects of the relationship, such as communication and quality time together.
- 4. Limited physical activity: Just Dance is a fun and enjoyable activity, but it may not provide enough physical activity for couples who are looking for more intense workouts or outdoor activities.
How To Stop & quit Your just dance Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to just dance and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for just dance?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your just dance addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the just dance addiction
If you or someone you know is struggling with an addiction to Just Dance or any other activity, it is important to seek professional help from a healthcare provider or addiction specialist. They can provide a personalized treatment plan that may include therapy, support groups, and medication if necessary.
Additionally, some general steps that may help with addiction include identifying triggers and avoiding them, establishing a support system, setting boundaries, practicing self-care, and seeking help when needed.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including just dance:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of just dance
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your just dance accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: