Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the homescapes addiction.
- What’s the homescapes addiction?
- Addiction to homescapes, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered homescapes addiction
- How much homescapes is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the homescapes addiction
- Why is homescapes so addictive?
- Possible causes of homescapes dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of homescapes addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of homescapes
- Some benefits of homescapes
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your homescapes addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the homescapes addiction
- Best homescapes blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with homescapes addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the homescapes addiction?
Homescapes is a mobile puzzle game where players help the main character, Austin, renovate and decorate his childhood home by solving match-3 puzzles and earning coins to purchase furniture and decorations.
Addiction to homescapes, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes homescapes addiction?
No, Homescapes addiction is not listed in the DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition) which is the standard classification of mental disorders used by mental health professionals in the United States. The DSM-5 does include a diagnosis for gambling disorder, which may be relevant to some individuals who struggle with excessive gaming or spending money on mobile games like Homescapes, but a specific diagnosis for Homescapes addiction is not included.
So what means “homescapes addiction”?
Homescapes addiction refers to a compulsive habit of playing the mobile game Homescapes for an extended period. In this game, the player has to renovate and decorate a house by solving puzzles and earning coins. The game is designed to be addictive through its colorful graphics, engaging storyline, and challenging gameplay. Many players find themselves spending hours on the game, neglecting other activities and responsibilities, and feeling a strong urge to keep playing. This type of addiction can lead to negative consequences such as loss of productivity, social isolation, and even financial problems if the player spends money on in-game purchases.
What is considered homescapes addiction?
While it is not a recognized medical or psychological disorder, some signs that may indicate a Homescapes addiction include:
- 1. Spending excessive amounts of time playing Homescapes, to the point of neglecting other responsibilities or activities.
- 2. Feeling a strong urge to play Homescapes and becoming irritable or anxious if unable to do so.
- 3. Spending money on in-game purchases or becoming preoccupied with obtaining in-game currency.
- 4. Neglecting personal hygiene, sleep, or social activities in favor of playing Homescapes.
- 5. Continuing to play Homescapes despite negative consequences, such as poor academic or work performance, relationship problems, or financial difficulties.
- 6. Becoming defensive or secretive about Homescapes use and hiding it from others.
It is important to note that not all individuals who play Homescapes exhibit addictive behaviors, and a diagnosis of addiction should be made by a qualified healthcare professional.
How much homescapes is too much?
Excessive time spent on any activity, including mobile games, can have negative impacts on one’s physical and mental health, relationships, and daily responsibilities. It is important to prioritize and balance your time between various activities and responsibilities.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the homescapes addiction widespread?
It is difficult to determine exactly how many people are addicted to Homescapes, as addiction is a complex issue and can manifest in different ways for different individuals. However, Homescapes has been a popular mobile game since its release in 2017, and it has consistently ranked among the top-grossing games on app stores. The game’s addictive nature, with its satisfying gameplay and constant updates and challenges, may contribute to some players feeling a compulsion to keep playing. It’s important for individuals to be mindful of their gaming habits and seek help if they feel like their gaming is negatively impacting their daily lives.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of homescapes addiction
Why is homescapes so addictive?
Homescapes is a highly addictive game because of several reasons:
- 1. Engaging gameplay: The game offers a unique and engaging gameplay experience that keeps players hooked. Players get to renovate and decorate a mansion and complete various puzzle challenges to progress through the game.
- 2. Challenging levels: The levels become increasingly challenging as the player progresses through the game. This keeps the player engaged and motivated to complete the levels.
- 3. Rewards system: The game has a rewards system that incentivizes players to keep playing. Players earn coins and stars for completing levels, which they can use to buy new furniture and decorations for the mansion.
- 4. Social aspect: The game has a social aspect that allows players to connect with friends and compete with them in weekly tournaments. This adds a competitive element to the game and keeps players engaged.
Overall, Homescapes is addictive because it offers a unique gameplay experience, challenging levels, rewards system, and social aspect that keeps players engaged and motivated to continue playing.
Possible causes of homescapes dependency
Homescapes addiction can be caused by various factors, including:
- 1. Reward system: Homescapes, like many other mobile games, has a reward system that provides players with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. The more players progress in the game, the more rewards they receive, which can create a sense of addiction.
- 2. Social pressure: Homescapes is a social game, and players can connect with friends and family members to play together. Players may feel pressure to keep playing to avoid disappointing their friends or falling behind in the game.
- 3. Escapism: Homescapes provides players with an escape from reality, allowing them to immerse themselves in a virtual world and forget about their problems. This can be particularly appealing to individuals who are experiencing stress or anxiety.
- 4. Psychological factors: Some individuals may be more susceptible to addiction due to underlying psychological factors, such as depression or anxiety.
Overall, the causes of Homescapes addiction can be multifaceted and complex, and may vary from person to person.
Signs & Symptoms of homescapes addiction
Now let’s see if you have the homescapes addiction problem.
- 1. You play Homescapes for hours on end, often losing track of time.
- 2. You find yourself thinking about the game even when you’re not playing it.
- 3. You prioritize playing Homescapes over other activities or responsibilities.
- 4. You spend real money on in-game purchases to advance further in the game.
- 5. You get frustrated or upset when you can’t beat a level or progress in the game.
- 6. You have multiple accounts or play on different devices to maximize gameplay.
- 7. You constantly check for updates or new levels and get excited when they are released.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of homescapes: should you quit?
What are some benefits of homescapes
- 1. Engaging gameplay: Homescapes offers a unique blend of match-3 puzzle gameplay and home renovation simulation, making it engaging and addictive.
- 2. Beautiful graphics: The game features stunning graphics and animations that add to the overall gaming experience.
- 3. Customizable decorations: Players get to choose from a wide range of decor options to personalize their homes and make them look unique.
- 4. Interesting storyline: The game features an intriguing storyline that keeps players engaged and interested in progressing through the levels.
- 5. Regular updates: Homescapes is regularly updated with new levels, challenges, and content, ensuring that players always have something new to look forward to.
- 6. Free to play: The game is free to download and play, with an option to make in-app purchases for additional features.
Overall, Homescapes is a great game for those who enjoy puzzle games and home renovation simulations.But at the opposite, what can be some homescapes addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Playing Homescapes, like any other video game, can have both positive and negative effects on a person’s health.
Positive effects may include:
- 1. Stress relief: Playing Homescapes can provide a temporary escape from the stresses of everyday life and offer a relaxing distraction.
- 2. Improved cognitive function: Homescapes requires problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which can improve cognitive function and enhance brain activity.
- 3. Social interaction: Homescapes can be played with friends and family, providing an opportunity for social interaction and bonding.
Negative effects may include:
- 1. Sedentary lifestyle: Playing Homescapes for extended periods of time can lead to a sedentary lifestyle, which can contribute to obesity and other health issues.
- 2. Eye strain: Staring at a screen for long periods can cause eye strain and headaches.
- 3. Addiction: Homescapes, like any other video game, can become addictive and lead to compulsive behavior and neglect of other responsibilities.
homescapes and sleep disorder
It is unlikely that playing Homescapes alone would cause sleep disorders or problems. However, excessive screen time before bedtime can disrupt sleep patterns and make it difficult to fall asleep. It is important to limit screen time before bed and establish a consistent bedtime routine to promote healthy sleep.
Additionally, if playing Homescapes is causing stress or anxiety, this may also affect sleep quality. It is important to practice self-care and take breaks as needed to manage stress levels.
homescapes affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of homescapes on your brain
- 1. Addiction: Homescapes is designed to be addictive, and players can easily get hooked on the game. This can lead to spending excessive amounts of time playing the game, which can interfere with work, school, and other important activities.
- 2. Decreased attention span: The constant stimulation and instant gratification of Homescapes can lead to a decrease in attention span, making it harder to focus on other tasks that require sustained attention.
- 3. Impaired decision-making skills: The game requires players to make quick decisions, and this can lead to a pattern of impulsive decision making that can impact other areas of life.
- 4. Increased stress: While playing Homescapes can be a stress reliever, it can also be a source of stress if the player becomes too invested in the game and feels pressure to succeed.
- 5. Sleep disturbances: Playing Homescapes late at night can interfere with sleep patterns, leading to daytime fatigue and reduced productivity.
It’s important to remember that everyone’s experience with Homescapes will be different, and not all players will experience these negative effects. However, it’s always a good idea to be mindful of how much time you’re spending playing the game and to take breaks if necessary.
Some effects of homescapes on your mental health
It is important to note that the effects of Homescapes on mental health may vary from person to person. However, here are a few potential negative impacts:
- 1. Addiction: Like any other game, Homescapes can be addictive. You may find yourself spending hours playing the game, which can lead to neglecting other important aspects of your life.
- 2. Stress: The pressure to complete tasks and challenges within a limited time can create stress and anxiety, especially if you are struggling to progress to higher levels.
- 3. Frustration: Homescapes can be frustrating if you are unable to complete certain levels or challenges. This can lead to feelings of anger, irritation, and disappointment.
- 4. Sleep Disturbances: Playing Homescapes for prolonged periods can disrupt your sleep schedule, which can lead to sleep deprivation and other related health problems.
- 5. Social Isolation: Spending too much time playing Homescapes can lead to social isolation and may cause you to neglect your relationships with family and friends.
In summary, while Homescapes can be a fun and enjoyable game, it is important to play in moderation and be aware of the potential negative impacts on your mental health.
Does homescapes cause stress and anxiety?
It is possible for Homescapes or any video game to cause stress or anxiety if played excessively or if the player becomes too invested in the game.
Additionally, if the player feels frustrated or overwhelmed by the challenges presented in the game, it could also lead to stress or anxiety. It’s important for players to take breaks and not let the game consume their thoughts and emotions. It’s also important to seek help if the stress or anxiety becomes overwhelming and affects daily life.
Can homescapes addiction lead to sadness and depression?
It is possible for excessive playing of Homescapes, or any other video game, to lead to sadness and depression. Addiction to video games can interfere with daily life activities, relationships, and other responsibilities, leading to feelings of guilt, shame, and hopelessness.
Additionally, the constant stimulation and dopamine release from playing the game can create an unhealthy reliance on the game for happiness and fulfillment, leading to a decrease in overall mood and well-being when not playing. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and prioritize self-care to prevent the negative effects of video game addiction.
Dopamine and homescapes
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in the brain’s reward system and is associated with feelings of pleasure and motivation. Homescapes is a popular mobile puzzle game that allows players to renovate a virtual home and progress through various levels. The game’s design and mechanics are intended to activate the brain’s reward system, triggering the release of dopamine and generating feelings of satisfaction and achievement. This can create a sense of addiction or compulsion to continue playing, as the brain seeks out the pleasurable experiences associated with the game.
homescapes effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Yes, playing Homescapes can potentially affect focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance, especially if played excessively or during study or work hours. As a game that requires problem-solving and critical thinking, playing Homescapes for short periods of time can actually improve cognitive function and mental agility. However, if played for extended periods, it may lead to procrastination, distraction, and reduced productivity. Furthermore, if played right before or during study or work hours, it may interfere with one’s ability to concentrate and retain information, negatively impacting academic or work performance. It is important to maintain a balance between leisure activities such as gaming and other important responsibilities.
A word about ADHD and homescapes
There is no definitive answer to how people with ADHD may interact with the mobile game Homescapes, as everyone with ADHD may have different levels of attention, focus, and interest in gaming. Some people with ADHD may find Homescapes engaging and stimulating, while others may struggle with the repetitive nature of the gameplay or get easily distracted by other stimuli.
Research suggests that individuals with ADHD may be more likely to engage in impulsive and reward-seeking behaviors, which could potentially lead to excessive or compulsive gaming. However, it is important to note that gaming can be a positive and enjoyable activity for people with ADHD, as it can provide a sense of achievement, social interaction, and stress relief.
Overall, the way people with ADHD interact with Homescapes may depend on their individual preferences, strengths, and challenges related to attention and impulsivity. It is always recommended to use gaming in moderation and to prioritize other activities that promote mental and physical well-being.
affecting your relationships
homescapes and self-esteem
Homescapes is a mobile game that involves renovating and decorating a virtual home. Playing this game can have a positive impact on self-esteem in several ways:
- 1. Sense of accomplishment: As players progress through the game and complete renovation tasks, they experience a sense of accomplishment. This can boost their self-esteem and confidence as they feel a sense of pride in their achievements.
- 2. Creative expression: Homescapes allows players to express their creativity by designing their own virtual home. This can help boost self-esteem as players feel a sense of pride and ownership over their creation.
- 3. Problem-solving skills: The game presents various challenges and obstacles that players need to overcome to progress. Successfully solving these challenges can boost self-esteem as players feel a sense of competence and mastery.
- 4. Social connection: Homescapes allows players to connect with other players, share their designs, and receive feedback. This social connection can help boost self-esteem as players feel a sense of belonging and validation from others.
Overall, playing Homescapes can have a positive impact on self-esteem by providing a sense of accomplishment, creative expression, problem-solving skills, and social connection.
homescapes addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, Homescapes addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to a mobile game like Homescapes, they may spend more and more time playing the game and less time engaging with friends and family members. Over time, this can lead to social isolation and loneliness.
Additionally, the addictive nature of the game can make it difficult for someone to break away from it and engage in other activities that could help them combat feelings of loneliness. Therefore, it is important to maintain a healthy balance and avoid excessive use of mobile games like Homescapes.
Effects of homescapes on your relationship
- 1. Homescapes can be a fun and engaging activity that couples can enjoy together. It can provide an opportunity for bonding and shared experiences.
- 2. Playing Homescapes together can help couples develop teamwork skills and encourage them to work together towards a common goal.
- 3. The game can be a stress-relieving activity for couples. It can provide a break from everyday life and give them a chance to relax and unwind together.
- 4. Homescapes can be a way for couples to learn more about each other’s interests and preferences. They can discuss the design choices they make in the game and learn more about each other’s style and taste.
- 1. Homescapes can be addictive, and if one partner becomes overly obsessed with the game, it can lead to neglecting their relationship and spending less time with their partner.
- 2. If one partner is more skilled or competitive in the game, it can lead to feelings of frustration and resentment in the other partner.
- 3. Playing Homescapes can become a source of conflict if couples have different design preferences or disagree on how to spend in-game currency.
- 4. Spending too much time playing Homescapes can lead to a lack of communication and connection between partners, which can harm the overall relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your homescapes Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to homescapes and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for homescapes?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your homescapes addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the homescapes addiction
- 1. Acknowledge and accept the addiction: The first step is to acknowledge that you have an addiction and accept it. Denial can make it difficult to overcome the addiction.
- 2. Identify triggers: Identify the triggers that lead to playing Homescapes excessively. It could be boredom, stress, or any other reason.
- 3. Set limits: Set limits on the amount of time and money you spend playing Homescapes. This can help you control your addiction.
- 4. Find alternative activities: Find alternative activities that can replace playing Homescapes. This could be anything from exercising, reading, or spending time with loved ones.
- 5. Seek professional help: If the addiction is severe, seeking professional help from a therapist or addiction specialist can be beneficial.
- 6. Join a support group: Joining a support group can help you connect with others who are going through similar struggles and provide a sense of community and accountability.
Remember that overcoming addiction is a process that requires patience and perseverance.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including homescapes:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of homescapes
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your homescapes accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: