Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the hearthstone addiction.
- What’s the hearthstone addiction?
- Addiction to hearthstone, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered hearthstone addiction
- How much hearthstone is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the hearthstone addiction
- Why is hearthstone so addictive?
- Possible causes of hearthstone dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of hearthstone addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of hearthstone
- Some benefits of hearthstone
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your hearthstone addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the hearthstone addiction
- Best hearthstone blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with hearthstone addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the hearthstone addiction?
Hearthstone is a digital card game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. Players collect cards and build decks to battle against each other in head-to-head matches.
Addiction to hearthstone, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes hearthstone addiction?
No, Hearthstone addiction is not listed in the DSM-5.
So what means “hearthstone addiction”?
Hearthstone addiction is an addiction to the digital card game Hearthstone, which is a free-to-play game available on multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. It is a strategy-based card game with a fantasy theme and requires players to build decks of cards to battle other players or computer-controlled characters. The game is highly addictive, with players spending hours playing and mastering the game, leading to an inability to stop playing.
What is considered hearthstone addiction?
- 1. Spending more time playing Hearthstone than engaging in other activities, such as socializing or hobbies.
- 2. Becoming preoccupied with Hearthstone and obsessing over strategies and outcomes.
- 3. Exhibiting signs of irritability when unable to play Hearthstone or engaging in Hearthstone-related activities.
- 4. Neglecting responsibilities, such as work, school, or family obligations, in order to play Hearthstone.
- 5. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety or restlessness, when not playing Hearthstone.
- 6. Prioritizing Hearthstone over other activities, including spending time with friends and family.
- 7. Losing interest in hobbies or activities that were once enjoyable.
- 8. Becoming secretive or defensive when questioned about Hearthstone-related activities.
- 9. Feeling compelled to continue playing even when the game has become unenjoyable or even unpleasant.
- 10. Feeling guilty or ashamed about the amount of time spent playing Hearthstone.
How much hearthstone is too much?
That depends on the individual, but generally speaking, if you find yourself spending more time playing Hearthstone than engaging in other activities, it may be too much. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance between gaming and other activities to stay healthy, both mentally and physically.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the hearthstone addiction widespread?
Hearthstone is a popular online digital collectible card game with a large player base, and like many online games, there are players who may become addicted to playing it. The game’s design, reward system, and social features can contribute to a player’s desire to keep playing and potentially become addicted. It’s important for players to monitor their own playing habits and seek help if they feel they may have an addiction.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of hearthstone addiction
Why is hearthstone so addictive?
Hearthstone is an incredibly fun and engaging game. It has a wide variety of cards, strategies and decks to choose from, so no two games will ever be the same. The game also has a very easy learning curve, making it accessible to all types of players, from casual to competitive.
Additionally, the game is constantly being updated with new content, giving players something new to explore and master. Finally, Hearthstone has an active and vibrant community, giving players endless opportunities to chat, share strategies and make new friends. All of these factors combined make Hearthstone an engaging and addictive game.
Possible causes of hearthstone dependency
- 1. Engaging Gameplay: Hearthstone is an incredibly engaging and rewarding game that keeps players coming back for more. The game is easy to pick up, but hard to master, which can be very rewarding for players who are able to progress and improve their skills.
- 2. Attractive Visuals: Hearthstone has beautiful visuals and animations that draw players in and make the game enjoyable to play.
- 3. Social Interaction: Hearthstone is a game that can be played with friends, either online or in person. This element of the game makes it even more enjoyable, as players can interact with their friends and compete against one another.
- 4. Regular Updates: Blizzard, the developers of Hearthstone, regularly release updates for the game, which keeps players engaged and excited about the game’s content.
- 5. Variety of Game Modes: Hearthstone offers a variety of different game modes, from ranked play to arena, which keeps players interested and engaged.
Signs & Symptoms of hearthstone addiction
Now let’s see if you have the hearthstone addiction problem.
- 1. You think about Hearthstone in your spare time.
- 2. You have a regular Hearthstone game night with your friends.
- 3. You spend more time playing Hearthstone than anything else.
- 4. You know all the card names and their effects.
- 5. You have tried out every single class.
- 6. You get excited when you get to play a new deck.
- 7. You are constantly trying to improve your skills and win more games.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of hearthstone: should you quit?
What are some benefits of hearthstone
Pros of Hearthstone:
- 1. Easy to learn: Hearthstone has a simple and intuitive control system that is easy to learn and understand. The game also features tutorials and a well-designed tutorial system to help new players grasp the basics of the game quickly.
- 2. Strategic Depth: Despite its simplicity, Hearthstone is incredibly deep in terms of strategy. With a wide range of cards, mechanics, and strategies, the game is full of potential strategies and decks that can be used to gain an edge over your opponents.
- 3. Replayability: With its constantly changing metagame and the addition of new cards in every expansion, Hearthstone provides players with countless possibilities and strategies to find the best deck and build.
- 4. Competitive Scene: Hearthstone has a strong competitive scene, with tournaments and leagues around the world. The game is also featured in the ESL Pro Tour, where players can compete for large prize pools.
- 5. Social Aspect: Hearthstone is a great social game as well, as players can challenge each other and discuss strategies with friends. The game also features a spectator mode and replays, which allow players to watch top players and learn from them.
Overall, Hearthstone has a lot to offer, from its easy to learn gameplay and strategic depth to its large competitive scene and social aspect. With its constantly changing metagame and new cards, it provides a great way for players to stay sharp and have fun.But at the opposite, what can be some hearthstone addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Stress Relief: Hearthstone can provide a great way to reduce stress. Playing a game of Hearthstone can help you to relax and take your mind off of difficult situations. This can help to improve your overall mental health.
- 2. Cognitive Benefits: Hearthstone can also help to improve cognitive function. Playing a game of Hearthstone requires strategizing, planning, and problem solving. This can help to keep your mind sharp and improve your overall cognitive abilities.
- 3. Social Interaction: Hearthstone also provides an opportunity for social interaction. Playing with friends or even strangers can help to improve your social skills and build relationships. This can help to reduce social anxiety and improve your overall mental health.
- 4. Improved Motor Skills: Playing Hearthstone can also help to improve motor skills. The game requires quick reactions and decision making which can help to improve your hand-eye coordination.
- 5. Exercise: Playing Hearthstone can also be a form of exercise. The game requires you to sit in one spot and move around the board. This can help to improve your posture and give you a light workout.
hearthstone and sleep disorder
Playing video games, including Hearthstone, before bed may disrupt your sleep patterns and make it more difficult to fall asleep. The blue light emitted by electronic screens can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep. This can make it harder to fall asleep and may affect the quality of your sleep.
Additionally, playing video games can be stimulating and make it harder for your brain to relax and wind down before bed. It’s important to practice good sleep hygiene by avoiding electronic screens for at least an hour before bed and creating a relaxing bedtime routine to improve your chances of getting a good night’s sleep.
hearthstone affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of hearthstone on your brain
- 1. Addiction: Hearthstone is an extremely addictive game that can lead to unhealthy levels of play, which can have a negative effect on your brain.
- 2. Lack of Focus: The fast-paced nature of Hearthstone can lead to a lack of focus on other important tasks in life.
- 3. Stress: While the game is meant to be fun and entertaining, it can become quite stressful when you are trying to win. This can lead to anxiety and depression.
- 4. Memory: Hearthstone can take up a lot of your time, which can lead to other key memories and tasks being forgotten.
- 5. Social Interaction: Spending too much time playing Hearthstone can lead to a lack of social interaction and meaningful relationships.
Some effects of hearthstone on your mental health
- 1. Increased Stress: Playing Hearthstone can be incredibly stressful, especially when playing in competitive tournaments or laddering up the ranks. This stress can lead to anxiety, depression, and even physical health issues.
- 2. Increased Aggression: Hearthstone can also lead to increased aggression, as players become more and more invested in the game. This aggression can manifest itself in verbal outbursts, physical violence, and other unhealthy behavior.
- 3. Social Isolation: Playing Hearthstone can also lead to social isolation, as players spend more time in their virtual world and less time with real people. This can lead to loneliness and depression, as well as impacting other aspects of life such as work and family.
- 4. Addiction: Hearthstone can also be highly addictive, leading to players spending excessive amounts of time and money. This can lead to financial and emotional distress, as well as impacting relationships with loved ones.
Does hearthstone cause stress and anxiety?
It is possible that playing Hearthstone could cause stress or anxiety in some individuals, especially if they become overly competitive or feel pressured to perform well in the game.
Additionally, the RNG (random number generator) element of the game can cause frustration and disappointment if luck is not on the player’s side. It is important for individuals to monitor their own feelings while playing the game and take breaks if necessary to avoid excessive stress or anxiety. If someone is experiencing severe stress or anxiety related to playing Hearthstone or any other activity, they should seek professional help from a healthcare provider.
Can hearthstone addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, Hearthstone addiction can lead to sadness and depression. Hearthstone is an online card game that can be very addictive due to its competitive nature and the desire to improve one’s skills and rank. Spending extended periods playing the game can lead to neglecting other important aspects of life such as socializing, work, and family time. This can result in feelings of loneliness, isolation, and disconnection from others, leading to sadness and depression.
Additionally, the pressure to perform well and the disappointment of losing can also negatively impact mental health. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between playing the game and other important aspects of life to avoid addiction and negative mental health consequences.
Dopamine and hearthstone
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is released in the brain when we experience pleasure or reward. Hearthstone is a digital collectible card game that can be very rewarding and engaging for players.
Playing Hearthstone can trigger the release of dopamine in the brain, as players experience the excitement of winning matches, earning rewards, and progressing through the game’s various modes and challenges.
However, it is important to note that excessive or addictive gaming can lead to negative consequences and should be balanced with other activities and responsibilities in life.
hearthstone effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Hearthstone, like any video game, can have both positive and negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance depending on how it is played and the individual’s habits and preferences.
On the positive side, playing Hearthstone can improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, and strategic thinking. It can also provide a break from work or studying, which can help relieve stress and improve overall productivity.
On the negative side, playing Hearthstone for extended periods can lead to distraction and decreased attention span, which can negatively impact academic performance.
Additionally, if played excessively, it can lead to addiction, which can have negative effects on mental health and wellbeing.
Overall, the impact of Hearthstone on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance will depend on how it is played and the individual’s habits and preferences. It is important to maintain a balance and not let gaming take over important aspects of life such as school, work, and social relationships.
A word about ADHD and hearthstone
There is limited research on how people with ADHD specifically interact with Hearthstone. However, people with ADHD may experience difficulties with attention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity, which could potentially impact their gameplay in Hearthstone.
For example, individuals with ADHD may struggle with maintaining focus during longer games or may struggle with making impulsive decisions during gameplay. On the other hand, individuals with ADHD may also exhibit creativity and spontaneity, which could potentially benefit their gameplay strategies.
Overall, the impact of ADHD on gameplay in Hearthstone may vary from person to person and may depend on the severity of their symptoms and individual coping strategies.
affecting your relationships
hearthstone and self-esteem
Hearthstone can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem. On the positive side, winning matches and climbing the ranks can provide a sense of accomplishment and boost self-confidence.
Additionally, mastering new decks and strategies can also increase feelings of competence and mastery.
On the negative side, losing matches or being stuck at a certain rank can lead to feelings of frustration, disappointment, and self-doubt. Players may also compare themselves to others who are more successful in the game, leading to feelings of inferiority.
Overall, the impact of Hearthstone on self-esteem will vary from person to person and depends on various factors such as personality, motivation, and coping strategies. It is important to approach the game with a healthy mindset and not let it overly affect one’s self-worth.
hearthstone addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive or addictive gaming, including Hearthstone, can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to a game, they may spend significant amounts of time playing it, which can cause them to withdraw from social activities and relationships. They may also prioritize gaming over other responsibilities, such as work, school, or family obligations, which can lead to further isolation and loneliness.
Additionally, gaming addiction can cause physical health problems, such as poor sleep quality and sedentary behavior, which can also contribute to feelings of loneliness and social disconnection.
Effects of hearthstone on your relationship
- 1. Shared interest: Playing Hearthstone together can be a great way to share a common interest and bond over something you both enjoy.
- 2. Fun activity: Hearthstone can be a fun and engaging activity that can bring excitement and enjoyment to your relationship.
- 3. Increased communication: Playing Hearthstone together can encourage communication and teamwork, which can help strengthen your relationship.
- 4. Stress relief: Playing Hearthstone together can be a great way to relieve stress and unwind after a long day.
- 1. Addiction: Hearthstone can be addictive, and if one partner becomes too consumed with the game, it can lead to neglect of the relationship.
- 2. Time-consuming: Hearthstone requires time and attention, and if one partner spends too much time playing the game, it can take away from quality time spent together.
- 3. Conflict: Hearthstone can be competitive, and if one partner becomes overly competitive or aggressive during gameplay, it can lead to conflict in the relationship.
- 4. Neglect of responsibilities: If one partner becomes too focused on playing Hearthstone, they may neglect important responsibilities such as work, household duties, or childcare.
How To Stop & quit Your hearthstone Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to hearthstone and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for hearthstone?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your hearthstone addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the hearthstone addiction
- 1. Recognize that you have an addiction. It’s important to understand that you are not alone and that addiction is a real problem that needs to be addressed.
- 2. Reach out for help. Speak to a friend or family member about your addiction and take advantage of the resources available for those struggling with hearthstone addiction.
- 3. Develop a plan to quit. Make a plan to slowly reduce the amount of time you spend playing hearthstone, allowing yourself to slowly adjust to the change.
- 4. Seek out alternatives. Make an effort to find activities or hobbies to replace hearthstone, such as sports, art, or reading.
- 5. Monitor your progress. Track the amount of time you spend playing hearthstone and make sure you are sticking to your plan to quit.
- 6. Reach out for professional help. If your addiction is too strong, reach out to a professional for help.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including hearthstone:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of hearthstone
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your hearthstone accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: