Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the hay day addiction.
- What’s the hay day addiction?
- Addiction to hay day, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered hay day addiction
- How much hay day is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the hay day addiction
- Why is hay day so addictive?
- Possible causes of hay day dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of hay day addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of hay day
- Some benefits of hay day
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your hay day addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the hay day addiction
- Best hay day blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with hay day addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the hay day addiction?
About hay day
Hay Day is a farming simulation game for iOS and Android devices. Players manage their farm, grow crops, raise animals, and complete tasks to earn rewards.
Addiction to hay day, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes hay day addiction?
No, Hay Day addiction is not listed in the DSM-5. However, the DSM-5 does contain a diagnosis of Internet Gaming Disorder, which may apply to some people who are excessively engaged in playing Hay Day or other video games.
So what means “hay day addiction”?
Hay Day Addiction is a term used to describe the strong attachment people have to playing the popular farming simulation game Hay Day. It is characterized by people spending a large amount of time playing the game, becoming preoccupied with the game, and feeling a sense of withdrawal when not playing.
What is considered hay day addiction?
- 1. Spending more than 4 hours a day playing Hay Day.
- 2. Preoccupation with the game, even when not playing.
- 3. Neglecting important life activities such as work, school, and family obligations in favor of playing Hay Day.
- 4. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when not playing.
- 5. Increased irritability and restlessness when not playing.
- 6. Difficulties in stopping or reducing playing Hay Day despite negative consequences.
- 7. Continuing to play despite feeling bored or frustrated with the game.
- 8. Spending money on in-game purchases.
- 9. Lying about how much time is spent playing Hay Day.
- 10. Becoming socially isolated or withdrawing from social activities in order to play.
How much hay day is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the individual and how much enjoyment they get out of playing the game. Generally speaking, if it starts to interfere with your daily activities or relationships, then it might be time to take a break.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the hay day addiction widespread?
Hay Day is a very popular mobile game with millions of downloads worldwide, and some players may become addicted to the game due to its engaging gameplay and social features. It is important to practice moderation and balance in playing video games to avoid addiction and negative effects on one’s life.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of hay day addiction
Why is hay day so addictive?
Hay Day is an addictive game because it has a lot of fun activities and challenges to keep players engaged. The game offers a wide range of tasks and rewards that keep players coming back for more. Players can also customize their farms and compete in leaderboards, adding a competitive element to the game. The game’s simple and easy-to-understand controls also make it enjoyable and accessible to a wide range of players.
Possible causes of hay day dependency
- 1. Easily Accessible: Hay Day is a mobile game that is available on both iOS and Android and can be downloaded for free. This makes it easily accessible and can be played anytime, anywhere.
- 2. Fun and Engaging: Hay Day is a fun and engaging game that has lots of levels to complete and rewards to earn. This makes it addicting, as players are always looking for the next level to reach or the next reward to collect.
- 3. Social Interaction: Hay Day allows players to join farms with other players and interact with them in a variety of ways. This social interaction makes the game more enjoyable, and can lead to addiction as players try to reach higher levels to show off to their friends.
- 4. Rewards: Hay Day offers rewards and bonuses for completing tasks and reaching higher levels. This makes the game more enjoyable and encourages players to keep playing to get more rewards.
Signs & Symptoms of hay day addiction
Now let’s see if you have the hay day addiction problem.
- 1. You check the app more than once a day.
- 2. You think about new strategies to optimize your farm.
- 3. Your friends and family know you as the Hay Day person.
- 4. You are always looking for ways to get more coins and diamonds.
- 5. You can’t help but compare your farm to others.
- 6. You have dreams about harvesting crops and building structures.
- 7. You spend a lot of time playing the game.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of hay day: should you quit?
What are some benefits of hay day
- 1. Fun and Engaging Gameplay: Hay Day is a fun and engaging game with a unique farming and trading experience. The game has plenty of content to keep players entertained and the trading system adds a unique twist.
- 2. Great Graphics: Hay Day has some of the best graphics in mobile gaming. The visuals are vibrant and the characters and environments are detailed.
- 3. Social Connectivity: Hay Day allows players to connect with friends and family through the game. This adds a social aspect to the game, which can be a great way to stay connected with people while playing.
- 4. Variety of Gameplay: Hay Day offers a variety of activities such as farming, trading, fishing, and more. This gives the game a lot of replay value and keeps the game fresh and exciting.
- 5. Free to Play: Hay Day is free to play, meaning that anyone can download and play the game without spending any money. This makes it more accessible to players who may not be able to afford other games.
- 1. In-app Purchases: Hay Day does have in-app purchases, which can be a disadvantage for some players. These purchases can help progress through the game faster, but they can also be costly.
- 2. Time-Consuming: Hay Day can be a time-consuming game, as some tasks can take a long time to complete. This can be a downside for players who don’t have the time to dedicate to the game.
- 3. Repetitive Tasks: Hay Day can become repetitive at times, as players are often doing the same tasks over and over again. This can become tedious and can make the game feel stale.
But at the opposite, what can be some hay day addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
The effects of playing Hay Day on your health can be both positive and negative. On the positive side, playing Hay Day can encourage people to be more active, as well as improve hand-eye coordination and problem-solving skills. It can also be a great source of relaxation and stress relief. On the negative side, playing Hay Day can lead to addiction and excessive gaming, which can have a negative impact on physical and mental health.
Additionally, it can lead to the neglect of other important tasks or responsibilities.
hay day and sleep disorder
Playing video games, including Hay Day, before bedtime, can potentially disrupt sleep patterns and make it more challenging to fall asleep. The blue light emitted from screens can also suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep. It is generally recommended to avoid using electronic devices for at least an hour before bed to promote healthy sleep habits.
hay day affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of hay day on your brain
- 1. Reduced Concentration: Excessive playing of Hay Day can cause your concentration levels to drop, making it hard to focus on tasks or even engage in meaningful conversations.
- 2. Distraction: Hay Day can be quite addictive and can lead to distraction from important tasks. It is important to take regular breaks from the game to keep your focus.
- 3. Anxiety and Stress: Constant worrying about losing in the game or not being able to progress can cause stress and anxiety. Regular breaks are essential to avoid this.
- 4. Poor Decision Making: Playing too much Hay Day can lead to poor decision making as the game can decrease your ability to think critically.
Some effects of hay day on your mental health
1. Increased Stress: Playing Hay Day can cause stress due to the pressure of trying to progress in the game. This can lead to anxiety, fatigue, and depression.
2. Unhealthy Gaming Habits: Hay Day can become addictive and lead to unhealthy gaming habits such as neglecting school work, avoiding social situations, and spending too much money in order to progress in the game.
3. Social Anxiety: Players can become isolated from their friends and family while playing Hay Day and this can lead to social anxiety and a sense of loneliness.
Does hay day cause stress and anxiety?
This can happen if someone becomes overly competitive or obsessed with the game, neglecting other aspects of their life such as work, relationships, and self-care.
Additionally, if someone is already dealing with high levels of stress or anxiety, playing a game that requires a lot of attention and focus can sometimes add to their existing feelings of overwhelm. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance and prioritize self-care, even when enjoying a game like Hay Day.
Can hay day addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for excessive playing of Hay Day or any other game to lead to feelings of sadness and depression. This can happen due to several reasons, such as neglecting important responsibilities, social isolation, and the lack of real-life interaction and stimulation.
If playing Hay Day is interfering with daily life activities, causing difficulty in concentrating, or leading to feelings of sadness and depression, it is essential to seek help from a mental health professional. They can provide support, guidance, and strategies for managing the addiction and improving overall well-being.
Dopamine and hay day
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is associated with feelings of pleasure and reward in the brain. It is believed to play a role in addiction, motivation, and pleasure-seeking behaviors.
Hay Day is a popular mobile farming game that allows players to plant and harvest crops, raise animals, and sell their products to make money and expand their farm. The game includes various tasks and challenges that players must complete to progress through the levels.
Playing Hay Day can trigger the release of dopamine in the brain, as players receive rewards and achievement notifications for completing tasks and reaching milestones. This can create a sense of satisfaction and pleasure, which can lead to a desire to continue playing the game and seeking out more rewards.
However, excessive use of games like Hay Day can also lead to addiction and negative consequences, such as neglecting real-life responsibilities and relationships. It is important to use moderation and balance when playing video games to avoid these negative effects.
hay day effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Hay Day is a mobile game that involves farming simulation and management. While it can be entertaining and enjoyable, excessive gaming of any kind can have negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance.
Playing Hay Day or any mobile game for extended periods can lead to reduced focus and productivity as it can become a distraction from other tasks that need to be accomplished. It can also lead to a reduced attention span, making it difficult to concentrate on tasks for an extended period.
Excessive gaming can also lead to poor academic performance as it can take away from the time and effort needed to study and complete assignments.
Additionally, it can lead to a lack of sleep and physical activity, which can further impact academic performance.
It is essential to maintain a balance between entertainment and responsibilities, including academic and professional obligations. It is recommended to limit gaming time and prioritize responsibilities to maintain focus, productivity, and academic performance.
A word about ADHD and hay day
It is possible for individuals with ADHD to interact differently with Hay Day, as ADHD can affect a person’s ability to focus, sustain attention, and manage tasks. Some individuals with ADHD may struggle with managing the multiple tasks and activities required in Hay Day, while others may find the game to be an engaging and stimulating activity that can help them focus and improve their attention.
Additionally, some individuals with ADHD may experience difficulty with impulse control, which may impact their decision-making while playing the game. However, it is important to note that every individual with ADHD is unique and may have different experiences with Hay Day.
affecting your relationships
hay day and self-esteem
Hay Day is a mobile farming game that allows players to manage and grow their own virtual farm. While playing Hay Day may provide some entertainment and a sense of accomplishment, it is unlikely to have a significant impact on self-esteem.
Self-esteem is often influenced by a variety of factors, such as social support, personal achievements, and physical health. While playing a game like Hay Day may provide a sense of accomplishment and progress as players grow and expand their virtual farm, it is unlikely to have a significant impact on one’s overall self-esteem.
In fact, excessive gaming or relying too heavily on virtual accomplishments may have the opposite effect, leading to decreased self-esteem and feelings of inadequacy in real life. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between virtual and real-life activities and accomplishments to maintain a positive sense of self-esteem.
hay day addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, it is possible for addiction to Hay Day or any other game to lead to isolation and loneliness. This is because excessive gaming can lead to a person spending less time socializing with friends and family, and instead spending more time alone in front of a screen. Over time, this can cause a person to become socially isolated and experience feelings of loneliness. It is important for individuals who enjoy gaming to maintain a healthy balance between their gaming and social lives, to avoid the negative consequences of addiction.
Effects of hay day on your relationship
Positive effects of Hay Day on your relationship:
- 1. Provides a fun and shared activity: Playing Hay Day together can provide a shared activity that you can both enjoy and bond over.
- 2. Enhances communication: Playing the game can also provide an opportunity for you to communicate and work together to achieve common goals.
- 3. Reduces stress: Hay Day can be a fun and relaxing way to unwind after a long day, which can help reduce stress and tension in your relationship.
- 4. Encourages teamwork: Playing the game requires teamwork, which can help strengthen your relationship by fostering a sense of cooperation and shared responsibility.
Negative effects of Hay Day on your relationship:
- 1. Addiction: Playing Hay Day for extended periods of time can lead to addiction, which can cause problems in your relationship if one partner becomes too consumed by the game.
- 2. Time-consuming: Spending too much time playing Hay Day can take away from time that could be spent on other important activities, such as spending time with your partner.
- 3. Frustration: The game can be frustrating at times, which can lead to arguments and tension in your relationship.
- 4. Financial strain: Some players may spend real money on in-game purchases, which can cause financial strain and disagreements in your relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your hay day Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to hay day and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for hay day?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your hay day addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the hay day addiction
- 1. Identify your triggers: Take a moment to reflect on why you play Hay Day in the first place. Is it because you want to relax or because you want to escape from stress? Whatever the case may be, it’s important to identify what triggers your Hay Day habit in order to break it.
- 2. Set a limit: Set a timer or alarm to limit how long you play Hay Day and be sure to stick to it. This will help you to control how much time you spend playing and allow you to focus on other activities.
- 3. Take a break: Unplug from the game and do something else instead. Take a walk, read a book, or spend time with friends and family.
- 4. Seek help: If your Hay Day habit is taking over your life, it’s time to get help. Consider talking to a therapist who can provide strategies to help you cope with stress and anxiety and manage your time in a healthier way.
- 5. Replace the habit: Replace your Hay Day habit with healthier activities, such as exercising, cooking, or learning a new skill. This will help you stay focused and motivated to break the cycle of addiction.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including hay day:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of hay day
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your hay day accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: