Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the fortnite addiction.
- What’s the fortnite addiction?
- Addiction to fortnite, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered fortnite addiction
- How much fortnite is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the fortnite addiction
- Why is fortnite so addictive?
- Possible causes of fortnite dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of fortnite addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of fortnite
- Some benefits of fortnite
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your fortnite addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the fortnite addiction
- Best fortnite blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with fortnite addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the fortnite addiction?
Fortnite is a free-to-play online video game developed by Epic Games and released in 2017. It is a cooperative survival game with a Battle Royale mode.
Addiction to fortnite, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes fortnite addiction?
There is no mention of Fortnite addiction in the DSM-5.
So what means “fortnite addiction”?
There is no single answer to this question as everyone experiences addiction differently. However, in general, addiction can be defined as a compulsive and often damaging need to engage in a particular activity, despite the negative consequences it may have on one’s life. For some people, addiction to Fortnite may manifest as an inability to stop playing the game, even when it interferes with work, school, or relationships. Others may find that they are spending more money on in-game purchases than they can afford, or that they are neglecting important responsibilities in order to play. Whatever the form it takes, addiction can have a serious impact on an individual’s life, and it is important to seek professional help if you feel that you may be struggling with an addiction.
What is considered fortnite addiction?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the criteria for diagnosing a fortnite addiction will vary depending on the individual. However, some general criteria that may be used to diagnose a fortnite addiction include:
- 1. Preoccupation with fortnite: Individuals who are addicted to fortnite may spend a large amount of time thinking about the game, planning their next game session, or talking to others about the game.
- 2. Loss of control: Individuals who are addicted to fortnite may feel that they cannot control their game-playing behavior, and may continue to play even when they are supposed to be doing other things.
- 3. Negative consequences: Individuals who are addicted to fortnite may experience negative consequences as a result of their game-playing behavior, such as poor performance at work or school, financial problems, or relationship difficulties.
- 4. Tolerance: Individuals who are addicted to fortnite may find that they need to play for longer periods of time or at higher levels to achieve the same level of satisfaction.
- 5. Withdrawal: Individuals who are addicted to fortnite may experience withdrawal symptoms when they stop playing the game, such as anxiety, irritability, or depression.
How much fortnite is too much?
There is no one answer to this question as everyone has different opinions. Some people may feel that spending any amount of time on Fortnite is too much, while others may be fine with spending several hours a day on the game. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide how much time is too much.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the fortnite addiction widespread?
Addiction to video games, including Fortnite, is a growing concern and has been recognized as a mental health disorder by the World Health Organization. It is important to maintain a balance between gaming and other activities in one’s life.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of fortnite addiction
Why is fortnite so addictive?
There are a number of reasons why Fortnite is so addictive. For one, the game is extremely competitive and encourages players to keep coming back for more.
Additionally, the game is free-to-play, which means that there is no barrier to entry for new players. Finally, the game is constantly updated with new content, which keeps players engaged.
Possible causes of fortnite dependency
There is no definitive answer to this question as everyone may have different reasons for becoming addicted to Fortnite. However, some possible causes could include the game’s engaging and addictive gameplay, social interaction with other players, and the sense of accomplishment and rewards that come from winning.
Signs & Symptoms of fortnite addiction
Now let’s see if you have the fortnite addiction problem.
- 1. You spend more time thinking about Fortnite than anything else.
- 2. You can’t go more than a few hours without playing Fortnite.
- 3. You’re always talking about Fortnite with your friends.
- 4. You’ve started neglecting your other hobbies because of Fortnite.
- 5. You’re spending more money on Fortnite than you’d like to admit.
- 6. You’re starting to feel like you’re addicted to Fortnite.
- 7. You can’t imagine your life without Fortnite.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of fortnite: should you quit?
What are some benefits of fortnite
Some people may think that Fortnite is great because it is a free game that is constantly updated with new content. Others may find the building mechanics and destruction to be more interesting and entertaining than other games in the genre.But at the opposite, what can be some fortnite addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is no definitive answer to this question as the health effects of playing Fortnite will vary from person to person. Some potential health effects that have been associated with playing video games like Fortnite include:
• neck pain
• eye strain
• carpal tunnel syndrome
• poor posture
• weight gain
• sleep problems
fortnite and sleep disorder
Playing Fortnite or any video game before bedtime can create sleep problems or sleep disorders. The blue light emitted by screens can suppress melatonin production, which is a hormone that helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. This can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Additionally, the excitement and stimulation of playing Fortnite can also make it challenging to wind down and relax before bedtime, leading to a delay in sleep onset. It is recommended to avoid playing video games or using electronic devices for at least an hour before bedtime to promote healthy sleep habits.
fortnite affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of fortnite on your brain
Fortnite can have negative effects on your brain, especially if you play it for long periods of time. It can lead to problems with concentration and attention, and it can also cause you to feel anxious and stressed. You may also experience sleep problems, headaches, and dizziness.
Some effects of fortnite on your mental health
There is not enough research to definitively say what the long-term effects of playing Fortnite may be. However, some experts have suggested that it could lead to increases in anxiety and depression, as well as problems with attention and concentration.
Additionally, the game can be quite addictive, which could lead to issues with time management and social interaction.
Does fortnite cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing Fortnite can cause stress or anxiety in some individuals. This can be due to several factors, such as the pressure to perform well, the fast-paced and intense gameplay, the competitiveness of the game, or the fear of losing.
Additionally, playing for prolonged periods can also lead to physical discomfort and mental exhaustion, which can contribute to feelings of stress and anxiety. It is important to take breaks, practice self-care, and seek help if needed to manage any negative emotions associated with playing Fortnite or any other video game.
Can fortnite addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, excessive gaming and addiction to Fortnite can lead to sadness and depression. Prolonged gaming sessions can lead to social isolation, lack of physical activity, and neglect of responsibilities, which can all contribute to feelings of sadness and depression.
Additionally, the game itself can be emotionally challenging, with the pressure to perform well and the potential for negative interactions with other players. It is important for individuals who are struggling with gaming addiction and mental health issues to seek professional help.
Dopamine and fortnite
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in the brain’s reward system, which is activated when we experience pleasure or excitement. In the case of playing Fortnite, dopamine is released when a player achieves a goal, wins a game, or performs well in a match. This dopamine release can create a sense of pleasure and motivation to continue playing, leading to a potential addiction to the game. The constant rewards and achievements in Fortnite can keep players engaged and seeking more, leading to a potential cycle of dopamine release and addiction.
fortnite effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Fortnite is a popular video game that can be highly engaging and entertaining, but it can also have negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. Here are some ways that Fortnite can impact these areas:
- 1. Focus: Playing Fortnite for long periods of time can cause a person to become overly focused on the game and lose focus on other tasks or responsibilities. This can lead to a lack of productivity and difficulty completing tasks.
- 2. Productivity: Spending too much time playing Fortnite can also negatively impact productivity. It can lead to procrastination and a lack of motivation to complete daily tasks and responsibilities.
- 3. Attention span: Fortnite is a highly stimulating game that can cause a person to become easily distracted and have a shorter attention span. This can make it difficult to focus on important tasks and complete them efficiently.
- 4. Academic performance: Playing Fortnite excessively can take away from study time and negatively impact academic performance. It can also cause a lack of sleep, which can further impact academic performance.
In summary, while playing Fortnite can be enjoyable, it is important to balance game time with other responsibilities and prioritize academic success.
A word about ADHD and fortnite
People with ADHD may interact differently with Fortnite because the game can provide a high level of stimulation and excitement, which can be appealing to individuals with ADHD. However, because ADHD can also affect attention and impulse control, some individuals may struggle with staying focused on the game or may have difficulty regulating their behavior while playing.
Additionally, because Fortnite is a highly social game, individuals with ADHD may struggle with social interactions or may become overly invested in the game, leading to difficulty balancing gaming with other responsibilities or activities. It is important to note that every individual with ADHD is unique and may have different experiences with video games like Fortnite.
affecting your relationships
fortnite and self-esteem
Fortnite can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem depending on the individual’s experience with the game.
- 1. Achievement and mastery: Successfully completing challenges or winning matches can boost self-esteem and provide a sense of accomplishment.
- 2. Social connections: Playing with others can foster a sense of belonging and connectedness, which can positively impact self-esteem.
- 3. Positive reinforcement: Receiving praise or recognition from other players can boost self-esteem and confidence.
- 1. Comparison and competition: Constantly comparing oneself to others and feeling pressure to perform can lead to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem.
- 2. Cyberbullying: Negative comments or harassment from other players can damage self-esteem and self-worth.
- 3. Addiction: Spending excessive amounts of time playing Fortnite can lead to neglect of other important areas of life, which can negatively impact self-esteem.
Overall, the effects of Fortnite on self-esteem depend on how the individual experiences the game and how they manage their use of it. It is important to maintain a balanced approach to gaming and prioritize self-care to avoid negative impacts on self-esteem.
fortnite addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive Fortnite gameplay can lead to isolation and loneliness. People who become addicted to Fortnite often prioritize the game over socializing with friends and family. They may spend extended periods of time playing the game, leading to a lack of social interaction and isolation.
Additionally, Fortnite addiction can cause individuals to withdraw from other activities and hobbies, further contributing to feelings of loneliness and isolation. It is crucial to maintain a balance between gaming and other aspects of life to prevent addiction and its negative effects.
Effects of fortnite on your relationship
Positive effects of Fortnite on your relationship:
- 1. It can be a fun activity to bond over: Fortnite can be a fun and engaging activity to enjoy with your partner, allowing you to spend quality time together while having fun.
- 2. It can improve communication and teamwork skills: Fortnite requires good communication and teamwork skills to be successful, which can improve these skills in your relationship as well.
- 3. It can relieve stress: Playing Fortnite can be a great way to relieve stress and unwind together after a long day.
Negative effects of Fortnite on your relationship:
- 1. It can lead to excessive gaming: Spending too much time playing Fortnite can lead to a neglect of other important aspects of your relationship, such as communication and intimacy.
- 2. It can create a competitive or negative environment: If you or your partner become overly competitive or frustrated while playing Fortnite, it can create a negative atmosphere that can spill over into your relationship.
- 3. It can lead to a lack of quality time: While playing Fortnite together can be a fun activity, it is important to also make time for other activities and quality time together as a couple.
How To Stop & quit Your fortnite Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to fortnite and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for fortnite?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your fortnite addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the fortnite addiction
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to get rid of an addiction depends on the individual and the severity of their addiction. However, some general steps that may help include:
- 1. Recognizing that there is a problem and that help is needed.
- 2. Seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor who specializes in treating addictions.
- 3. Participating in a treatment program designed to help people overcome their addictions.
- 4. Making lifestyle changes to support recovery, such as eating a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and avoiding triggers that can lead to relapse.
- 5. Building a support system of family and friends who can offer encouragement and help during difficult times.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including fortnite:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of fortnite
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your fortnite accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: