Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addiction to Fortnite, Facebook, Instagram, Porn, Netflix, Youtube, Tinder… (find them all here).Today, let’s talk about how to quit the fortnite addiction.
- What is the fortnite addiction?
- What is considered fortnite addiction?
- How much fortnite is too much?
- Do fortnite addiction facts & statistics exist?
- Symptoms & Causes of the fortnite addiction
- Symptoms & Signs of fortnite addiction
- Possible causes of fortnite dependency
- Why is fortnite so addictive?
- Problem, bad effects & consequences of fortnite
- creating general health problems
- affecting your brain & mental health
- affecting your relationships
- How to stop your fortnite addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the fortnite addiction
- Best fortnite blocker apps & software
- Best books to quit fortnite
- where to seek extra help?
Am I Addicted To fortnite?
Fortnite is a free-to-play online video game developed by Epic Games and released in 2017. It is a cooperative survival game with a Battle Royale mode.
Addiction to fortnite, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes fortnite addiction?
There is no mention of Fortnite addiction in the DSM-5.
So what is the definition of “fortnite addiction”?
There is no single answer to this question as everyone experiences addiction differently. However, in general, addiction can be defined as a compulsive and often damaging need to engage in a particular activity, despite the negative consequences it may have on one’s life. For some people, addiction to Fortnite may manifest as an inability to stop playing the game, even when it interferes with work, school, or relationships. Others may find that they are spending more money on in-game purchases than they can afford, or that they are neglecting important responsibilities in order to play. Whatever the form it takes, addiction can have a serious impact on an individual’s life, and it is important to seek professional help if you feel that you may be struggling with an addiction.
What is considered fortnite addiction?
How much fortnite is too much?
There is no one answer to this question as everyone has different opinions. Some people may feel that spending any amount of time on Fortnite is too much, while others may be fine with spending several hours a day on the game. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide how much time is too much.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association,65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health,approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. A study conducted by the University of California,Irvine found that 8.5% of gamers in South Korea were addicted to video games.
4. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable condition in the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
5. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research,gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
6. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the fortnite addiction widespread?
We do not have access to the exact number of people addicted to Fortnite, but it is a highly popular video game with a large player base. However, addiction to video games, including Fortnite, is a growing concern and has been recognized as a mental health disorder by the World Health Organization. It is important to maintain a balance between gaming and other activities in one’s life.
Symptoms & Causes of the fortnite addiction
Why is fortnite so addictive?
There are a number of reasons why Fortnite is so addictive. For one, the game is extremely competitive and encourages players to keep coming back for more.
Additionally, the game is free-to-play, which means that there is no barrier to entry for new players. Finally, the game is constantly updated with new content, which keeps players engaged.
Possible causes of fortnite dependency
There is no definitive answer to this question as everyone may have different reasons for becoming addicted to Fortnite. However, some possible causes could include the game’s engaging and addictive gameplay, social interaction with other players, and the sense of accomplishment and rewards that come from winning.
Signs & Symptoms of fortnite addiction
Now let’s see if you have the fortnite addiction problem
- 1. You spend more time thinking about Fortnite than anything else.
- 2. You can’t go more than a few hours without playing Fortnite.
- 3. You’re always talking about Fortnite with your friends.
- 4. You’ve started neglecting your other hobbies because of Fortnite.
- 5. You’re spending more money on Fortnite than you’d like to admit.
- 6. You’re starting to feel like you’re addicted to Fortnite.
- 7. You can’t imagine your life without Fortnite.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of fortnite: should you quit your fortnite addiction?
What are some benefits of fortnite
Some people may think that Fortnite is great because it is a free game that is constantly updated with new content. Others may find the building mechanics and destruction to be more interesting and entertaining than other games in the genre.But at the opposite, what can be some fortnite addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
There is no definitive answer to this question as the health effects of playing Fortnite will vary from person to person. Some potential health effects that have been associated with playing video games like Fortnite include:
• neck pain
• eye strain
• carpal tunnel syndrome
• poor posture
• weight gain
• sleep problems
fortnite and sleep disorder
Playing Fortnite or any video game before bedtime can create sleep problems or sleep disorders. The blue light emitted by screens can suppress melatonin production, which is a hormone that helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. This can make it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Additionally, the excitement and stimulation of playing Fortnite can also make it challenging to wind down and relax before bedtime, leading to a delay in sleep onset. It is recommended to avoid playing video games or using electronic devices for at least an hour before bedtime to promote healthy sleep habits.
fortnite affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of fortnite on your brain
Fortnite can have negative effects on your brain, especially if you play it for long periods of time. It can lead to problems with concentration and attention, and it can also cause you to feel anxious and stressed. You may also experience sleep problems, headaches, and dizziness.
Some effects of fortnite on your mental health
There is not enough research to definitively say what the long-term effects of playing Fortnite may be. However, some experts have suggested that it could lead to increases in anxiety and depression, as well as problems with attention and concentration.
Additionally, the game can be quite addictive, which could lead to issues with time management and social interaction.
Does fortnite cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing Fortnite can cause stress or anxiety in some individuals. This can be due to several factors, such as the pressure to perform well, the fast-paced and intense gameplay, the competitiveness of the game, or the fear of losing.
Additionally, playing for prolonged periods can also lead to physical discomfort and mental exhaustion, which can contribute to feelings of stress and anxiety. It is important to take breaks, practice self-care, and seek help if needed to manage any negative emotions associated with playing Fortnite or any other video game.
Can fortnite addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, excessive gaming and addiction to Fortnite can lead to sadness and depression. Prolonged gaming sessions can lead to social isolation, lack of physical activity, and neglect of responsibilities, which can all contribute to feelings of sadness and depression.
Additionally, the game itself can be emotionally challenging, with the pressure to perform well and the potential for negative interactions with other players. It is important for individuals who are struggling with gaming addiction and mental health issues to seek professional help.
Dopamine and fortnite
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in the brain’s reward system, which is activated when we experience pleasure or excitement. In the case of playing Fortnite, dopamine is released when a player achieves a goal, wins a game, or performs well in a match. This dopamine release can create a sense of pleasure and motivation to continue playing, leading to a potential addiction to the game. The constant rewards and achievements in Fortnite can keep players engaged and seeking more, leading to a potential cycle of dopamine release and addiction.
fortnite effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
A word about ADHD and fortnite
People with ADHD may interact differently with Fortnite because the game can provide a high level of stimulation and excitement, which can be appealing to individuals with ADHD. However, because ADHD can also affect attention and impulse control, some individuals may struggle with staying focused on the game or may have difficulty regulating their behavior while playing.
Additionally, because Fortnite is a highly social game, individuals with ADHD may struggle with social interactions or may become overly invested in the game, leading to difficulty balancing gaming with other responsibilities or activities. It is important to note that every individual with ADHD is unique and may have different experiences with video games like Fortnite.
affecting your relationships
fortnite and self-esteem
fortnite addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive Fortnite gameplay can lead to isolation and loneliness. People who become addicted to Fortnite often prioritize the game over socializing with friends and family. They may spend extended periods of time playing the game, leading to a lack of social interaction and isolation.
Additionally, Fortnite addiction can cause individuals to withdraw from other activities and hobbies, further contributing to feelings of loneliness and isolation. It is crucial to maintain a balance between gaming and other aspects of life to prevent addiction and its negative effects.
Effects of fortnite on your relationship
How To Stop & quit Your fortnite Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to fortnite and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for fortnite?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your fortnite addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the fortnite addiction
- 1. Recognizing that there is a problem and that help is needed.
- 2. Seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor who specializes in treating addictions.
- 5. Building a support system of family and friends who can offer encouragement and help during difficult times.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including fortnite:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of fortnite
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your fortnite accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up:
Click here if you want to see more of the Digital Purge!
2. Spot & Reveal your emotional triggers
Second, there are some reasons, often hidden ones, that your brain and your heart love so much fortnite. Those reasons act as triggers to pull your cravings. Rather than chasing the addiction, it’s a more efficient strategy to look at the feelings driving you toward it. That way you can cure and heal the feeling. You’ll feel better and the cravings will magically disappear. Just get away.
3. Rewire to life
An addiction FOMO (fear of missing out) can be huge and really painful to resist, especially if it was here for a long time. However learning to live with it is necessary to build a life full of peace and joy. Strategies to fight FOMO and rewire to life include meditation, nature activities, social interaction, intellectual and creative projects, meaningful adventures… basically anything that fill your soul.
4. How to not relapse and fully recover from fortnite?
Finally, it’s important to acknowledge that quitting may takes days, weeks, months or even years. Getting over and quitting fortnite forever can be difficult. You may relapse a few times, but the most important is that you keep engaging less and less with fortnite. Each day you resist to it is a day weakening your brain connections with fortnite. From your patience and discipline will arise incredible mind strength, hope and wisdom.
Best fortnite blocker apps & functionalities
Additionally, you can increase your chance of withdrawal by limiting or blocking access to fortnite using those apps.
They I’ll help you to filter, reduce or block fortnite:
- 1. Qustodio – This app allows parents to set time limits on gaming and block access to specific games or apps.
- 2. AppDetox – This app lets users set up custom rules to limit their gaming time and block access to games during certain times of the day.
- 3. OurPact – This app lets parents set screen time limits and block access to specific apps or games on their child’s device.
- 4. Screen Time – This app allows parents to set daily limits on screen time and block access to specific games or apps.
- 5. Freedom – This app allows users to block access to specific websites, apps, or games for a set period of time, helping them to stay focused and productive.
where to seek extra help?
Do you need some support and help to stop and overcome and recover from your fortnite addiction? If you or someone you know is struggling with fortnite addiction, there are a few places to seek help.
The Ultimate Rewiring Program For fortnite Addicts
Our course The Digital Purge. This course has already helped many digital addicts to rewire to what matter.
Is there a “treatment” to cure video games addiction?
There is no specific cure for video game addiction, but there are treatments available that can help manage the condition. These treatments may include therapy, counseling, and support groups. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a commonly used treatment for video game addiction, which aims to change the behavior patterns and thought processes that lead to addiction.
Additionally, lifestyle changes such as setting limits on gaming time, finding alternative activities, and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine can also be effective in managing video game addiction. It is important to seek help from a healthcare professional if you or someone you know is struggling with video game addiction.
Does video games therapy exist?
Yes, therapy to treat video game addiction does exist. There are various approaches used by therapists, including cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which helps individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors related to their gaming habits. Other types of therapy that can be effective for video game addiction include mindfulness-based therapies and family therapy. It is important to seek help from a licensed mental health professional who has experience treating gaming addiction.
Where to find support groups if you are addicted to fortnite?
But other fortnite addiction solutions exist
It’s not easy overcoming any addiction, but it’s definitely possible with hard work and determination. Just like anything else in life, it’s going to take time and effort to wean yourself off of Fortnite. However, it’ll be worth it in the end when you’re free from the addiction and can live your life to the fullest.
To go further, please check our course The Digital Purge.
To go further
How to help someone with fortnite addiction?
Best books about video games addiction
- 1. “Unplugged: My Journey into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction” by Ryan G. Van Cleave
- 2. “Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction Is Hijacking Our Kids-and How to Break the Trance” by Nicholas Kardaras
- 3. “Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change” by Ellen Pao
- 4. “Power Down: How to Reboot, Recharge, and Renew Your Work and Life” by Heidi Hanna
- 5. “The Video Game Addiction Guide: For Parents, Partners, Spouses, and Those Who Love Someone Who Needs Help” by Brett M. Judd.
Research about video games addiction
1. “Internet gaming disorder: A systematic review of empirical research” by Kuss, D. J., Griffiths, M. D., & Pontes, H. M. (2017.
2. “Video game addiction: Past, present and future” by Griffiths, M. D., & Kuss, D. J. (2018.
3. “The prevalence and correlates of video gaming in secondary school students: A longitudinal study” by Kuss, D. J., Louws, J., & Wiers, R. W. (2012.
4. “Neuroimaging studies of Internet gaming disorder: A systematic review” by Dong, G., Li, H., & Potenza, M. N. (2017.
5. “Video game addiction and social responsibility” by Holtz, P., & Appel, M. (2011.
To go further, please check our course The Digital Purge.