Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the dota addiction.
- What’s the dota addiction?
- Addiction to dota, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered dota addiction
- How much dota is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the dota addiction
- Why is dota so addictive?
- Possible causes of dota dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dota addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of dota
- Some benefits of dota
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your dota addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the dota addiction
- Best dota blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with dota addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the dota addiction?
Dota (Defense of the Ancients) is a multiplayer online battle arena video game. Players control characters called “heroes” and work together to defeat opponents and complete objectives.
Addiction to dota, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes dota addiction?
No, Dota addiction is not listed in the DSM-5. However, the DSM-5 does include a diagnosis of Internet Gaming Disorder (IGD). IGD is described as a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behavior that may be characterized by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities, and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.
So what means “dota addiction”?
Dota addiction is a term used to describe a person’s obsession with the game Defense of the Ancients (DOTA). It is a popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game in which two teams of five players battle each other in a fantasy-themed environment. Players control unique characters with special abilities and attempt to destroy their opponents’ base. The game has become extremely popular over the years, with millions of players around the world. Signs of DOTA addiction include spending excessive amounts of time playing the game, isolating oneself to play, and neglecting other responsibilities in pursuit of the game.
What is considered dota addiction?
- 1. Preoccupation with Dota: Spending an excessive amount of time playing Dota and thinking about the game at inappropriate times.
- 2. Problems in everyday life: Neglecting responsibilities such as work, school, and relationships due to an excessive amount of time playing Dota.
- 3. Withdrawal symptoms: Feeling irritable, anxious, or depressed when not playing Dota.
- 4. Tolerance: Needing to play more and more to feel the same satisfaction.
- 5. Neglect of health: Not exercising, not eating enough, or not sleeping enough due to excessive gaming.
- 6. Escalation of use: Increasing the amount of time spent playing Dota despite negative consequences.
How much dota is too much?
The amount of time spent on Dota is subjective and should be determined by the individual. Dota is a game and should be enjoyed in moderation. If you find yourself spending more time playing Dota than engaging in other activities, it may be time to take a break.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the dota addiction widespread?
It is known that Dota (Defense of the Ancients) has a large and dedicated player base, with millions of players worldwide. Like any competitive game, there is a risk of addiction for some individuals who may struggle to balance their gaming habits with other aspects of their life. It is important for individuals to monitor their gaming habits and seek help if they feel they are becoming addicted.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dota addiction
Why is dota so addictive?
Dota is so addictive because it offers an incredibly deep and complex gaming experience. It has a wide variety of heroes, items, and strategies, allowing players to customize their characters and play styles. It also offers a unique challenge, as no two games are ever the same. In addition, the intense competition between teams and the ever-evolving meta make the game a constantly evolving experience. Finally, it also offers a great social experience with its in-game chat and its community of passionate players.
Possible causes of dota dependency
- 1. Availability: Dota is a free-to-play game and is available on multiple platforms, making it easily accessible to everyone.
- 2. Competition: The competitive nature of Dota provides an opportunity to challenge yourself and your skills against other players.
- 3. Social Aspect: Dota has a thriving online community and playing with friends can be very rewarding and fun.
- 4. Variety: The vast selection of heroes and strategies makes the game interesting and keeps players coming back for more.
- 5. Rewards: The rewards of playing Dota can be very rewarding, with players able to earn in-game currency and items that can be used to improve their heroes.
- 6. Escapism: The game provides an opportunity to escape from reality and relax, which can be very appealing to some players.
Signs & Symptoms of dota addiction
Now let’s see if you have the dota addiction problem.
- 1. You find yourself dreaming about Dota heroes and gameplay.
- 2. You spend more time playing Dota than with your family and friends.
- 3. You find yourself trying to outplay your opponents in real life situations.
- 4. You can’t help but think about Dota when you’re away from your computer.
- 5. You have a hard time focusing on anything else besides Dota.
- 6. You find yourself playing Dota multiple times a day.
- 7. You have invested a large sum of money into Dota-related items.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of dota: should you quit?
What are some benefits of dota
- 1. Variety: Dota 2 offers an immense variety of heroes, items, and strategies to choose from, providing an almost infinite number of possible playstyles.
- 2. Depth: Players can customize their heroes with a variety of skills, items, and playstyles, ensuring that no two games of Dota 2 are the same.
- 3. Competitive: Dota 2 is a popular esport, with major tournaments and leagues all over the world.
- 4. Community: The Dota 2 community is one of the most active and supportive gaming communities out there, with players willing to help each other succeed.
- 5. Free-to-Play: Dota 2 is completely free-to-play, meaning anyone can jump in and start playing without spending a dime.
Why is Dota so great?
Dota 2 is an incredibly fun and rewarding game that allows players to experience a unique and engaging strategy-based experience. It is a game that encourages creativity and rewards players for their skill and knowledge. The variety of characters and the deep level of customization allows players to create the perfect team to take on any opponent. The competitive nature of the game and the vibrant and supportive community makes it an enjoyable experience for anyone who plays.But at the opposite, what can be some dota addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Lack of Exercise: Playing Dota can lead to a lack of physical activity, which can have a negative impact on your health. Sitting for long periods of time can lead to poor posture, which can cause back and neck pain. It can also contribute to weight gain, which can lead to other health issues.
- 2. Sleep Deprivation: Staying up late to play Dota can lead to sleep deprivation, which can have a number of negative effects on your health, including fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
- 3. Stress: Playing Dota can be stressful, especially when playing competitively. This stress can have a negative impact on your mental and physical health, leading to anxiety and depression.
- 4. Eye Strain: Long hours of staring at a computer screen can cause eye strain, which can lead to headaches, dry eyes, and blurred vision.
dota and sleep disorder
There is no definitive evidence to suggest that playing Dota can cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, playing video games before bed can disrupt sleep patterns and make it difficult to fall asleep. This is because the blue light emitted by screens can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles.
Additionally, the excitement and stimulation of playing Dota can make it difficult to wind down and relax before bed, which can also interfere with sleep. It is therefore recommended to avoid playing video games or using electronic devices for at least an hour before bedtime to promote healthy sleep habits.
dota affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of dota on your brain
- 1. Addiction: Dota can be highly addictive, leading to an unhealthy obsession with the game. This can lead to an inability to focus on anything else, including studying, socializing, exercising or even eating.
- 2. Impulsive Behavior: Dota can lead to impulsive behavior in players, which can lead to poor decision-making in real life.
- 3. Lack of Social Interaction: Dota can lead to a lack of social interaction and communication with others, as players become more isolated while playing.
- 4. Lack of Sleep: Dota can also lead to a lack of sleep, as players become so engrossed in the game that they forget to get the rest their bodies need.
- 5. Stress: The game can also cause stress, due to the fast-paced nature of the game and the pressure to win. This can lead to a decrease in the overall quality of life for players.
Some effects of dota on your mental health
- 1. Increased Stress: Dota can be extremely competitive and often leads to high levels of stress. This can lead to physical and mental health issues such as exhaustion, depression, and anxiety.
- 2. Addiction: Dota can become addictive, leading to hours of playtime and the neglect of other activities and social interactions.
- 3. Isolation: Playing Dota for long periods of time can lead to isolation from friends and family.
- 4. Loss of Sleep: Oftentimes, Dota players stay up late playing and neglect to get enough sleep, leading to issues with concentration, fatigue, and mood swings.
Does dota cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing Dota can cause stress or anxiety in some players. This is because the game can be very competitive and intense, and players may feel pressure to perform well, especially in ranked matches. Losing a game or having a bad performance can be frustrating and may cause anxiety or stress.
Additionally, players may feel stressed or anxious due to toxic behavior from other players, such as flaming or harassment. It is important to take breaks, practice self-care, and seek support if Dota or any other activity is causing significant stress or anxiety.
Can dota addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, Dota addiction can lead to sadness and depression. Excessive playing of Dota can lead to neglecting other important aspects of life such as work, school, and relationships. This can lead to feelings of guilt, shame, and hopelessness.
Additionally, losing games or not performing well can lead to frustration and a sense of failure, which can contribute to feelings of sadness and depression. It is important to balance gaming with other activities and seek help if addiction or negative feelings become overwhelming.
Dopamine and dota
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in the brain’s reward pathway. It is released when we experience pleasure or satisfaction, such as when we achieve a goal or receive positive feedback. Dopamine has been linked to various addictive behaviors, including gaming addiction.
Dota (Defense of the Ancients) is a popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that has gained a massive following worldwide. The game involves two teams of players battling it out to destroy the enemy team’s base while defending their own.
Playing Dota has been found to stimulate the release of dopamine in the brain, which can create a sense of pleasure and drive players to continue playing. However, excessive gaming can lead to addiction and negative consequences, such as neglecting important responsibilities, social isolation, and physical health issues.
dota effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Yes, playing Dota (or any video game) for extended periods of time can have negative impacts on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance.
When playing Dota, individuals may become fully immersed in the game, leading to decreased focus and attention on other tasks, such as studying or completing assignments. This can result in reduced productivity and poor academic performance.
Additionally, playing video games for extended periods of time can lead to disrupted sleep patterns, which can further impact focus, productivity, and academic performance.
It’s important to balance leisure activities like playing Dota with other important tasks and responsibilities to maintain overall well-being and academic success.
A word about ADHD and dota
People with ADHD may interact differently with Dota (Defense of the Ancients) than those without ADHD. Some possible ways that ADHD could affect someone’s interactions with Dota include:
- 1. Difficulty with sustained attention: People with ADHD may struggle to maintain their focus on the game for long periods of time, especially during repetitive or less exciting parts of gameplay. This could lead to more frequent breaks or distractions during gameplay.
- 2. Impulsivity: People with ADHD may be more impulsive and act without thinking through the consequences. This could lead to more risky or aggressive gameplay, or a tendency to jump into battles without fully assessing the situation.
- 3. Hyperfocus: On the other hand, some people with ADHD may experience hyperfocus, where they become completely absorbed in a task or activity that they find stimulating. This could lead to intense and prolonged gameplay sessions, sometimes at the expense of other responsibilities or priorities.
- 4. Difficulty with multitasking: People with ADHD may struggle to juggle multiple tasks or inputs at once, such as monitoring multiple lanes or keeping track of different heroes’ abilities. This could lead to missed opportunities or mistakes during gameplay.
Overall, the ways that ADHD could affect someone’s interactions with Dota will depend on the individual and their specific symptoms and strengths. It’s important to remember that having ADHD does not necessarily mean someone will be bad at or uninterested in Dota, but they may approach the game differently than someone without ADHD.
affecting your relationships
dota and self-esteem
Dota, like any other competitive game, can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem. Here are some ways Dota can affect self-esteem:
- 1. Achievement: Winning a game or reaching a higher rank can provide a sense of accomplishment and boost self-esteem.
- 2. Mastery: Dota requires skill and strategy, and mastering the game can increase self-confidence and self-esteem.
- 3. Social support: Playing Dota with friends or joining a team can provide a sense of belonging and support, which can boost self-esteem.
- 1. Failure: Losing a game or performing poorly can decrease self-esteem, especially if a player has high expectations for themselves.
- 2. Toxicity: Dota can be a toxic environment, with players being rude or abusive towards each other. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy and lower self-esteem.
- 3. Comparison: Comparing oneself to other players who are more skilled or successful can lead to feelings of inferiority and lower self-esteem.
Overall, Dota can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem, depending on the individual’s experiences and mindset. It’s important to focus on the positive aspects of the game and to have a healthy perspective on both wins and losses.
dota addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, Dota addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to Dota, they may spend long hours playing the game, neglecting social activities and relationships with family and friends. As a result, they may become isolated from others and feel lonely. In addition, the intense focus and competitiveness of the game can lead to anxiety and stress, which may further isolate the individual. It is important to maintain a balance between gaming and social activities to prevent addiction and maintain mental and emotional well-being.
Effects of dota on your relationship
- 1. Shared Interest: If both partners enjoy playing DOTA together, it can be a great way to bond and spend time together.
- 2. Teamwork: Playing DOTA as a team can help develop communication and teamwork skills, which can be applied to other areas of the relationship.
- 3. Fun and Entertainment: Playing DOTA can be an enjoyable and entertaining way to spend time together, which can help to reduce stress and improve overall mood.
- 1. Time Management: DOTA can be an addictive game that can lead to neglecting other responsibilities and relationships.
- 2. Competition: The competitive nature of DOTA can lead to arguments and conflicts between partners.
- 3. Isolation: Playing DOTA for extended periods of time can lead to social isolation and a lack of quality time spent together.
- 4. Financial Burden: If one partner spends too much money on DOTA-related expenses such as gaming equipment or subscriptions, it can cause financial strain on the relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your dota Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to dota and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for dota?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your dota addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the dota addiction
- 1. Recognize the problem: Understand that you have a problem with your Dota addiction and that you need to take action to change it.
- 2. Set realistic goals: Set realistic goals that you can achieve in a certain amount of time.
- 3. Find an alternative activity: Find an alternative activity that you can enjoy and take part in when you are not playing Dota.
- 4. Limit your play time: Set specific times to play Dota and stick to them.
- 5. Seek help: Reach out to friends and family for support. If you feel that your addiction is too severe, seek professional help.
- 6. Stay away from triggers: Avoid places, people and activities that may trigger your urge to play Dota.
- 7. Don’t give up: Stay motivated and keep working towards your goal of breaking your addiction.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including dota:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of dota
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your dota accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: