Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the dota 2 addiction.
- What’s the dota 2 addiction?
- Addiction to dota 2, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered dota 2 addiction
- How much dota 2 is too much?
- Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the dota 2 addiction
- Why is dota 2 so addictive?
- Possible causes of dota 2 dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dota 2 addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of dota 2
- Some benefits of dota 2
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your dota 2 addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the dota 2 addiction
- Best dota 2 blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with dota 2 addiction
- Best books about Video games addiction
- Research about Video games addiction
What is the dota 2 addiction?
About dota 2
Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game in which two teams of five players compete to destroy the enemy team’s base while defending their own. Players select from a roster of over 100 heroes, each with unique abilities and playstyles, and work together to achieve victory.
Addiction to dota 2, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes dota 2 addiction?
No, Dota 2 addiction is not listed as a specific disorder in the DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th edition). However, it may fall under the broader category of “Internet Gaming Disorder,” which is listed in the DSM-5 as a condition warranting further study. Internet Gaming Disorder is characterized by persistent and recurrent gaming behavior, leading to significant impairment or distress.
So what means “dota 2 addiction”?
Dota 2 addiction refers to a compulsive and excessive preoccupation with playing the video game Dota 2. It is characterized by a strong desire or need to play the game, difficulty controlling the amount of time spent playing, neglecting other responsibilities and activities, and experiencing negative consequences such as social isolation, sleep disturbance, and academic or occupational problems. Dota 2 addiction can have a significant impact on a person’s mental health, relationships, and overall well-being.
What is considered dota 2 addiction?
Here are some general criteria that experts may use to diagnose addiction to Dota 2:
- 1. Preoccupation with Dota 2: An individual may spend a significant amount of time thinking about or planning to play Dota 2.
- 2. Loss of control: An individual may struggle to limit their playing time or may experience cravings to play Dota 2.
- 3. Tolerance: The individual may need to play Dota 2 for longer periods or at higher levels of difficulty to experience the same level of satisfaction.
- 4. Withdrawal: The individual may experience negative emotional or physical symptoms when they are unable to play Dota 2, such as irritability, depression, restlessness, or physical discomfort.
- 5. Interference with daily life: The individual may neglect responsibilities, such as work, school, or social relationships, in favor of playing Dota 2.
- 6. Continued use despite negative consequences: The individual may continue to play Dota 2 despite experiencing negative consequences, such as financial problems, relationship issues, or health concerns.
It is important to note that the diagnosis of addiction is complex and should be made by a trained healthcare professional. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, seek professional help.
How much dota 2 is too much?
Excessive gaming can have negative effects on physical health, mental health, and social life. It is important to balance gaming with other activities and responsibilities, such as work, school, exercise, and spending time with friends and family. It is recommended to limit gaming to a reasonable amount of time each day and take breaks to rest and recharge.
Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the dota 2 addiction widespread?
Dota 2 is a popular online multiplayer game, and like any other video game, it has the potential to be addictive. Some players may find themselves spending long hours playing the game, neglecting other aspects of their lives, and experiencing negative consequences as a result. It’s important for players to monitor their gaming habits and seek help if they feel they may be addicted.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dota 2 addiction
Why is dota 2 so addictive?
- 1. Complex gameplay: Dota 2 is a very complex game with a steep learning curve. Players need to learn a lot of different heroes, items, and strategies to become good at the game. This complexity makes the game challenging and rewarding to play, as players are constantly learning and improving.
- 2. Teamwork: Dota 2 is a team game, and players need to work together to win. This teamwork aspect can be very engaging and rewarding, as players develop relationships with their teammates and work to improve their communication and coordination.
- 3. Competition: Dota 2 is a highly competitive game, with a large esports scene and many tournaments. Players can feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when they win, and the desire to win can be a powerful motivator.
- 4. Social aspects: Dota 2 is a social game, and players often form communities and friendships around the game. This social aspect can be very rewarding, as players feel like they are part of a larger community and can connect with others who share their interests.
- 5. Constant updates: Dota 2 is a game that is constantly evolving, with new heroes, items, and mechanics being added all the time. This constant stream of updates can keep players engaged and interested in the game, as they are always learning something new.
Possible causes of dota 2 dependency
- 1. Rewarding gameplay: Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena game that provides players with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when they win matches or complete objectives. The reward system can be addictive, and players may want to keep playing to experience more successes.
- 2. Social interaction: Dota 2 is a team game that requires players to communicate and work together to win. The social interaction and sense of belonging to a community can be addictive.
- 3. Escapism: Some players may use Dota 2 as a way to escape from real-life problems or stresses. They may find the game to be a way to relax and forget about their problems temporarily.
- 4. Competition: Dota 2 is a highly competitive game, and some players may become addicted to the thrill of competition and the desire to improve their skills.
- 5. Psychological factors: Some individuals may be more prone to addiction due to underlying psychological factors such as depression, anxiety, or low self-esteem. Dota 2 addiction may be a way for them to cope with these issues.
Signs & Symptoms of dota 2 addiction
Now let’s see if you have the dota 2 addiction problem.
- 1. You prioritize playing Dota 2 over other responsibilities: If you find yourself skipping meals, neglecting work or studies, or ignoring social obligations to play Dota 2, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 2. You play for extended periods of time: If you find yourself playing Dota 2 for hours on end without taking breaks, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 3. You experience withdrawal symptoms when not playing: If you feel anxious, irritable, or depressed when you can’t play Dota 2, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 4. You obsess over Dota 2: If you find yourself constantly thinking about Dota 2, strategizing, and analyzing your gameplay, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 5. You neglect personal hygiene and health: If you find yourself neglecting basic hygiene, such as showering and brushing your teeth, or neglecting your health, such as skipping meals or not getting enough sleep, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 6. You prioritize Dota 2 over relationships: If you find yourself neglecting your relationships with friends and family to play Dota 2, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 7. You have financial troubles due to Dota 2: If you find yourself spending more money than you can afford on Dota 2 items and in-game currency, it may be a sign of addiction.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of dota 2: should you quit?
What are some benefits of dota 2
There are several pros and advantages of Dota 2 that make it such a great game:
- 1. Strategic gameplay: Dota 2 requires players to think strategically and make quick decisions. This makes the game challenging and keeps players engaged.
- 2. Large player base: Dota 2 has a large player base, which means there are always people to play with and learn from.
- 3. Competitive scene: Dota 2 has a thriving competitive scene, with tournaments and leagues held throughout the year. This makes it a great game for those who enjoy esports.
- 4. Free-to-play: Dota 2 is free-to-play, which means anyone can download and play the game without having to spend any money.
- 5. Regular updates: Dota 2 receives regular updates and new content, which keeps the game fresh and exciting.
- 6. Huge variety of heroes: Dota 2 has a huge roster of heroes, each with their own unique abilities and playstyles. This means that players can experiment with different heroes and find the ones that suit their playstyle best.
- 7. Customizability: Dota 2 allows players to customize their heroes with different items and equipment. This adds another layer of strategy to the game and allows players to express their personal style.
Overall, Dota 2 is a great game because of its strategic gameplay, competitive scene, large player base, regular updates, huge variety of heroes, and customizability.But at the opposite, what can be some dota 2 addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Playing Dota 2 can have both positive and negative effects on your health. Here are some of them:
- 1. Improves Cognitive Function: Dota 2 requires players to use their cognitive skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, and critical thinking. Playing Dota 2 regularly can improve these skills and enhance cognitive function.
- 2. Improves Hand-Eye Coordination: Dota 2 involves a lot of clicking, moving the mouse, and using keyboard shortcuts. This can improve your hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
- 3. Reduces Stress: Playing Dota 2 can be a great way to reduce stress and unwind after a long day. It can also help in reducing anxiety and depression.
- 4. Builds Social Connections: Dota 2 is a team game that requires players to communicate and work together. This can help in building social connections and improving social skills.
- 1. Eye Strain: Playing Dota 2 for long periods can cause eye strain, headaches, and blurred vision. It is important to take regular breaks and rest your eyes.
- 2. Physical Inactivity: Sitting in front of a computer for long periods can lead to physical inactivity, which can increase the risk of obesity and other health problems.
- 3. Addiction: Dota 2 can be addictive, and some players may find it difficult to stop playing even when it starts affecting their daily life.
- 4. Sleep Disturbances: Playing Dota 2 late at night can disrupt sleep patterns, leading to fatigue and other health problems.
Overall, Dota 2 can have both positive and negative effects on your health. It is important to balance gaming with other healthy activities and take breaks to avoid overuse injuries and other health problems.
dota 2 and sleep disorder
There is no direct evidence to suggest that playing Dota 2 can cause sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, playing video games, in general, may affect sleep patterns if played close to bedtime or for prolonged periods. The blue light emitted from screens can interfere with the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep, and the mental stimulation from playing a game can make it difficult to wind down and fall asleep. It is recommended to limit screen time before bedtime and create a relaxing sleep environment to promote healthy sleep habits.
dota 2 affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of dota 2 on your brain
Playing Dota 2 excessively can have negative effects on your brain, some of which include:
- 1. Addiction: Dota 2 is highly addictive and can lead to compulsive behavior. This can cause individuals to neglect important aspects of their lives such as work, relationships, and health.
- 2. Cognitive decline: Spending too much time playing Dota 2 can lead to cognitive decline. This can affect memory, attention span, and decision-making abilities.
- 3. Insomnia: Playing Dota 2 late at night can disrupt your sleep schedule and lead to insomnia. This can have negative effects on your physical and mental health.
- 4. Anxiety and depression: Dota 2 can be a stressful game, and excessive gameplay can lead to anxiety and depression. This can be especially true for individuals who are already prone to these conditions.
- 5. Aggression: Dota 2 is a competitive game that can lead to feelings of frustration and anger. This can cause individuals to become more aggressive in real life.
Overall, while playing Dota 2 in moderation can be a fun and enjoyable experience, excessive gameplay can have negative effects on your brain and overall well-being.
Some effects of dota 2 on your mental health
- 1. Addiction: Dota 2 can be very addictive, leading to players spending long hours playing the game, which can result in sleep deprivation, neglecting responsibilities, and even depression.
- 2. Anxiety: The high-stress environment of Dota 2 can lead to players experiencing anxiety, especially during competitive matches.
- 3. Anger and frustration: Losing in Dota 2 can be frustrating and can lead to players becoming angry and lashing out at their teammates, which can negatively impact their mental health.
- 4. Social isolation: Spending too much time playing Dota 2 can lead to social isolation, which can lead to feelings of loneliness and depression.
- 5. Low self-esteem: Constantly losing in Dota 2 or not performing well can lead to a decrease in self-esteem, which can negatively affect mental health.
- 6. Burnout: Playing Dota 2 for long periods can lead to burnout, which can cause players to lose interest in the game and experience feelings of apathy or depression.
- 7. Poor impulse control: Dota 2 can lead to poor impulse control, as players may become impulsive in their decision-making and actions while playing the game. This can negatively impact their mental health and overall well-being.
Does dota 2 cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing Dota 2 can cause stress and anxiety for some players. The competitive nature of the game, combined with the pressure to perform well and the potential for negative feedback from teammates, can lead to feelings of stress and anxiety.
Additionally, the game requires a significant amount of focus and attention, which can be mentally exhausting for some players. It is important to take breaks and practice self-care when playing Dota 2 or any other competitive game to avoid burnout and negative effects on mental health.
Can dota 2 addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, Dota 2 addiction can lead to sadness and depression. The game can become an escape from reality and players may neglect important responsibilities and relationships. This can lead to feelings of guilt and shame, which can contribute to depression.
Additionally, losing matches or not performing well can lead to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem, which can also contribute to depression. It is important for players to recognize the signs of addiction and seek help if they are struggling to control their gaming habits.
Dopamine and dota 2
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in the brain’s reward system. It is released when we experience pleasure or receive a reward, and it reinforces behaviors that lead to those experiences.
Dota 2 is a popular video game that involves strategic gameplay and teamwork. Many gamers experience a rush of dopamine when they achieve a victory or make progress in the game. This rush of dopamine can lead to a feeling of satisfaction and can motivate players to continue playing and improving their skills.
However, excessive gaming can also lead to addiction and negative consequences on mental health and other aspects of life. It is important to maintain a balance and healthy relationship with gaming to avoid negative effects.
dota 2 effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Yes, playing Dota 2 can potentially affect focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. This is because Dota 2 is a highly immersive and engaging game that can easily lead to addiction and distract players from other tasks and responsibilities.
Studies have shown that excessive gaming can lead to decreased academic performance, reduced attention span, and poor social skills.
Additionally, playing Dota 2 for extended periods of time can also lead to physical health problems such as eye strain, back pain, and poor posture.
It is important for players to set limits on their gaming time and prioritize their responsibilities and tasks outside of the game. Moderation and balance are key to maintaining a healthy and productive lifestyle while still enjoying Dota 2 or any other form of entertainment.
A word about ADHD and dota 2
It is possible that people with ADHD may interact differently with Dota 2 compared to those without ADHD. ADHD can affect attention span, impulsivity, and hyperactivity, which could impact gameplay. People with ADHD may struggle with focusing on the game for extended periods, have difficulty making strategic decisions, and may act impulsively in the game. However, it is important to note that everyone with ADHD is different, and some may not experience these difficulties while playing Dota 2.
Additionally, accommodations such as taking breaks or using strategies to improve focus may help individuals with ADHD better engage with the game.
affecting your relationships
dota 2 and self-esteem
Dota 2 can have a significant impact on a player’s self-esteem. Here are some ways in which Dota 2 can affect self-esteem:
- 1. Winning and losing: Winning in Dota 2 can boost a player’s self-esteem, while losing can have the opposite effect. Losing repeatedly can make a player feel frustrated and demotivated.
- 2. Skill level: Dota 2 is a highly competitive game, and players who feel they are not skilled enough may experience a hit to their self-esteem. Comparing oneself to other players and feeling inferior can be detrimental to one’s self-confidence.
- 3. Feedback: Feedback from other players can also impact self-esteem. Negative comments or criticisms can make a player feel bad about themselves, while positive feedback can boost their confidence.
- 4. Personal goals: Setting personal goals in Dota 2 and achieving them can be a source of pride and boost self-esteem. However, failing to achieve these goals can have the opposite effect.
Overall, Dota 2 can have both positive and negative effects on a player’s self-esteem, depending on their experiences and mindset. It’s important for players to maintain a healthy perspective and not let their self-esteem be solely defined by their performance in the game.
dota 2 addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, Dota 2 addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness. When someone becomes addicted to Dota 2, they may spend long hours playing the game alone, neglecting social interactions and relationships with friends and family. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation, as well as a lack of social support and connection. In extreme cases, Dota 2 addiction can even lead to social withdrawal and depression. It is important to maintain a balance between playing Dota 2 and other aspects of life, including social and family relationships, work, and hobbies, to avoid the negative consequences of addiction.
Effects of dota 2 on your relationship
Positive effects of Dota 2 on your relationship:
- 1. Shared hobby: Playing Dota 2 together can be a great way for couples to bond over a shared hobby. It can help strengthen the relationship by providing a common interest.
- 2. Teamwork: Dota 2 is a team game, which means that couples can work together to achieve a common goal. This can help improve communication and build teamwork skills.
- 3. Fun and enjoyment: Playing Dota 2 together can be a fun and enjoyable activity for couples. It can help create positive memories and experiences that can strengthen the relationship.
Negative effects of Dota 2 on your relationship:
- 1. Time-consuming: Dota 2 can be a very time-consuming game, and playing it too much can take away time that couples could spend together. It can also lead to neglecting other important aspects of the relationship.
- 2. Stressful: Dota 2 can be a very stressful game, and couples who play it together may experience tension and frustration when things don’t go well in the game. This can sometimes spill over into the relationship.
- 3. Competitive: Dota 2 is a highly competitive game, and couples who play it together may become overly competitive with each other. This can lead to arguments and conflicts that can negatively impact the relationship.
How To Stop & quit Your dota 2 Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to dota 2 and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for dota 2?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your dota 2 addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the dota 2 addiction
Here are some general steps that may help in getting rid of Dota 2 addiction:
- 1. Acknowledge the addiction: The first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem with Dota 2 addiction. It’s important to recognize that it’s affecting your personal and professional life.
- 2. Set goals: Set goals for yourself to reduce your Dota 2 playing time. This could be a gradual reduction over time or a complete cessation of playing.
- 3. Seek support: Seek support from family and friends who can help you through this process. You can also join support groups or seek professional help.
- 4. Engage in other activities: Find other activities that you enjoy and spend more time doing those. This will help to replace Dota 2 as your primary source of entertainment.
- 5. Practice self-discipline: Practice self-discipline by setting limits on your Dota 2 playing time and sticking to them.
- 6. Remove triggers: Remove triggers that lead you to play Dota 2. This could be uninstalling the game or removing it from your computer or mobile device.
- 7. Stay positive: Stay positive and keep reminding yourself of the benefits of reducing your Dota 2 addiction.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including dota 2:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of dota 2
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your dota 2 accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: