Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the dark souls addiction.
- What’s the dark souls addiction?
- Addiction to dark souls, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered dark souls addiction
- How much dark souls is too much?
- Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the dark souls addiction
- Why is dark souls so addictive?
- Possible causes of dark souls dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dark souls addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of dark souls
- Some benefits of dark souls
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your dark souls addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the dark souls addiction
- Best dark souls blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with dark souls addiction
- Best books about Video games addiction
- Research about Video games addiction
What is the dark souls addiction?
About dark souls
Dark Souls is an action role-playing game known for its challenging gameplay and immersive atmosphere. Players explore a dark fantasy world filled with monsters and bosses, while using various weapons and magic to survive.
Addiction to dark souls, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes dark souls addiction?
No, Dark Souls addiction is not listed in the DSM-5. The DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) is the official manual used by mental health professionals to diagnose mental health disorders.
So what means “dark souls addiction”?
Dark Souls addiction is a term used to describe the intense, obsessive relationship many players have with the Dark Souls series of video games. The games are notoriously difficult and challenging, making them attractive to players who take pleasure from overcoming difficult obstacles or mastering complex mechanics. Many players find themselves drawn to the world of Dark Souls and its lore, often spending hundreds of hours exploring and mastering the game.
What is considered dark souls addiction?
- 1. Spending excessive amounts of time playing Dark Souls, neglecting other activities (e.g. school, work, social life).
- 2. Becoming engrossed in Dark Souls and feeling an inability to stop playing.
- 3. Feeling irritable or anxious when not playing Dark Souls.
- 4. Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when deprived of Dark Souls, such as restlessness, agitation, or depression.
- 5. Having difficulty focusing on tasks or activities unrelated to Dark Souls.
- 6. Feeling a strong compulsion to play Dark Souls, despite negative consequences.
- 7. Sacrificing sleep, hygiene, or nutrition in order to play Dark Souls.
- 8. Preoccupation with Dark Souls and thinking about how to play it even when not playing.
- 9. Engaging in risky behaviors in order to continue playing Dark Souls (e.g. staying up late, playing when tired, etc.).
- 10. Neglecting family, friends, and responsibilities in order to play Dark Souls.
How much dark souls is too much?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the individual and their own comfort level. Some people may find they can spend hours playing Dark Souls without any adverse effects, while others may find that playing the game for too long can cause them to become overwhelmed or stressed. It is important to find a balance between playing the game and taking breaks in order to ensure that the experience remains enjoyable.
Some Video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the dark souls addiction widespread?
Some players may become addicted to the game’s mechanics, lore, and difficulty, leading them to spend hours playing and replaying the game. However, it’s important to note that addiction is a serious issue and should be addressed and treated if it interferes with daily life and responsibilities.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of dark souls addiction
Why is dark souls so addictive?
Dark Souls is an incredibly difficult, yet rewarding game that requires dedication and skill. The difficulty of the game gives players a sense of accomplishment when they finally beat a level or boss. The game also offers a great sense of exploration and discovery as players explore a rich and vast world. The immense variety in builds and strategies means that no two playthroughs are ever the same.
Additionally, the unique online features offer a great way to interact with other players and get help when needed.
Possible causes of dark souls dependency
- 1. The challenge: Dark Souls is an extremely challenging game, with high levels of difficulty and a steep learning curve. This challenge can be extremely rewarding for players, providing a sense of accomplishment when they overcome obstacles and progress through the game.
- 2. The atmosphere: The atmosphere of Dark Souls is dark and mysterious, with a rich and immersive story. This allows players to get lost in the game and feel as if they are part of the world.
- 3. The community: Dark Souls has a loyal and passionate fan base, making it easy for players to connect with each other and share tips and strategies. This encourages players to keep coming back to the game and discussing it with others.
- 4. The rewards: Dark Souls rewards players with unique items, such as unique weapons and armor, as well as the satisfaction of completing difficult challenges. This encourages players to keep playing and trying to get better.
Signs & Symptoms of dark souls addiction
Now let’s see if you have the dark souls addiction problem.
- 1. You can’t go a day without thinking about the game.
- 2. You often find yourself replaying levels or bosses just to get a better score.
- 3. You know all the enemy types, their weaknesses and where to find them.
- 4. You can’t help but feel a sense of accomplishment after each boss fight.
- 5. You’ve memorized all the shortcuts and hidden pathways in each level.
- 6. You find yourself getting frustrated when people complain about the game’s difficulty.
- 7. You’ve clocked up hours of playtime and still can’t get enough.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of dark souls: should you quit?
What are some benefits of dark souls
- 1. Challenging but rewarding gameplay: Dark Souls offers a challenging yet rewarding experience that keeps players coming back for more. The game requires skill and patience to master, but the rewards are worth it.
- 2. Unique combat system: Dark Souls has a unique combat system that allows players to make use of various strategies and techniques to defeat their enemies.
- 3. Exploration: Dark Souls encourages players to explore the world and find secrets and hidden areas. The game also offers a variety of weapons and items to help players on their journey.
- 4. Engaging atmosphere: Dark Souls has a unique dark atmosphere that draws players in and keeps them coming back for more.
- 5. Online play: Dark Souls allows players to enjoy the game in a variety of ways by playing with friends online.
Why is Dark Souls so great?
Dark Souls is great because it offers a challenging yet rewarding experience that allows players to make use of various strategies and techniques to defeat their enemies. The game also encourages exploration and offers a unique dark atmosphere that draws players in and keeps them coming back for more. The online play also allows players to enjoy the game in a variety of ways by playing with friends online.But at the opposite, what can be some dark souls addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Sleep Deprivation: Dark Souls can be an incredibly time-consuming game, and players often find themselves staying up late in order to complete levels or explore new areas. This can lead to a lack of sleep and fatigue, which can have serious consequences for physical and mental health.
- 2. Stress: Dark Souls can be a difficult and challenging game, and it is not uncommon for players to feel stressed or overwhelmed. This stress can manifest itself in physical forms such as headaches, fatigue, and muscle tension.
- 3. Anxiety: As with any video game, Dark Souls can cause players to become anxious or fearful of failure or death. This can lead to an increase in anxiety symptoms, such as racing thoughts and difficulty concentrating.
- 4. Repetitive Stress Injuries: Repetitive movements, like those required for playing Dark Souls, can lead to muscle strain and joint pain. Extended play sessions can lead to more serious problems like carpal tunnel syndrome.
Overall, Dark Souls can have a negative impact on physical and mental health if it is not played in moderation. Players should take breaks and ensure they are getting enough sleep, as well as consulting a doctor if they experience any serious physical or mental health issues.
dark souls and sleep disorder
It is possible for playing video games, including Dark Souls, to contribute to sleep problems or disorders if played in excess or close to bedtime. The blue light emitted from electronic devices can suppress the production of melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep, making it more difficult to fall asleep.
Additionally, the intense and stressful nature of Dark Souls gameplay can also contribute to sleep disturbances, such as nightmares or restless sleep. It is important to practice good sleep hygiene by limiting screen time before bed and finding ways to relax and unwind before attempting to sleep.
dark souls affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of dark souls on your brain
- 1. Increased Stress Levels: Dark Souls is an incredibly challenging game that can cause high levels of stress and frustration. This can lead to an increase in cortisol levels in your brain, which can have negative effects on your overall mental health.
- 2. Increased Risk of Depression: The intense challenge of Dark Souls can lead to feelings of defeat and failure, which can increase the risk of depression.
- 3. Poor Sleep Quality: The constant challenge and stress of Dark Souls can lead to difficulty sleeping, resulting in poor sleep quality and exhaustion.
- 4. Increased Aggression: Dark Souls can lead to an increase in aggression and irritability due to the frustration of not being able to progress. This can lead to increased risk of conflict and negative interactions with others.
Some effects of dark souls on your mental health
- 1. Increased Stress and Anxiety: Dark Souls can be an incredibly intense and challenging game, and for some, this can lead to increased levels of stress and anxiety. This can manifest itself in a variety of ways, including irritability, difficulty sleeping, and difficulty concentrating.
- 2. Isolation: Dark Souls is a solitary experience, and some players may find themselves feeling isolated from the outside world. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and depression.
- 3. Loss of Motivation: Dark Souls can be so demanding that it can be difficult for some players to find the motivation to do anything else. This can lead to problems with procrastination and a lack of motivation to complete tasks.
- 4. Aggression: The intensity of Dark Souls can lead some players to display increased levels of aggression, both in the game and in real life. This can cause conflicts with friends and family, and can have a negative effect on relationships.
Does dark souls cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, playing Dark Souls can cause stress and anxiety for some people. The game is known for its difficulty and can be frustrating when repeatedly dying and having to start over. The game’s dark and foreboding atmosphere can also contribute to feelings of tension and anxiety. However, it’s important to note that not everyone will have the same reaction to the game and some may find it enjoyable and rewarding despite the challenges.
Can dark souls addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for addiction to any video game, including Dark Souls, to lead to sadness and depression. Addiction can cause a person to neglect other aspects of their life, such as socializing, exercising, and taking care of their mental health. This can lead to feelings of isolation, loneliness, and low self-esteem, which can contribute to the development of depression.
Additionally, the difficulty and frustration of Dark Souls can exacerbate these negative feelings, leading to a vicious cycle of addiction and depression. It is important to seek help if you or someone you know is struggling with video game addiction or mental health issues.
Dopamine and dark souls
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is associated with pleasure and reward. Dark Souls is a notoriously difficult video game that requires a great deal of skill and perseverance to complete.
Some players may experience a surge of dopamine when they overcome a particularly challenging aspect of the game, such as defeating a difficult boss or discovering a hidden area. This feeling of accomplishment can be very satisfying and drive players to continue playing the game.
However, the difficulty of Dark Souls can also be frustrating and lead to a decrease in dopamine levels if the player is unable to progress. This can result in feelings of stress and dissatisfaction with the game.
Overall, the relationship between dopamine and Dark Souls is complex and can vary depending on the individual player’s experience with the game.
dark souls effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Playing Dark Souls may have both positive and negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance. On one hand, playing video games can improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, and spatial awareness, which can potentially enhance academic performance.
Additionally, playing Dark Souls can provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when overcoming difficult challenges, which may boost motivation and productivity.
On the other hand, playing Dark Souls for extended periods of time can lead to fatigue, eye strain, and decreased attention span, which may negatively impact focus and academic performance. Furthermore, excessive gaming can be addictive and may lead to procrastination and neglect of important responsibilities, which can hinder productivity.
Overall, the impact of playing Dark Souls on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance depends on how much and how often the game is played. It is important to balance gaming with other activities and responsibilities to maintain a healthy and productive lifestyle.
A word about ADHD and dark souls
There is no definitive answer to this question, as each individual with ADHD may have a different experience when playing Dark Souls. However, some research suggests that people with ADHD may be more likely to enjoy fast-paced, intense video games like Dark Souls, as they provide a high level of stimulation and excitement. People with ADHD may also be more likely to engage in impulsive behavior when playing video games, which could lead them to take risks or make bold decisions in the game.
Additionally, people with ADHD may struggle with attention and focus when playing video games, which could make it difficult for them to progress through the game’s challenges. Overall, people with ADHD may have a unique experience when playing Dark Souls, but this will depend on a number of factors, including their individual symptoms, preferences, and gaming skills.
affecting your relationships
dark souls and self-esteem
Dark Souls is a difficult and challenging game that requires a lot of patience, skill, and perseverance to complete. For some players, successfully completing the game can lead to feelings of accomplishment and increased self-esteem. However, for others, the constant failure and frustration can have a negative impact on self-esteem.
Repeated failure in the game can cause players to feel helpless and incompetent, leading to low self-esteem.
Additionally, comparing one’s progress in the game to others can also negatively impact self-esteem, especially if others seem to be progressing faster or with less difficulty.
On the other hand, overcoming challenges in the game and achieving success can lead to a sense of accomplishment and increased self-confidence. The feeling of mastering a difficult task in the game can translate to real-life situations and boost self-esteem.
Overall, the impact of Dark Souls on self-esteem can vary from person to person, with success or failure in the game having different effects on their self-perception.
dark souls addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, it is possible for addiction to Dark Souls or any video game to lead to isolation and loneliness. Many people who become addicted to video games may begin to prioritize them over socializing and other activities, leading to a lack of social connections and feelings of loneliness. This can be especially true for games like Dark Souls, which can be very time-consuming and challenging, leading players to spend hours alone in front of their screens.
Additionally, the intensity and focus required to play the game may make it difficult for players to find enjoyment in other activities or to connect with others who do not share their interest in the game. It is important for individuals who are struggling with addiction to seek help and to find ways to balance their gaming habits with other aspects of their lives.
Effects of dark souls on your relationship
- 1. Shared interest – Playing Dark Souls together can create a shared interest between partners, which can lead to increased bonding and communication.
- 2. Teamwork – Dark Souls can require teamwork and collaboration, which can strengthen the relationship between partners.
- 3. Problem-solving skills – Playing Dark Souls can improve problem-solving skills, which can be applied to real-life situations and lead to mutual respect.
- 4. Stress relief – Playing Dark Souls can be a stress reliever, which can help partners relax and enjoy each other’s company.
- 1. Time consumption – Playing Dark Souls can be time-consuming, which can lead to neglect of the relationship and other responsibilities.
- 2. Frustration and anger – Dark Souls can be a difficult game, which can lead to frustration and anger, potentially causing tension in the relationship.
- 3. Competitive behavior – Playing Dark Souls can bring out competitive behavior, which can lead to arguments and tension in the relationship.
- 4. Isolation – Playing Dark Souls for extended periods of time can lead to isolation from the partner, potentially causing feelings of neglect or abandonment.
How To Stop & quit Your dark souls Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to dark souls and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for dark souls?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your dark souls addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the dark souls addiction
- 1. Recognize the Problem: It is important to recognize and accept the fact that you have a problem and that you need help.
- 2. Seek Professional Help: A professional can help you understand the nature of your addiction and provide guidance in treatment options.
- 3. Develop Coping Skills: Developing healthy coping skills is an important part of recovery. This includes learning how to deal with stress, finding healthy ways to fill your time, and developing healthier relationships.
- 4. Get Support: Joining a support group or reaching out to a trusted friend or family member can help keep you accountable and provide a sense of community.
- 5. Make Positive Changes: Make changes in your life that support recovery. This includes avoiding triggers, developing a healthy lifestyle, and setting up a support system.
- 6. Seek Treatment: If your addiction is too severe, seek professional treatment to address the underlying causes of your addiction.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including dark souls:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of dark souls
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your dark souls accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: