Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the among us addiction.
- What’s the among us addiction?
- Addiction to among us, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered among us addiction
- How much among us is too much?
- Some video games addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the among us addiction
- Why is among us so addictive?
- Possible causes of among us dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of among us addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of among us
- Some benefits of among us
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your among us addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the among us addiction
- Best among us blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with among us addiction
- Best books about video games addiction
- Research about video games addiction
What is the among us addiction?
About among us
Among Us is an online multiplayer game where players complete tasks on a spaceship while trying to identify and eliminate an impostor.
Addiction to among us, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes among us addiction?
No, among us addiction is not listed in the DSM-5.
So what means “among us addiction”?
Among Us addiction is an unofficial term used to describe the phenomenon of people spending an excessive amount of time playing the online game Among Us. It is characterized by players being unable to stop playing the game despite its negative effects on their lives. Players may also feel a compulsive need to play the game and may become anxious or irritable if they are unable to do so.
What is considered among us addiction?
- 1. Preoccupation with the game: Do you often find yourself thinking about playing Among Us, or talking about it with friends? Do you often find yourself wanting to play it even when you have other commitments?
- 2. Loss of control: Do you find it difficult to cut back on the amount of time you spend playing Among Us, despite your best intentions?
- 3. Disregard for consequences: Do you find yourself playing Among Us even when you know it has negative consequences for your life, such as missing out on sleep, or skipping meals?
- 4. Increased tolerance: Do you find yourself needing to play more and more of Among Us in order to get the same satisfaction you used to get from playing it for a shorter period of time?
- 5. Withdrawal symptoms: Do you experience physical or emotional distress when you are not playing Among Us?
How much among us is too much?
This is a difficult question to answer since it depends on the individual and their lifestyle. Generally speaking, it is important to find a balance between gaming and other activities. Playing too much of any game can lead to addiction and neglect of other important activities. If you find yourself spending too much time on Among Us, it may be a good idea to take a break and pursue other activities.
Some video games addiction facts & statistics
Video game addiction, also known as gaming disorder, is a relatively new phenomenon and the statistics vary depending on the source and definition of addiction. Here are some statistics related to video game addiction:
1. According to a survey conducted by the Entertainment Software Association, 65% of American adults play video games, and the average age of a video gamer is 35 years old.
2. According to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, approximately 8.5% of adolescents in the United States meet the criteria for video game addiction.
3. The World Health Organization (WHO) included gaming disorder as a diagnosable conditionin the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11.. The WHO estimates that gaming disorder affects 3-4% of gamers.
4. According to a study published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research, gamers who play for more than 40 hours per week are more likely to report depression, anxiety, and lower overall life satisfaction.
5. A study conducted by the University of Oxford found that playing video games for less than an hour per day was associated with higher levels of well-being, while those who played for more than three hours per day had lower levels of well-being.
It is important to note that not all video game usage is considered addiction, and many people are able to enjoy video games in a healthy and balanced way.
Is the among us addiction widespread?
Among Us has gained massive popularity since its release in 2018, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, where many people have turned to online games to keep themselves entertained. It is possible that some individuals may become addicted to the game, but it is important to maintain a healthy balance between playing and other aspects of life.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of among us addiction
Why is among us so addictive?
Among Us is addictive because it’s a social game that encourages players to work together and build trust, while also trying to find the imposter so they can win the game. It also has a lot of replayability, since the game is randomly generated each time and no two games are ever the same. Finally, the game is easy to pick up and play, which makes it great for casual gamers.
Possible causes of among us dependency
- 1. Easy to learn and play: Among Us is an incredibly easy game to learn and play, with its simple controls and intuitive objectives. This makes it an ideal game for players of all ages and skill levels.
- 2. Social interaction: One of the main appeals of Among Us is the social interaction it provides. Players can talk and strategize with one another via text or voice chat.
- 3. Quick rounds: Rounds of Among Us are typically very quick, which makes it ideal for players who don’t have a lot of time to play.
- 4. Competitive nature: Another draw of Among Us is its competitive nature. In addition to working together as a team, players can also compete to be the first one to complete tasks or identify the impostor.
- 5. Community: Finally, the Among Us community is very active, with frequent updates and events. This can help keep players engaged and interested in the game.
Signs & Symptoms of among us addiction
Now let’s see if you have the among us addiction problem.
- 1. You are constantly looking for new lobbies to join.
- 2. You have seen all the map designs.
- 3. You are always talking about Among Us with your friends.
- 4. You often find yourself trying to figure out who the Imposter is.
- 5. You have memorized all the tasks in each map.
- 6. You have become very good at catching Imposter’s when they are sabotaging.
- 7. You play Among Us more than any other game.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of among us: should you quit?
What are some benefits of among us
Pros of Among Us:
- 1. Easy to Learn – Among Us is a very easy game to learn and understand, with a simple yet effective premise that anyone can understand.
- 2. Social Interaction – Among Us encourages meaningful social interaction, as players work together to figure out who the impostor is, and then strategize on how to kick them out of the game.
- 3. Fun & Addictive – The game can be incredibly fun and addictive, as players must use their wits to try and outsmart the impostor.
- 4. Cross-Platform – Among Us is available on various platforms, including PC, iOS, and Android, making it accessible to a wide variety of players.
- 5. Variety of Maps – Among Us offers a variety of different maps, allowing players to explore new spaces and find new strategies.
- 6. Customization – Players can customize their character’s appearance and name, allowing them to create a unique identity within the game.
But at the opposite, what can be some among us addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Increased Anxiety: Playing Among Us can lead to increased levels of anxiety and stress due to its intense and competitive atmosphere.
- 2. Lack of Sleep: Spending too much time playing Among Us can lead to a lack of sleep, which can lead to other health problems such as headaches, fatigue, and irritability.
- 3. Unhealthy Habits: Playing Among Us can lead to unhealthy habits such as overeating, smoking, and excessive alcohol consumption.
- 4. Eye Strain: Prolonged use of digital devices can lead to eye strain, blurred vision, and headaches.
among us and sleep disorder
Playing Among Us itself does not create sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, playing the game for extended periods of time, especially late at night, can disrupt your sleep schedule and lead to sleep deprivation.
Additionally, the blue light emitted by electronic screens can interfere with the natural production of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep. It is important to set boundaries and prioritize getting enough sleep to prevent sleep problems.
among us affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of among us on your brain
- 1. Increased Stress: Playing Among Us can lead to increased levels of stress, especially if the game becomes competitive. This can lead to headaches, fatigue, and other physical symptoms.
- 2. Poor Concentration: Playing online games can lead to a lack of concentration, which can affect your performance at work or school.
- 3. Limited Social Interaction: Since the game is primarily online, it can lead to fewer real-life social interactions and relationships.
- 4. Addiction: If you find yourself playing the game too much, it can lead to addiction, which can have serious repercussions on your mental and physical health.
Some effects of among us on your mental health
- 1. Increased Anxiety: Playing Among Us can lead to an increase in anxiety and stress levels. The game involves making quick decisions and having to trust other players, which can lead to feelings of anxiety and stress.
- 2. Distraction from Real Life: Spending too much time playing Among Us can lead to a lack of focus on other tasks, such as school work or social activities. This can lead to a decrease in productivity and ultimately, a decrease in general well-being.
- 3. Sleep Deprivation: Spending too much time playing Among Us can lead to loss of sleep, which can cause fatigue and lack of concentration. This can also lead to anxiety and stress.
- 4. Decreased Social Skills: Spending too much time playing Among Us can lead to a decrease in social skills. This can be especially true for younger players who spend too much time playing the game, as it can lead to a decrease in communication and interpersonal skills.
Does among us cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, Among Us can cause stress or anxiety for some people. The game involves deception, suspicion, and social deduction, which can be challenging and emotionally taxing for some players.
Additionally, the pressure to perform well and not be voted off can also cause stress and anxiety. It is important to take breaks and prioritize self-care if playing video games, including Among Us, starts to negatively affect one’s mental health.
Can among us addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, excessive playing of Among Us or any other video game can lead to sadness and depression. Addiction to video games can lead to social isolation, lack of sleep, poor academic or work performance, and neglect of personal responsibilities, which can all contribute to feelings of sadness and depression.
Additionally, the dopamine rush that comes from playing video games can become addictive, leading to a lack of enjoyment in other activities and a feeling of emptiness when not playing the game. It is important to recognize the signs of addiction and seek help if necessary.
Dopamine and among us
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a crucial role in the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. It is responsible for feelings of pleasure, motivation, and reinforcement of behavior. In the game Among Us, dopamine is released when players successfully complete tasks or when they identify and vote off an imposter. This release of dopamine reinforces the behavior of playing the game and motivates players to continue playing. The social interaction and sense of accomplishment from playing the game can also contribute to the release of dopamine. Overall, dopamine plays a significant role in the enjoyment and motivation to play Among Us.
among us effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Playing Among Us may have both positive and negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance.
On one hand, playing Among Us can improve focus, attention span, and problem-solving skills as players need to pay attention to details and make quick decisions. It can also improve social skills and teamwork as players need to communicate and work together to achieve a common goal.
However, excessive playing of Among Us, especially during important academic periods, can lead to decreased productivity and academic performance. If students prioritize playing the game over studying or completing assignments, it can negatively impact their grades and overall academic success.
In summary, playing Among Us in moderation can have positive effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and social skills, but excessive playing can have negative effects on academic performance. It is important for individuals to balance their leisure activities with their responsibilities and prioritize their academic success.
A word about ADHD and among us
It is possible that people with ADHD may interact differently with Among Us compared to those without ADHD. ADHD can affect a person’s ability to focus for extended periods of time, which may make it more challenging to pay attention to the game and its rules.
Additionally, individuals with ADHD may be more impulsive and have difficulty inhibiting their behaviors, which could impact their decision making and gameplay strategies. However, it’s important to note that ADHD affects each individual differently, and some people with ADHD may not experience these challenges while playing Among Us.
affecting your relationships
among us and self-esteem
Among Us can affect self-esteem in different ways depending on the player’s experience and mindset. Here are some possible scenarios:
- 1. Positive experience: If a player enjoys playing Among Us and is successful in completing tasks, finding imposters, and winning games, it can boost their self-esteem. The sense of accomplishment and validation from other players can make them feel confident and capable.
- 2. Negative experience: On the other hand, if a player struggles to play Among Us, gets killed often, accused of being an imposter, or loses games frequently, it can lower their self-esteem. They may feel frustrated, embarrassed, or judged by others, which can damage their confidence and motivation to keep playing.
- 3. Social comparison: Among Us is a multiplayer game, which means players can compare themselves to others in terms of skill, popularity, or reputation. If a player perceives others as better than them, it can trigger feelings of inferiority, envy, or self-doubt. Conversely, if a player feels superior to others, it can lead to arrogance, entitlement, or disdain.
- 4. Cyberbullying: Unfortunately, some players may use Among Us as a platform for cyberbullying, harassment, or trolling. If a player becomes a target of such behavior, it can have a severe impact on their self-esteem, mental health, and well-being. They may feel isolated, helpless, or traumatized, which can affect their ability to enjoy the game or interact with others.
Overall, Among Us can influence self-esteem through various factors such as gameplay, social dynamics, and online behavior. It’s essential for players to be aware of their emotions, boundaries, and values while playing the game and seek support if necessary.
among us addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, addiction to any activity or game, including Among Us, can lead to isolation and loneliness. When an individual spends excessive amounts of time playing a game like Among Us, they may neglect their social life, family, and other responsibilities. This can lead to isolation and loneliness as they become disconnected from their loved ones and social support network.
Additionally, addiction to gaming can cause individuals to feel a sense of shame or embarrassment, leading to further isolation and loneliness. It is important for individuals to maintain a balance between their gaming activities and other aspects of their life to prevent addiction and maintain healthy social connections.
Effects of among us on your relationship
- 1. Enhancing teamwork and communication: Playing Among Us requires players to work together and communicate effectively to identify the imposter and win the game. This can improve teamwork and communication skills, which can translate to better communication and teamwork in real-life relationships.
- 2. Providing a shared activity: Playing Among Us together can provide a shared activity that couples or friends can enjoy together, which can strengthen their bond and provide a shared interest.
- 3. Reducing stress: Playing Among Us can be a fun and entertaining way to reduce stress and unwind after a long day.
- 1. Causing arguments and conflicts: Playing Among Us can sometimes lead to arguments and conflicts, especially if accusations are made or if someone is falsely accused of being the imposter.
- 2. Taking up too much time: Playing Among Us can be addictive and time-consuming, which can lead to neglecting other responsibilities or activities.
- 3. Creating a competitive atmosphere: Playing Among Us can sometimes create a competitive atmosphere that may not be healthy for relationships, especially if someone is always trying to win or if someone is overly competitive.
How To Stop & quit Your among us Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to among us and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for among us?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your among us addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the among us addiction
- 1. Recognize the Signs: Pay attention to the amount of time you are spending playing Among Us and any changes in your behavior.
- 2. Set Limits: Create a schedule for yourself and try to stick to it. Set realistic goals for yourself and set aside time for other activities.
- 3. Take Breaks: Take regular breaks from playing the game. Find other activities that you enjoy doing or start a new hobby.
- 4. Reach out for Support: Talk to someone you trust about your addiction and ask for help. Consider joining a support group or speaking to a therapist.
- 5. Learn Stress Management: Practice stress management techniques like yoga, meditation, or mindfulness to help you stay calm and focused.
- 6. Monitor Your Progress: Track your progress and how much time you are spending playing the game. Celebrate small wins and be honest with yourself when you slip up.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including among us:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of among us
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your among us accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: