Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the amazon shopping addiction.
- What’s the amazon shopping addiction?
- Addiction to amazon shopping, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered amazon shopping addiction
- How much amazon shopping is too much?
- Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the amazon shopping addiction
- Why is amazon shopping so addictive?
- Possible causes of amazon shopping dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon shopping addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon shopping
- Some benefits of amazon shopping
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your amazon shopping addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the amazon shopping addiction
- Best amazon shopping blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with amazon shopping addiction
- Best books about online shopping addiction
- Research about online shopping addiction
What is the amazon shopping addiction?
About amazon shopping
Amazon shopping is an online shopping platform where customers can browse and purchase products from a wide range of categories including electronics, fashion, home & kitchen, and many more. It offers a convenient and efficient shopping experience with fast delivery options and competitive prices.
Addiction to amazon shopping, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes amazon shopping addiction?
No, Amazon shopping addiction is not listed as a specific disorder in the DSM-5. However, it may fall under the category of “Internet Gaming Disorder” or “Internet Addiction Disorder” which are currently listed as conditions for further study in the DSM-5. It is important to note that excessive shopping on Amazon or any other platform can still have negative consequences on an individual’s financial, social, and emotional wellbeing.
So what means “amazon shopping addiction”?
Amazon shopping addiction is a compulsive behavior where an individual becomes excessively preoccupied with shopping on Amazon.com. This addiction can lead to spending excessive amounts of money on items that the individual does not need or cannot afford, causing financial problems and even affecting their personal relationships and daily life. Symptoms of Amazon shopping addiction may include constant browsing of Amazon, difficulty controlling the urge to purchase items, feeling guilty or ashamed after shopping, and neglecting other responsibilities in order to shop online. It is important to seek help if you or someone you know is struggling with Amazon shopping addiction.
What is considered amazon shopping addiction?
There are several criteria that can indicate an addiction to Amazon shopping:
- 1. Spending more money on Amazon than intended: If you find yourself spending more money on Amazon than you planned, and it’s becoming a regular occurrence, it could be a sign of addiction.
- 2. Difficulty controlling the urge to shop on Amazon: If you feel like you can’t resist the urge to shop on Amazon, even when you know it’s not financially responsible or necessary, it could be a sign of addiction.
- 3. Neglecting other responsibilities: If you’re spending so much time shopping on Amazon that you’re neglecting other responsibilities, such as work, school, or personal relationships, it could be a sign of addiction.
- 4. Feeling anxious or irritable when not able to shop on Amazon: If you feel anxious or irritable when you can’t shop on Amazon for an extended period, it could be a sign of addiction.
- 5. Hiding Amazon purchases or lying about the amount spent: If you’re hiding Amazon purchases from loved ones or lying about how much money you’ve spent, it could be a sign of addiction.
- 6. Continuing to shop on Amazon despite negative consequences: If you continue to shop on Amazon even when it’s causing financial or personal problems, it could be a sign of addiction.
If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms, it may be helpful to seek professional help to address the addiction.
How much amazon shopping is too much?
The amount of time spent on Amazon shopping that is considered too much is subjective and can vary depending on an individual’s personal circumstances and priorities. If online shopping is interfering with daily responsibilities, finances, or social life, then it may be time to reassess and adjust the amount of time spent on Amazon shopping. It is important to maintain a healthy balance between online activities and other important aspects of life.
Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
We can provide you with some statistics related to online shopping addiction:
- 1. According to a study by CouponFollow, 57% of online shoppers admit to making a purchase they regretteddue to compulsive shopping behavior.
- 2. A survey conducted by Finder.com found that 23% of Americans have made a purchase they regretted while under the influence of alcohol, highlighting how impulsive online shopping can be.
- 3. A study by Harris Poll found that 81% of Americans have made an online purchase in the past year, and 20% of those shoppers made purchases at least once a week.
- 4. According to a survey by Statista, 42% of online shoppers in the US reported spending more moneyonline than they had intended.
- 5. A study by the University of California, San Francisco found that online shopping addiction affects approximately 5.5% of the US population.
Is the amazon shopping addiction widespread?
According to a 2018 survey by Feedvisor, approximately 85% of Amazon Prime members in the United States make at least one purchase per month, and 46% make purchases once a week or more. This suggests that there is a significant number of people who regularly use Amazon for their shopping needs.
Additionally, there have been reports of individuals experiencing addiction-like behaviors towards online shopping, including Amazon shopping.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon shopping addiction
Why is amazon shopping so addictive?
From a psychological standpoint, there are several reasons why Amazon shopping can be addictive:
1. Convenience: Amazon offers a vast selection of products at competitive prices, with fast and reliable delivery options. This convenience makes it easy to shop impulsively and frequently.
2. Personalization: Amazon uses algorithms to personalize product recommendations based on a customer’s browsing and purchasing history. This can create a sense of excitement and anticipation for the next recommended item.
3. Social proof: Amazon’s customer review system provides social proof of a product’s quality and popularity. This can create a sense of urgency to purchase a product before it sells out or receives negative reviews.
4. Cognitive bias: The human brain is wired to seek pleasure and avoid pain. The act of shopping and receiving packages can trigger the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward.
Overall, Amazon shopping can be addictive due to the combination of convenience, personalization, social proof, and the neurological reward system.
Possible causes of amazon shopping dependency
To answer your question, here are some possible causes of Amazon shopping addiction:
- 1. Easy accessibility: Amazon is easily accessible through smartphones, tablets, and computers, making it easy for people to shop anytime and anywhere.
- 2. Convenience: Amazon offers free shipping and fast delivery services, making it convenient for people to receive their purchases quickly.
- 3. Wide range of products: Amazon has a massive inventory of products, including rare and hard-to-find items, making it very attractive for people who are looking for a specific item.
- 4. Competitive pricing: Amazon often offers competitive pricing, making it an attractive option for people who want to save money.
- 5. Psychological factors: Shopping addiction can be related to underlying psychological factors such as stress, depression, anxiety, or loneliness. Shopping can provide a temporary escape or distraction from these negative emotions.
- 6. Social influence: Social media and peer pressure can also contribute to shopping addiction, as people may feel pressure to keep up with the latest trends or to show off their purchases on social media.
Signs & Symptoms of amazon shopping addiction
Now let’s see if you have the amazon shopping addiction problem.
- 1. You find yourself checking Amazon multiple times a day, even when you don’t need to buy anything.
- 2. You have a long list of items saved in your Amazon wish list or cart that you plan to purchase in the near future.
- 3. You often make purchases on Amazon without considering if you really need the item or if it’s within your budget.
- 4. You have a Prime membership and frequently take advantage of the free two-day shipping and other benefits.
- 5. You have purchased multiple items on Amazon that you already own, simply because you forgot you already had them.
- 6. You find yourself browsing Amazon for hours at a time, losing track of time and neglecting other responsibilities.
- 7. You get excited about receiving packages from Amazon and feel a sense of satisfaction from making frequent purchases on the site.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon shopping: should you quit?
What are some benefits of amazon shopping
1. Wide Selection: Amazon offers a wide range of products from various categories, including electronics, books, clothing, home goods, and many more.
2. Competitive Pricing: Amazon offers competitive prices, making it a great platform for finding deals and discounts.
3. Convenience: Amazon offers a convenient shopping experience with quick delivery, easy returns, and a user-friendly interface.
4. Customer Reviews: Amazon has a large community of customers who leave reviews on products, helping shoppers make informed decisions.
5. Amazon Prime: Amazon Prime membership offers free two-day shipping, access to streaming services, and exclusive discounts.
6. Personalized Recommendations: Amazon uses customer data and machine learning algorithms to provide personalized product recommendations, making the shopping experience more tailored to each individual.
7. Third-Party Sellers: Amazon allows third-party sellers to sell products on their platform, offering a wider range of products and pricing options.
8. Subscription Services: Amazon offers subscription services such as Subscribe & Save, which enables customers to save money on recurring purchases.
Overall, Amazon shopping is great because it offers a wide selection of products at competitive prices, convenient delivery and returns, personalized recommendations, and many other advantages.But at the opposite, what can be some amazon shopping addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
Here are some possible effects of Amazon shopping on one’s health:
- 1. Sedentary lifestyle: Amazon shopping can lead to a sedentary lifestyle as one can shop for goods from the comfort of their home. This can result in a lack of physical activity, which can contribute to obesity and other health issues.
- 2. Eye strain: Constantly staring at a screen while browsing and shopping on Amazon can cause eye strain, leading to headaches, dry eyes, and blurry vision.
- 3. Poor sleep habits: Late-night shopping on Amazon can lead to poor sleep habits, as the blue light from screens can affect sleep patterns.
- 4. Stress: Amazon shopping can also lead to stress, as it can be overwhelming to navigate the vast selection of products and deals.
Additionally, waiting for deliveries can also cause anxiety.
- 5. Financial strain: Impulsive and excessive shopping on Amazon can lead to financial strain and stress, which can have negative effects on one’s mental and physical health.
amazon shopping and sleep disorder
There is no direct evidence to suggest that Amazon shopping can create sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, excessive use of electronic devices, including online shopping apps, before bedtime can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to sleep problems. This is because the blue light emitted by electronic devices can suppress the production of melatonin, a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles.
Additionally, engaging in late-night shopping can be stimulating and lead to increased stress and anxiety, which can also interfere with sleep. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid using electronic devices before bedtime and to practice good sleep hygiene to ensure a restful night’s sleep.
amazon shopping affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of amazon shopping on your brain
There are several potential negative effects of Amazon shopping on your brain, including:
- 1. Addiction: The convenience and ease of Amazon shopping can lead to a shopping addiction, which can have negative consequences on your finances and mental well-being.
- 2. Impulse buying: The constant availability of products on Amazon can lead to impulse buying, which can result in overspending and regretful purchases.
- 3. Increased stress: The constant bombardment of product recommendations and sales can create a sense of urgency and anxiety, leading to increased stress levels.
- 4. Decreased attention span: The ease of scrolling through endless products on Amazon can lead to a decreased attention span and increased distractibility.
- 5. Reduced decision-making abilities: The overwhelming number of choices on Amazon can lead to decision fatigue and reduced decision-making abilities.
- 6. Comparison trap: The ability to easily compare prices and products on Amazon can lead to a constant comparison trap, which can negatively impact self-esteem and confidence.
Overall, while Amazon shopping can be convenient and enjoyable, it is important to be aware of the potential negative effects on your brain and take steps to mitigate them.
Some effects of amazon shopping on your mental health
- 1. Addiction: Amazon shopping can be addictive, leading to compulsive buying behavior that can have a negative effect on mental health.
- 2. Anxiety: The constant bombardment of promotions and deals can cause anxiety and stress, leading to feelings of overwhelm and decision fatigue.
- 3. Depression: The pressure to keep up with the latest trends and constantly buy new products can lead to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem.
- 4. Financial stress: Overspending on Amazon can lead to financial stress, which can cause anxiety, depression, and other mental health problems.
- 5. Social isolation: Shopping on Amazon can be a solitary activity, leading to social isolation and feelings of loneliness.
- 6. Guilt and regret: Impulsive purchases on Amazon can lead to feelings of guilt and regret, which can negatively impact mental health.
- 7. Lack of fulfillment: The instant gratification of buying on Amazon can lead to a lack of fulfillment and a sense of emptiness, which can be detrimental to mental health.
Does amazon shopping cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, Amazon shopping can cause stress or anxiety for some people. Here are a few reasons why:
- 1. Decision fatigue: Amazon offers an overwhelming number of choices for each product, making it difficult to choose the right one.
- 2. Fear of missing out (FOMO): Amazon’s limited-time deals and lightning deals can create a sense of urgency to make a purchase, leading to anxiety and stress.
- 3. Shipping and delivery issues: Late or lost shipments, or items arriving damaged, can cause frustration and anxiety.
- 4. Overspending: The convenience of Amazon’s one-click ordering and easy returns policy can lead to overspending, which can cause financial stress and anxiety.
Overall, while Amazon shopping can be convenient and enjoyable, it is important to be mindful of how it affects your mental health and to take steps to maintain a healthy balance.
Can amazon shopping addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, Amazon shopping addiction can lead to sadness and depression. This is because people who struggle with Amazon shopping addiction may experience negative consequences such as financial problems, relationship issues, and feelings of guilt or shame. These consequences can lead to feelings of sadness and depression, which can worsen over time if the addiction is not addressed.
Additionally, people may turn to Amazon shopping as a coping mechanism to deal with underlying emotional issues, such as anxiety or depression, which can also contribute to feelings of sadness and depression.
Dopamine and amazon shopping
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in pleasure, motivation, and reward. When we experience something pleasurable, such as shopping on Amazon and buying something we want, dopamine is released in our brain. This can create a feeling of satisfaction and reward, which can lead to a desire to continue shopping and buying more items.
Amazon has been known to use various strategies to increase dopamine release in customers, such as personalized recommendations, fast and easy checkout processes, and limited-time offers. These strategies can create a sense of urgency and excitement, which can increase the pleasure and reward experienced during the shopping process.
However, it is important to note that excessive shopping and spending can also lead to negative consequences, such as financial stress and addiction. It is important to practice mindfulness and self-control when engaging in any behavior that can trigger dopamine release.
amazon shopping effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Amazon shopping may affect focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance if it is done excessively or at inappropriate times. Excessive shopping can lead to distractions and a loss of focus on important tasks.
Additionally, shopping during work or study hours can interrupt productivity and reduce attention span.
However, if done in moderation and at appropriate times, Amazon shopping may have little to no effect on focus, productivity, attention span, or academic performance. It is important to maintain a balance and prioritize important tasks before engaging in leisure activities such as shopping.
A word about ADHD and amazon shopping
Research has not specifically looked at the interaction between people with ADHD and Amazon shopping. However, some studies have suggested that people with ADHD may have difficulties with impulse control, decision-making, and distractibility, which could potentially impact their online shopping behavior. For example, they may be more likely to make impulsive purchases, have difficulty comparing prices and products, or become easily distracted by other items on the website. However, it is important to note that each individual with ADHD may experience these challenges differently, and some may have developed coping strategies or use tools such as ad blockers to help them manage their online shopping behavior.
affecting your relationships
amazon shopping and self-esteem
Amazon shopping can potentially affect self-esteem in both positive and negative ways. On the one hand, purchasing items that one desires or needs can give a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, which can boost self-esteem.
Additionally, receiving positive feedback or reviews from others on purchases can also contribute to feelings of validation and self-worth.
On the other hand, excessive or compulsive Amazon shopping can lead to negative consequences, such as financial strain or guilt/shame for overspending. These negative outcomes can have a detrimental effect on self-esteem, leading to feelings of inadequacy or worthlessness.
Overall, the impact of Amazon shopping on self-esteem will depend on the individual’s shopping habits and the emotional significance they attach to the act of shopping and owning material possessions.
amazon shopping addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, Amazon shopping addiction can potentially lead to isolation and loneliness. This is because excessive online shopping can cause individuals to spend more time alone, on their devices, and less time interacting with others in person.
Additionally, if an individual is struggling to manage their finances due to their addiction, they may become more isolated as they avoid social situations where they might be expected to spend money. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and disconnection from others. It is important for individuals who suspect they may have a shopping addiction to seek help and support from mental health professionals or addiction specialists.
Effects of amazon shopping on your relationship
- 1. Convenience: Amazon shopping can save time and energy, making it easier to balance work and personal life, giving you and your partner more quality time together.
- 2. Shared Interests: Shopping on Amazon can help you and your partner discover shared interests or hobbies, leading to more opportunities to bond and share experiences.
- 3. Gift Giving: Amazon shopping can make it easier to find thoughtful gifts for your partner, leading to more romantic and thoughtful gestures.
- 4. Communication: Discussing Amazon orders can lead to open communication about wants, needs and desires. This can strengthen the relationship by making you both aware of each other’s preferences.
- 1. Financial Strain: Amazon shopping can lead to overspending, putting a strain on the relationship and causing financial stress.
- 2. Dependence: Over-reliance on Amazon shopping can lead to a lack of effort in finding unique and thoughtful gifts, causing the relationship to become stagnant.
- 3. Time spent shopping: Spending too much time on Amazon can take away from quality time spent with your partner, leading to feelings of neglect or resentment.
- 4. Trust issues: Amazon shopping history can be a source of distrust in the relationship, leading to questioning of purchases and motives.
How To Stop & quit Your amazon shopping Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to amazon shopping and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for amazon shopping?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your amazon shopping addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the amazon shopping addiction
Here are some steps to help get rid of Amazon shopping addiction:
- 1. Acknowledge the problem: Recognize that you have a shopping addiction and that it is negatively affecting your life.
- 2. Set a budget: Create a budget for yourself and stick to it. Only allow yourself to spend a certain amount of money on Amazon each month.
- 3. Limit access: Remove the Amazon app from your phone and delete your saved credit card information to make it harder to make impulsive purchases.
- 4. Find alternatives: Look for other ways to manage stress or boredom, such as exercising, reading, or spending time with friends.
- 5. Seek support: Talk to a trusted friend or family member about your addiction, or consider seeking professional help from a therapist or support group.
- 6. Take a break: Consider taking a break from Amazon altogether, if necessary, to break the habit and retrain your brain to seek fulfillment elsewhere.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including amazon shopping:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of amazon shopping
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your amazon shopping accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: