Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the amazon prime addiction.
- What’s the amazon prime addiction?
- Addiction to amazon prime, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered amazon prime addiction
- How much amazon prime is too much?
- Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the amazon prime addiction
- Why is amazon prime so addictive?
- Possible causes of amazon prime dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon prime addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon prime
- Some benefits of amazon prime
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your amazon prime addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the amazon prime addiction
- Best amazon prime blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with amazon prime addiction
- Best books about online shopping addiction
- Research about online shopping addiction
What is the amazon prime addiction?
About amazon prime
Amazon Prime is a subscription service offered by Amazon that provides members with benefits such as free two-day shipping, access to streaming of movies, TV shows, and music, unlimited photo storage, and early access to select lightning deals.
Addiction to amazon prime, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes amazon prime addiction?
No, Amazon Prime addiction is not listed as a diagnosable disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5.. However, excessive online shopping or internet addiction can fall under the category of behavioral addictions, which are currently being studied and researched.
So what means “amazon prime addiction”?
There is no official term or recognized medical condition called “Amazon Prime addiction.” However, some people may become overly reliant on the convenience and access to products provided by Amazon Prime, leading to excessive spending and a dependence on the service for their shopping needs. This can result in financial strain and potentially problematic behaviors, but it is not a recognized addiction in the same way as substance abuse or gambling.
What is considered amazon prime addiction?
- 1. Spending excessive amounts of time on Amazon Prime: If you find yourself spending hours browsing through the Amazon Prime library and watching shows or movies, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 2. Neglecting other responsibilities: If you are neglecting other responsibilities such as work, studies, social life, or personal hygiene to binge-watch on Amazon Prime, it is a clear indication of addiction.
- 3. Spending excessive amounts of money: If you are spending more money than you can afford on Amazon Prime subscriptions, renting or buying movies or TV shows, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 4. Difficulty in controlling usage: If you find it difficult to stop or limit your usage of Amazon Prime despite trying to do so, it is a sign of addiction.
- 5. Withdrawal symptoms: If you experience withdrawal symptoms such as irritability or anxiety when you are unable to access Amazon Prime, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 6. Neglecting other hobbies or interests: If you have stopped pursuing other hobbies or interests that used to give you pleasure in favor of Amazon Prime, it may be a sign of addiction.
- 7. Using Amazon Prime to escape from reality: If you are using Amazon Prime as an escape from reality to avoid dealing with personal problems or emotions, it is a sign of addiction.
How much amazon prime is too much?
It depends on how much time an individual has available and how they are using Amazon Prime. If someone is spending all their free time on Amazon Prime and neglecting other important aspects of their life, such as work, family, or social relationships, then that could be considered too much time. It’s important to maintain a healthy balance in all areas of life.
Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
We can provide you with some statistics related to online shopping addiction:
- 1. According to a study by CouponFollow, 57% of online shoppers admit to making a purchase they regretteddue to compulsive shopping behavior.
- 2. A survey conducted by Finder.com found that 23% of Americans have made a purchase they regretted while under the influence of alcohol, highlighting how impulsive online shopping can be.
- 3. A study by Harris Poll found that 81% of Americans have made an online purchase in the past year, and 20% of those shoppers made purchases at least once a week.
- 4. According to a survey by Statista, 42% of online shoppers in the US reported spending more moneyonline than they had intended.
- 5. A study by the University of California, San Francisco found that online shopping addiction affects approximately 5.5% of the US population.
Is the amazon prime addiction widespread?
It can be said that Amazon Prime has a large and loyal customer base due to the convenience of its fast and free shipping, access to exclusive content, and other benefits. Some users may become dependent on the service, but whether this constitutes addiction is subjective and varies from person to person.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon prime addiction
Why is amazon prime so addictive?
- 1. Free and Fast Shipping: Amazon Prime members can get free two-day shipping on eligible items, which can be very convenient for people who shop online frequently.
- 2. Exclusive Deals and Discounts: Amazon Prime members get access to exclusive deals and discounts on a wide range of products, making it more tempting to purchase items from Amazon.
- 3. Streaming Services: Amazon Prime members can also access streaming services like Prime Video, Prime Music, and Prime Reading, which offer a wide selection of movies, TV shows, music, and books.
- 4. Convenience: Amazon Prime offers a seamless shopping experience with features like one-click ordering, easy returns, and the ability to track packages in real-time, making it very convenient for customers.
Overall, the combination of fast shipping, exclusive deals, streaming services, and convenience makes Amazon Prime very addictive for many people.
Possible causes of amazon prime dependency
Here are some of them:
- 1. Convenience: Amazon Prime offers fast and free shipping, making it easy for people to shop online and avoid the hassle of going to physical stores.
- 2. Variety of products: Amazon Prime has a vast selection of products, making it easy for consumers to find what they need in one place.
- 3. Cost-effectiveness: Amazon Prime offers various perks, including free two-day shipping, access to streaming services, and exclusive discounts, making it a more cost-effective option for consumers.
- 4. Social influence: Social media and word-of-mouth recommendations from family and friends may encourage people to sign up for Amazon Prime.
- 5. Marketing strategies: Amazon’s marketing tactics, such as personalized product recommendations and targeted advertising, might contribute to addiction.
- 6. Addiction to online shopping: Some people may have a compulsive shopping habit, and Amazon Prime provides a convenient outlet for their addiction.
It’s worth noting that addiction to anything can be complex and multifaceted, and different people may have different reasons for being addicted to Amazon Prime.
Signs & Symptoms of amazon prime addiction
Now let’s see if you have the amazon prime addiction problem.
- 1. You check Amazon first for any item you need: If Amazon is your first go-to website to buy anything you need, then you might be an Amazon Prime addict.
- 2. You watch Amazon Prime Video all the time: If you find yourself watching Amazon Prime Video more than traditional TV channels, then it’s a clear sign that you are addicted to Amazon Prime.
- 3. You order frequently and take advantage of free shipping: If you frequently order items from Amazon and always take advantage of the free two-day shipping, then you’re probably addicted to Amazon Prime.
- 4. You use Amazon Prime for grocery shopping: If you use Amazon Prime for your grocery shopping, then you might be a Prime addict.
- 5. You use Amazon Prime for music streaming: If you use Amazon Prime for music streaming instead of other platforms like Spotify or Apple Music, then you’re definitely an Amazon Prime addict.
- 6. You use Amazon Prime for reading books: If you use Amazon Prime to read books through their Kindle app instead of buying physical copies or using other e-reader apps, then you’re probably an Amazon Prime addict.
- 7. You eagerly wait for Prime Day: If you eagerly wait for Amazon Prime Day every year and plan your shopping around that day, then it’s a clear sign that you are addicted to Amazon Prime.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon prime: should you quit?
What are some benefits of amazon prime
There are several pros and advantages of Amazon Prime that make it a great service:
- 1. Free Shipping: Amazon Prime members get free two-day shipping on millions of items sold by Amazon. This is a major advantage for those who shop frequently on Amazon and don’t want to pay for shipping fees.
- 2. Streaming Services: Amazon Prime members also have access to Prime Video, Prime Music, and Prime Reading. These services include movies, TV shows, music, and books that can be streamed or downloaded for free.
- 3. Exclusive Deals: Amazon Prime members get access to exclusive deals and discounts on select items. This can save members a significant amount of money on their purchases.
- 4. Early Access: Amazon Prime members get early access to certain sales and promotions before they are available to non-members. This gives members an advantage in getting the best deals before they sell out.
- 5. Convenience: Amazon Prime offers a convenient shopping experience with fast and free shipping, easy returns, and a variety of payment options.
Overall, Amazon Prime is a great service for anyone who shops frequently on Amazon and wants access to a wide range of benefits and services.But at the opposite, what can be some amazon prime addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
We can provide information on the effects of Amazon Prime on health.
Amazon Prime is a service that provides fast and free shipping, access to streaming services, and other benefits. While it can be convenient and time-saving, there are potential negative effects on health, including:
- 1. Sedentary lifestyle: With Amazon Prime, people can order products online without leaving their house, leading to a more sedentary lifestyle that can result in weight gain, muscle loss, and other health issues.
- 2. Increased stress: Prime members may feel pressure to take advantage of the service’s fast shipping and other benefits, leading to increased stress and anxiety.
- 3. Overconsumption: The convenience of Amazon Prime can lead to overconsumption of products, which can lead to health problems such as obesity and financial stress.
- 4. Blue light exposure: Using electronic devices, including those used to access Amazon Prime, can expose users to blue light, which can disrupt sleep patterns and lead to eye strain.
Overall, while Amazon Prime can be helpful for some people, it’s important to be mindful of the potential negative effects on health and make sure to balance convenience with healthy habits.
amazon prime and sleep disorder
It is unlikely that Amazon Prime itself can create sleep disorders or sleep problems. However, excessive use of electronic devices, including streaming services like Amazon Prime, before bedtime can disrupt sleep patterns. The blue light emitted by electronic screens can suppress the production of the hormone melatonin, which is essential for regulating sleep.
Additionally, binge-watching shows on Amazon Prime can lead to staying up later than intended and not getting adequate sleep, which can contribute to sleep problems. It is recommended to limit screen time before bed and establish a regular sleep routine to promote healthy sleep habits.
amazon prime affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of amazon prime on your brain
There are some potential negative effects of excessive use of Amazon Prime on the brain. These include:
- 1. Addiction: Amazon Prime offers fast and convenient delivery of products, which can lead to a sense of instant gratification and addiction to the service.
- 2. Impulse buying: The ease of ordering products on Amazon Prime can lead to impulsive buying, which can hurt one’s financial well-being.
- 3. Decreased attention span: The constant bombardment of product recommendations and notifications can lead to a decrease in attention span and distractibility.
- 4. Reduced physical activity: With Amazon Prime, people can order products from the comfort of their homes, leading to reduced physical activity and potential health problems.
- 5. Increased stress: The pressure to keep up with the latest deals and offers on Amazon Prime can lead to increased stress levels and anxiety.
Some effects of amazon prime on your mental health
- 1. Impulsive Buying: Amazon Prime offers free and fast shipping, which can encourage impulsive buying. This can lead to feelings of guilt and regret, which may negatively impact mental health.
- 2. Addiction: The convenience of Amazon Prime can lead to addiction-like behavior, where people feel the need to constantly check for new deals or make purchases. This kind of behavior can be detrimental to mental health and lead to feelings of anxiety and stress.
- 3. Comparison to Others: Social media platforms like Amazon Prime can lead to feelings of inadequacy and comparison to others. Seeing others receive their packages or enjoying their purchases may lead to feelings of envy or FOMO, which can negatively impact mental health.
- 4. Decreased Physical Activity: The convenience of Amazon Prime may lead to a decrease in physical activity, which can negatively impact mental health. Exercise has been shown to have positive effects on mental health, and a sedentary lifestyle can lead to depression and anxiety.
- 5. Financial Stress: Amazon Prime can lead to increased spending and financial stress, which can negatively impact mental health. Overspending or living beyond one’s means can lead to feelings of anxiety, stress, and depression.
Does amazon prime cause stress and anxiety?
It is possible that excessive use of Amazon Prime or any other online shopping service can lead to stress or anxiety. This can happen if a person becomes addicted to online shopping or spends too much money on it, leading to financial stress.
Additionally, the pressure to meet delivery deadlines or the fear of missing out on deals can also cause anxiety. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and practice mindful consumption.
Can amazon prime addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for an addiction to Amazon Prime to lead to feelings of sadness and depression. Excessive online shopping and dependence on the instant gratification of Amazon Prime deliveries can lead to financial strain, isolation, and a lack of fulfillment in other aspects of life.
Additionally, the constant consumption and accumulation of material possessions through online shopping can lead to a feeling of emptiness and a lack of purpose. It is important to practice moderation and seek help if addiction to Amazon Prime or any other form of shopping becomes a problem.
Dopamine and amazon prime
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is associated with pleasure and reward in the brain. Amazon Prime, on the other hand, is a subscription service offered by Amazon that provides members with various benefits, including free and fast shipping, access to streaming of movies and TV shows, and other exclusive discounts and perks.
There is a potential link between dopamine and Amazon Prime in terms of the pleasure and reward that users may experience when using the service. For example, the fast and free shipping may lead to feelings of satisfaction and pleasure, which can trigger the release of dopamine in the brain. Similarly, users may feel rewarded when accessing exclusive content through the streaming service or when taking advantage of exclusive discounts and deals, which can also stimulate the release of dopamine.
However, it is important to note that dopamine is a complex neurotransmitter that is involved in a wide range of functions in the brain, and its role in the context of Amazon Prime is likely to be influenced by a variety of individual factors, such as personality, expectations, and previous experiences with the service.
amazon prime effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
Amazon Prime is a subscription service that provides fast and free shipping, access to a vast selection of movies, TV shows, and music, as well as other benefits. While Amazon Prime can be a convenient and helpful service, it can also have some negative effects on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance.
Here are some ways Amazon Prime can affect these areas:
- 1. Distraction: With access to a vast selection of TV shows, movies, and other entertainment options, it can be easy to get distracted from important tasks. This can lead to a lack of focus and productivity, which can negatively impact academic performance.
- 2. Time Management: Amazon Prime’s fast and free shipping options can make it tempting to spend time browsing and shopping online, which can take away from time that could be spent studying or working on assignments.
- 3. Budgeting: Amazon Prime can make it easy to overspend on unnecessary items, which can lead to financial stress and distraction from academic responsibilities.
- 4. Sleep: Late-night binge-watching of TV shows or movies on Amazon Prime can disrupt sleep patterns, leading to fatigue, decreased focus, and reduced productivity.
In conclusion, while Amazon Prime can be a convenient and helpful service, it’s essential to use it in moderation and practice good time management to avoid negative impacts on focus, productivity, attention span, and academic performance.
A word about ADHD and amazon prime
We can provide some general information about how ADHD may affect someone’s online shopping experience.
People with ADHD may experience difficulties with focus, organization, and impulse control, which can affect their online shopping behavior. For example, they may find it harder to stay on task while browsing for products, forget items in their cart, or make impulsive purchases.
On the other hand, Amazon Prime’s features such as fast shipping, easy returns, and access to a wide range of products may be helpful for people with ADHD who value efficiency and convenience.
Additionally, the ability to set up recurring deliveries for frequently used items can help reduce the cognitive load of remembering to reorder.
Overall, how someone with ADHD interacts with Amazon Prime will likely depend on their individual symptoms and coping strategies.
affecting your relationships
amazon prime and self-esteem
On one hand, having access to fast and convenient deliveries of products can lead to a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, which can boost self-esteem.
Additionally, being able to afford a subscription to Amazon Prime can also make individuals feel financially secure and capable, which can also positively impact self-esteem.
On the other hand, constantly relying on Amazon Prime for purchases can lead to a lack of confidence in one’s ability to shop and make decisions independently. This dependency can also lead to feelings of guilt or shame if an individual cannot afford the subscription or feels like they are overspending on unnecessary purchases.
Overall, the impact of Amazon Prime on self-esteem can vary from person to person and depend on individual circumstances and beliefs.
amazon prime addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Amazon Prime addiction can lead to isolation and loneliness if it becomes a person’s primary source of entertainment and social interaction. If someone spends excessive amounts of time shopping, watching movies, and TV shows on Amazon Prime, they may neglect their relationships and social life outside of the internet. Over time, this can lead to feelings of loneliness and social isolation, which can have negative effects on mental health and well-being. It’s important for individuals to find a healthy balance between online activities and real-life interactions to maintain a fulfilling and satisfying life.
Effects of amazon prime on your relationship
- 1. Increased convenience: With Amazon Prime, couples can easily order household essentials, gifts, and other items with just a few clicks. This can reduce stress and save time and effort.
- 2. Shared interests: With access to Amazon Prime Video, couples can enjoy watching movies and TV shows together, which can foster shared interests and help strengthen their bond.
- 3. Cost savings: Amazon Prime offers discounts and free shipping on select items, which can help couples save money on their purchases.
- 4. Improved communication: With Amazon Prime, couples can quickly and easily communicate about which items to order and when they will arrive, which can help improve their communication skills.
- 1. Addiction to online shopping: With the convenience of Amazon Prime, couples may become addicted to online shopping, which can lead to overspending and financial stress.
- 2. Less time spent in person: With the ability to order items online and have them delivered, couples may spend less time together in person, which can strain their relationship.
- 3. Disagreements over spending: If one partner is more inclined to use Amazon Prime than the other, it can lead to disagreements over spending priorities, which can cause tension in the relationship.
- 4. Lack of variety: Relying solely on Amazon Prime for purchases can limit the variety of products that couples are exposed to, which can lead to a lack of diversity in their interests and hobbies.
How To Stop & quit Your amazon prime Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to amazon prime and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for amazon prime?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your amazon prime addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the amazon prime addiction
Here are some general steps that might help an individual to get rid of Amazon Prime addiction:
- 1. Acknowledge and accept the addiction: The first step in overcoming any addiction is to recognize and accept that you have a problem.
- 2. Set a goal: Set a specific goal for reducing or eliminating your Amazon Prime usage. For example, you can aim to reduce your usage by a certain percentage each week or month.
- 3. Identify triggers: Determine what triggers your urge to use Amazon Prime. Is it boredom, stress, or social pressure? Once you know the triggers, you can work on avoiding or managing them.
- 4. Create a plan: Develop a plan to reduce your Amazon Prime usage. This might include finding alternative sources for entertainment or setting a specific time limit for using the service.
- 5. Seek support: Reach out to friends, family, or a support group for help in overcoming your addiction.
- 6. Stay persistent: Breaking an addiction takes time and effort. Stay persistent and remain focused on your goal, even if you experience setbacks along the way.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including amazon prime:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of amazon prime
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your amazon prime accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: