Welcome to our digital detoxing series! A series on how to stop addictions toFortnite,Facebook,Instagram,porn,Netflix, Youtube,Tinder… Findall the posts about digital addiction. Today, let’s talk about how to quit the amazon addiction.
- What’s the amazon addiction?
- Addiction to amazon, a “real” addiction?
- What’s considered amazon addiction
- How much amazon is too much?
- Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
- Symptoms & Causes of the amazon addiction
- Why is amazon so addictive?
- Possible causes of amazon dependency
- Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon addiction
- Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon
- Some benefits of amazon
- health problems
- impact on brain & mental health
- impact on relationships
- How to stop & quit your amazon addiction
- Main steps and solutions to break the amazon addiction
- Best amazon blocker apps & functionalities
- where to seek extra help?
- To Go Further
- How to help someone with amazon addiction
- Best books about online shopping addiction
- Research about online shopping addiction
What is the amazon addiction?
Amazon is an online retailer selling a wide range of products, from groceries to electronics.
Addiction to amazon, a “real” addiction?
Officially an addiction?
First, let’s have a look to the DSM-5,the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Does it includes amazon addiction?
No, Amazon addiction is not listed in the DSM-5. It is not recognized as an official mental health disorder.
So what means “amazon addiction”?
Amazon addiction is a term used to describe the compulsive need to shop on the Amazon website. People who suffer from Amazon addiction may feel an urge to constantly browse and buy products on the site, and may even find themselves spending large amounts of money on items they do not need or cannot afford.
What is considered amazon addiction?
- 1. Preoccupation with Amazon and making purchases on the site.
- 2. Spending more money than originally planned when shopping on Amazon.
- 3. Sacrificing important activities such as work or socializing to make time for Amazon shopping.
- 4. Feelings of guilt or distress when not shopping on Amazon.
- 5. Constantly checking and monitoring Amazon sales and promotions.
- 6. Spending more time on Amazon than on other activities, such as work or relationships.
- 7. Struggling to focus on other activities due to thoughts of Amazon shopping.
- 8. Feeling irritable or anxious when unable to shop on Amazon.
- 9. Neglecting hobbies and other interests due to Amazon shopping.
- 10. Increasing the amount of money spent on Amazon over time.
How much amazon is too much?
The amount of time spent on Amazon is ultimately up to the individual and what works best for them. It is important to make sure that time spent on Amazon does not interfere with other activities, such as work, family time, or leisure activities.
Some online shopping addiction facts & statistics
We can provide you with some statistics related to online shopping addiction:
- 1. According to a study by CouponFollow, 57% of online shoppers admit to making a purchase they regretteddue to compulsive shopping behavior.
- 2. A survey conducted by Finder.com found that 23% of Americans have made a purchase they regretted while under the influence of alcohol, highlighting how impulsive online shopping can be.
- 3. A study by Harris Poll found that 81% of Americans have made an online purchase in the past year, and 20% of those shoppers made purchases at least once a week.
- 4. According to a survey by Statista, 42% of online shoppers in the US reported spending more moneyonline than they had intended.
- 5. A study by the University of California, San Francisco found that online shopping addiction affects approximately 5.5% of the US population.
Is the amazon addiction widespread?
Amazon is one of the largest e-commerce marketplaces in the world, and it offers a wide range of products and services that are easily accessible to customers. It’s possible that some people may become addicted to the convenience and variety that Amazon provides. However, it’s important to note that addiction is a serious issue that requires professional help, and it’s not something that should be taken lightly.
Symptoms, Causes and Signs of amazon addiction
Why is amazon so addictive?
Amazon is so addictive because of its wide variety of products and services, convenient shipping and delivery options, easy checkout process, and attractive discounts and deals. Amazon also offers a personalized shopping experience and provides customers with recommendations based on their previous purchases and browsing history. The site also has a rewards program and loyalty incentives that can further entice customers to keep coming back.
Possible causes of amazon dependency
- 1. Accessibility: The convenience of online shopping encourages people to shop more than they would in a physical store.
- 2. Low prices: Many online retailers offer discounts, coupons, and other promotions that can make shopping more cost-effective than traditional shopping.
- 3. Variety of choices: Online stores offer a much larger selection of products than physical stores, making it easier to find just the right item.
- 4. Social media: The proliferation of social media platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest can make it easier for people to find and purchase items of interest.
- 5. Impulse buying: Shopping online makes it easier to buy impulsively, without considering the cost or practicality of the purchase.
- 6. Stress relief: Shopping can be a way of relieving stress and anxiety, providing a temporary distraction from life’s problems.
- 7. Cravings for novelty: Shopping for new items can provide a sense of excitement and novelty.
- 8. Escapism: Shopping can be a way of escaping from difficult emotions or situations.
Signs & Symptoms of amazon addiction
Now let’s see if you have the amazon addiction problem.
- 1. You automatically check Amazon when looking for something, even if you know you can find it cheaper somewhere else.
- 2. You have an Amazon Prime membership and use it for free shipping and other perks.
- 3. You always look for the best deals on Amazon and find yourself checking prices multiple times a day.
- 4. You feel like you can’t live without Amazon Alexa or other Amazon products.
- 5. You have multiple Amazon accounts so you can access different deals.
- 6. You have a stockpile of Amazon items that you bought “just in case”.
- 7. You have a list of items you plan to buy on Amazon as soon as they come back in stock.
Problems, impacts & bad effects of amazon: should you quit?
What are some benefits of amazon
1. Wide Variety of Products: Amazon offers a huge selection of products ranging from books and electronics to apparel, toys, and home goods.
2. Convenience: Amazon makes it easy to shop from the comfort of your home or on the go with its mobile app. Customers can also take advantage of Amazon Prime two-day shipping, which is free with a Prime membership.
3. Low Prices: Amazon offers competitive prices on many products, and customers can often find discounts on items.
4. Great Customer Service: Amazon has an extensive customer service network, and customers can leave reviews on items to help other shoppers make better-informed decisions.
5. Easy Returns: Amazon makes it easy to return items that don’t work out, and customers can often get refunds quickly.But at the opposite, what can be some amazon addiction problems addicts suffer from?
general health problems
- 1. Increased Stress: The demands of online shopping can be overwhelming, causing stress and anxiety. This can lead to poor mental and physical health, such as headaches, fatigue, and depression.
- 2. Sleep Deprivation: Staying up late to shop online can result in sleep deprivation and can lead to serious health issues such as a weakened immune system, weight gain, and depression.
- 3. Eye Strain: Spending too much time looking at a computer or smartphone screen can cause eye strain and can lead to headaches, blurred vision, and dry eyes.
- 4. Posture Problems: Sitting in a poor posture while shopping on Amazon can lead to back and neck pain, as well as other musculoskeletal issues.
amazon and sleep disorder
There are some factors that could potentially impact sleep quality, such as blue light emitted by electronic devices, excessive screen time, and disruptive noises. Amazon’s products, such as Alexa and Kindle, may contribute to these factors, but it ultimately depends on how they are used by the individual. It is important to practice good sleep hygiene habits, such as avoiding electronic devices before bedtime, keeping a consistent sleep schedule, and creating a relaxing sleep environment, to promote good sleep quality.
amazon affecting your brain & mental health: bad for brain and mental health?
Some effects of amazon on your brain
- 1. Increased Stress: Using Amazon can be stressful due to the vastness of the site and the need to make decisions quickly. This can lead to mental exhaustion and even anxiety.
- 2. Distraction: Amazon can be a major distraction from other activities that may be more beneficial to your brain. It can be difficult to focus on tasks when Amazon is so readily available.
- 3. Loss of Memory: Spending too much time on Amazon can lead to a decreased ability to remember things, as your brain is focused on trying to find the best deal or item on the site.
- 4. Lack of Social Interaction: Using Amazon can lead to a lack of social interaction, as you don’t have to talk to anyone to purchase items. This can lead to feelings of loneliness and depression.
Some effects of amazon on your mental health
- 1. Increased Stress: Amazon’s fast-paced environment and high expectations can cause an increase in stress levels, leading to anxiety and other mental health issues.
- 2. Reduced Sleep: Working long hours on Amazon can lead to sleep deprivation, which can affect your mental health.
- 3. Isolation: Working from home can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation which can lead to depression and other mental health issues.
- 4. Poor Work-Life Balance: Amazon’s demands for productivity can lead to a lack of balance between work and personal life, resulting in mental health issues.
- 5. Lack of Human Interaction: Working on Amazon can reduce your interactions with other people, leading to a lack of social support, which can lead to mental health issues.
Does amazon cause stress and anxiety?
Yes, Amazon can cause stress or anxiety in some people. Here are some reasons why:
1. Overwhelming options: Amazon offers a vast selection of products, which can be overwhelming to some people. This can lead to decision paralysis or anxiety about making the right choice.
2. Delivery timelines: Amazon promises fast delivery times, which can create pressure to order items quickly and frequently. This can cause stress for those who feel obligated to keep up with the fast-paced delivery system.
3. Financial strain: Amazon’s convenience and accessibility can make it easy to overspend or impulse buy, which can lead to financial stress or anxiety.
4. Social comparison: Amazon’s user reviews and ratings can create a sense of social comparison, leading to anxiety about making the right purchase or being judged by others for their choices.
Overall, while Amazon can be a convenient and useful service for many people, it’s important to be mindful of how it affects our stress levels and to take breaks from online shopping when needed.
Can amazon addiction lead to sadness and depression?
Yes, it is possible for Amazon addiction to lead to sadness and depression. Addiction to online shopping can cause financial stress, social isolation, feelings of guilt or shame, and a sense of loss of control. Over time, these negative effects can lead to low mood and depression.
Additionally, the temporary sense of happiness or satisfaction that comes from making a purchase can lead to a cycle of emotional highs and lows, further exacerbating feelings of sadness and depression. It is important to seek help if you or someone you know is struggling with online shopping addiction.
Dopamine and amazon
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter in the brain that plays a role in pleasure and reward. Amazon, on the other hand, is an online retailer that offers a wide range of products and services.
There is a connection between dopamine and Amazon in the context of online shopping. When people make a purchase on Amazon, they experience a release of dopamine in their brain, which creates a sense of pleasure and satisfaction. This is because online shopping provides a sense of instant gratification, convenience, and the ability to find almost anything you need in one place.
Amazon’s business model is also designed to stimulate dopamine release. The company uses personalized recommendations, fast shipping, and easy returns to create a seamless shopping experience that keeps customers coming back for more. The more people shop on Amazon, the more dopamine they release, which can create a cycle of addiction to the platform.
Overall, the connection between dopamine and Amazon highlights the powerful influence that online shopping can have on our brains and behavior.
amazon effects on Focus, productivity, attention span, academic performance…
There is no clear consensus on whether Amazon specifically affects focus, productivity, attention span, or academic performance. However, online shopping in general can be a potential distraction and lead to decreased focus and productivity if it becomes a frequent habit. It can also be a time-consuming activity that distracts from studying and other important tasks.
Additionally, excessive use of technology, including online shopping, has been linked to decreased attention span and academic performance in some studies. Ultimately, it is important for individuals to monitor their own online shopping habits and ensure that they are not negatively impacting their focus, productivity, attention span, or academic performance.
A word about ADHD and amazon
There is no definitive answer to this question as different people with ADHD may have different interactions with Amazon. However, some possible ways in which people with ADHD may interact differently with Amazon include:
1. Hyperfocus on product research: People with ADHD may have a tendency to hyperfocus on a task or interest, which could lead them to spend more time than others researching products on Amazon. They may also be more likely to read reviews and compare prices before making a purchase.
2. Impulsive buying: On the other hand, people with ADHD may also be more prone to impulsive buying on Amazon, especially if they are feeling bored or distracted. The ease and convenience of shopping on Amazon can make it tempting for people with ADHD to make purchases without thinking them through.
3. Use of Alexa and other voice assistants: People with ADHD may find it helpful to use voice assistants like Alexa to help them stay organized and on track with their tasks. They may use Alexa to set reminders, make to-do lists, or order products on Amazon.
4. Difficulty with online shopping tasks: People with ADHD may struggle with some aspects of online shopping, such as filling out forms, entering payment information, or navigating complex websites. They may find it helpful to use tools like autofill or password managers to simplify these tasks.
Overall, people with ADHD may have both positive and negative interactions with Amazon, depending on their individual strengths and challenges.
affecting your relationships
amazon and self-esteem
Amazon can have both positive and negative effects on self-esteem.
– Convenience and accessibility of purchasing goods can increase feelings of self-sufficiency and independence.
– Being able to purchase desired items can provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
– Positive feedback from others, such as receiving high ratings or positive reviews, can boost self-esteem.
– Comparison to others who may have more or better items can lead to feelings of inadequacy or low self-worth.
– Negative feedback or reviews can lead to feelings of failure or disappointment.
– Over-reliance on Amazon or excessive spending can lead to feelings of guilt or shame.
Overall, it is important to maintain a balanced and healthy relationship with Amazon and recognize the potential impact it may have on self-esteem.
amazon addiction leads to isolation and loneliness?
Yes, excessive use of Amazon or any other online shopping platform can lead to isolation and loneliness. When people become addicted to online shopping, they may spend a lot of time browsing and making purchases online, which can lead to a lack of social interaction with friends and family.
Additionally, individuals may feel ashamed or embarrassed about their excessive spending habits and may withdraw from social situations to avoid judgment or scrutiny. Over time, this can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation. It is important for individuals to monitor their online shopping habits and seek help if they feel they may be struggling with addiction.
Effects of amazon on your relationship
- 1. Convenience: Amazon offers convenience in terms of shopping for gifts, household items, and other necessities. This can reduce stress and allow for more quality time spent with your partner.
- 2. Savings: Amazon often offers competitive prices, discounts, and deals which can help save money in the long run.
- 3. Shared interests: Amazon offers a wide range of products, allowing couples to share and explore their interests together. This can lead to a stronger bond and shared experiences.
- 1. Impulse buying: Amazon makes it easy to buy things with one-click ordering, leading to impulse buying that can strain finances and cause arguments.
- 2. Addiction: Amazon addiction can lead to excessive spending, and can take away from quality time spent with a partner.
- 3. Dependence: Over-reliance on Amazon for shopping needs can decrease the need for communication and planning between partners, leading to a lack of intimacy and connection.
How To Stop & quit Your amazon Addiction
Finally you think you are addicted to amazon and you are wondering how to quit it? How to break and overcome your cravings for amazon?
Here are the best solutions, steps, supports, resources and help you can get to treat your amazon addiction.
Main steps and solutions to break the amazon addiction
- 1. Recognize the problem: Acknowledge that you have an addiction to Amazon and the need to break free from it.
- 2. Declutter your environment: Remove all items related to Amazon from your home, such as Amazon boxes, devices, and other reminders of your Amazon purchases.
- 3. Set boundaries: Limit your access to Amazon by deleting your account, unsubscribing from promotional emails, and blocking the website on your phone and computer.
- 4. Find alternative activities: Replace the time and energy spent shopping on Amazon by engaging in activities that can help you lead a healthier lifestyle.
- 5. Seek professional help: If you are unable to break your addiction on your own, consider seeking help from a mental health professional.
Actually, that’s what most documentation out there is about… However, quitting a digital addiction can be a bit trickier than that.
So our team, after testing many ways, designed a bulletproof way to overcome them. Here are some clear and practical steps that are very powerful to quit a digital addiction, including amazon:
1. Purge temptations: Get rid of amazon
First, cleaning your life from temptations is much easier than resisting to them. Disable or delete your amazon accounts, change the password and hide it somewhere you can’t access easily, keep your phone / computer far away… Out of sight out of mind.
Here is a video from our course the The Digital Purge. on how to add resistance to your temptations, so you become so lazy to engage with them that you give them up: